Certificate Of Residency - Chiang Mai.

Dmaxdan

I can't find this posted anywhere else, so here goes....

Today I went to the immigration office over the road from the Promenada to order certificate of residence, only to be told that as of this week they are now only available from the Promenada itself.

You now have to go to small agents office next to the photocopiers. The cost is still 500 baht.

I know that this is an old question ... but did you get a receipt for your 500 Baht ? I suspect that you didn't, because officially there is *no* charge for the service, and that therefore these monies are simply ending up in someone's "unofficial" pocket.

What is the benefit of such certificate? Why not apply for a Thai citizenship instead?

Because applying for citizenship is a lot more involved....at least it is nowadays.

A certificate of residence is used for many things albeit bureaucratic bullocks. ...but

then we as falangs don't make the rules.

I know that this is an old question ... but did you get a receipt for your 500 Baht ? I suspect that you didn't, because officially there is *no* charge for the service, and that therefore these monies are simply ending up in someone's "unofficial" pocket.

No receipt. Just a ticket with a date of when you need to return to pickup the certificate. Who knows where the money ends up....

Actually the last time I applied for a certificate was about two years ago at the old (airport) office. Then, if you where prepared to wait a week then it was free.

What is the benefit of such certificate? Why not apply for a Thai citizenship instead?

He is talking about a certificate of residence (proof of address), you seem to be confusing it with permanent residence.

Sophon

Thank you to the OP. I too was surprised this hasn't been brought up before.

I had to get a 'certificate' in order to renew my driver's licenses a few days ago. I knew I now had to go to the 'agent' office to get one. This to me seems wrong on many counts but I had little choice. On the upside, there was no waiting. I actually went in at lunch time and there was one man sitting at a desk. I gave him all my necessary paperwork which he quickly perused. He gave me a number, said come back tomorrow, "500 baht please". I was finished in minutes. Went back the following day picked up the residence certificate. Hassle free, no waiting, that's not all bad.

That said, I do still feel this is ethically wrong, Can one go to any of the other agents and get this certificate? I doubt it.