Advice on visa now double-entry tourist visa is gone

Can somebody confirm, with something besides what somebody said to somebody at CW, that SETV, double-entry and triple-entry tourist visas will all be discontinued after13 NOV in conjunction with the new METV? When I first heard about the METV, I sort of suspected this was actually the real agenda, but as of late last month at least two Honorary Consulates I know of had absolutely no awareness of the discontinuation of the old TV options, just the new METV. (Of course triple-entries have been getting harder & harder to get in recent years, and in some places even the double-entry hasn't been possible.)

Not a huge deal for me one way or the other. Just wondering if there's anything official.

Edited by Maestro
corrected terminology

I am in a similar bind. I could buy the Elite visa, but have always been on the fence about staying on in Thailand anyway. One of the reasons I've stayed so long has been the ease of staying here combined with all the wonderful things Thailand has to offer. But now that I'm facing the decision of 500,000 baht for an elite card or an annoying and uncertain tourist visa situation, I'll be leaving.

To me it looks like the idea behind METV and scrapping doubles was indeed to promote the Elite. They want more $. I think quite a few will come to the same conclusion as you, especially given the direction Thailand is heading. Not worth it. Only reason left to stay here is the country's location, it's easy to explore other SEA countries from here.
Yes I agree with you, I fill sorry for all the backpackers who now can't go over land and get 30 days on arrival, I did that when I was a lot younger and returned to Thailand about 4 times on one trip, what a nightmare they must be having

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Why would a "back packer" be refused a visa-exempt entry?

All that is being discouraged is repeated back to back attempts to get VEE's .

Want to apportion blame?

Then blame those who deliberately exploited the visa exempt facility as a means of remaining in Thailand.

Can somebody confirm, with something besides what somebody said to somebody at CW, that SETV, double-entry and triple-entry tourist visas will all be discontinued after13 NOV in conjunction with the new METV? When I first heard about the METV, I sort of suspected this was actually the real agenda, but as of late last month at least two Honorary Consulates I know of had absolutely no awareness of the discontinuation of the old TV options, just the new METV. (Of course triple-entries have been getting harder & harder to get in recent years, and in some places even the double-entry hasn't been possible.)

It's on all there Web sites but the single is not going not yet

Not a huge deal for me one way or the other. Just wondering if there's anything official.

From what I've see in here and in the UK Thai Embassy site,you can still get the Single tourist visa after the 13th,but not the double or triple. I use the double from the UK,but not now

A single entry tourist visa will still be available.

The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa is replacing the 2 and 3 entry tourist visas.

This from the DC embassy website. http://thaiembdc.org/tourist-visa-category-tr-multiple-metv/

Tourist Visa Category “TR” Multiple (METV)

*** officially launched to tourists of all nationalities and from Friday 13 November 2015***

*** replace the tourist visas previously issued for two and three entries which will be no longer available by 13 November 2015***

A single entry tourist visa will still be available.

The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa is replacing the 2 and 3 entry tourist visas.

This from the DC embassy website. http://thaiembdc.org/tourist-visa-category-tr-multiple-metv/

Tourist Visa Category TR Multiple (METV)

*** officially launched to tourists of all nationalities and from Friday 13 November 2015***

*** replace the tourist visas previously issued for two and three entries which will be no longer available by 13 November 2015***

Thanks! Yeap - that's what I thought was going to happen - I just thought there'd be a phasing out rather than a blanket discontinuation ICW the METV introduction. 'Wonder if the usual inconsistencies will result in some consulates still continuing to issue double-entry tourist visas.

Edited by Maestro
corrected terminology

Sell one of your rental properties and buy an Elite card with the equity. If your properties are mortaged you are soon going to be getting a lot less income when the tax relieve on mortgage payments ends so probably wont be in a position to stay here or anywhere else. Just a bit of forward thinking.

Good ideal but I have no plans to sell yet maybe never

Also when I hered about that new tax law I looked into it and I don't think it will effect me,i can't remember why it might be because I am on interest only morgatge's, or that I don't make much money any way, I am more worried about intrest rates going up, or i herd that if you become a non resident you will loose your tax free allowance which i herd old Gorge Osborne is talking about in the future

Maybe I will be going home anyway because of the above, if that happens I will just get a bed sit work for six months and come back on a METV

then maybe keep doing that for a few years

Once the rules come into effect, you will only be able to deduct mortgage interest from your taxable earnings if you hold your properties in a company. Individual tax allowances will be withdrawn, so from what you are saying, you will be affected. Whether you are interest only or repayment is irrelevant. Whether you make any profit at all will depend on how much profit you make after both tax and mortgage payments, as you will be taxed on your income less only repairs and maintenance, which tends to be fractional compared to most people's mortgage payments.

If you register as a non-resident, you lose your personal allowances for that tax year. This already is in place.

Tosh... They muted the idea of removing PTA from non-UK Tax Residents in April/May 2014 but after reviewing it dismissed the idea in December 2014 http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/expat-money/11272572/Expats-will-keep-their-tax-break.html.

That doesn't mean they won't bring it back but at the moment you still get the full allowance.

To the OP, I don't know how old you are or what profession you're in but to be living of rental income from properties that are mortgaged interest only sounds like a very precarious position to be in when the inevitable happens & interest rates go up.

Sell one of your rental properties and buy an Elite card with the equity. If your properties are mortaged you are soon going to be getting a lot less income when the tax relieve on mortgage payments ends so probably wont be in a position to stay here or anywhere else. Just a bit of forward thinking.

Also when I hered about that new tax law I looked into it and I don't think it will effect me,i can't remember why it might be because I am on interest only morgatge's, or that I don't make much money any way, I am more worried about intrest rates going up, or i herd that if you become a non resident you will loose your tax free allowance which i herd old Gorge Osborne is talking about in the future

Maybe I will be going home anyway because of the above, if that happens I will just get a bed sit work for six months and come back on a METV

Once the rules come into effect, you will only be able to deduct mortgage interest from your taxable earnings if you hold your properties in a company. Individual tax allowances will be withdrawn, so from what you are saying, you will be affected. Whether you are interest only or repayment is irrelevant. Whether you make any profit at all will depend on how much profit you make after both tax and mortgage payments, as you will be taxed on your income less only repairs and maintenance, which tends to be fractional compared to most people's mortgage payments.

If you register as a non-resident, you lose your personal allowances for that tax year. This already is in place.

Tosh... They muted the idea of removing PTA from non-UK Tax Residents in April/May 2014 but after reviewing it dismissed the idea in December 2014 http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/expat-money/11272572/Expats-will-keep-their-tax-break.html.

That doesn't mean they won't bring it back but at the moment you still get the full allowance.

To the OP, I don't know how old you are or what profession you're in but to be living of rental income from properties that are mortgaged interest only sounds like a very precarious position to be in when the inevitable happens & interest rates go up.

that is ok i will just return to work if that happends

and i can i can handle a slight rise anyway

Edited by juice777

This debate about UK tax does not belong here.

Take it to a more appropriate forum.

Why do so many Westerners feel that they have some sort of birth-right to just rock up to a country and stay there as long as they want? :huh:

Thailand is fantastic,, visa wise, If you don't fit into one of the many, many categories (there is pretty much a category for everyone!), then leave as you have no right to be here.

:)

Why do so many Westerners feel that they have some sort of birth-right to just rock up to a country and stay there as long as they want? huh.png

Thailand is fantastic,, visa wise, If you don't fit into one of the many, many categories (there is pretty much a category for everyone!), then leave as you have no right to be here.

smile.png

Under 50, single, not working, unsure how long will be here.

Which visa?

• Like 1

Is the Elite card out of financial reach?

I would think that 500.000 Baht every five years would be out of financial reach for the vast majority of under fifties.

Especially when there is no return for it.

Even if it is within the financial reach, for many it is a bad option as it's a fee for 5 years coverage when most not 100% sure what doing in next 6 months.

Yes the tourist visas have been abused for years by long term stayers but for many under 50 that is because of one limiting requirement on the Non-Immigrant O-A visa that really makes no sense, the age requirement.

An over 50 with a pension of 65k is more desirable than someone under that age with income 5 times more, why?

Really the only ways to solve this is give a 1 year option on the elite (100k per year) or remove the age requirement on the other visas.

100k per year is still far to expensive, especially for the under fifties. You get nothing back in return.

Edited by possum1931

SETV is unaffected

Nearly every embassy announcement about METV has also announced withdrawal of double-entry and triple-entry tourist visas (latter if they still issued them)

Some examples

http://thaiembdc.org/tourist-visa-category-tr-multiple-metv/

Edited by Maestro
corrected terminology

Just curious if I was to get married

How easy is it 2 stay here then?

Very easy! Once married...................

Apply for a single entry "O" visa based on marriage and then apply for a one year extension of stay which requires 400.000 Bht in a Thai bank or a provable income of 40,000 Bht/month

• Like 1

Just curious if I was to get married

How easy is it 2 stay here then?

Very easy! Once married...................

Apply for a single entry "O" visa based on marriage and then apply for a one year extension of stay which requires 400.000 Bht in a Thai bank or a provable income of 40,000 Bht/month

Would rental income from the UK be ok

If so I better renew my thai love links account

Or start tracking down some of ex's I let some great ones go before lol

Why do so many Westerners feel that they have some sort of birth-right to just rock up to a country and stay there as long as they want? huh.png

smile.png

Which visa?

None.

They have no birth-right to be here.

"unsure how long will be here."

Do you think that people automatically to have the right to rock-up to a place and decide, hey, I'm staying here as long as I want to!! no I'm not going to work, study, volunteer or be a tourist, have any connections to the country such as a wife/husband or child, but I'm d @mn well staying as long as I want!

The sheer arrogance on display is staggering.

Aliens that are working, studying, volunteering, married, have a kid, retired, tourist, etc.

There are simple visas and extensions for all of them.

Don't fit in, why are you here, get out and either live in a country that you have a birth right to live in, or move someplace that allows you to.

It's staggeringly simple.

coffee1.gif

Since the SETV will last, you could do every three months a visa-run. So far it wasn't a problem to get a double-entry tourist visa 3 or even 4 times on a row from the same embassy / consulate. In the case this will not change, you could got to Vientianne, Savannakhet or somewhere else. Just rotate. But then i would prefer to fly. It's not sooo expensive.

Edited by Maestro
corrected terminology

Since the SETV will last, you could do every three months a visa-run. So far it wasn't a problem to get a double-entry tourist visa 3 or even 4 times on a row from the same embassy / consulate. In the case this will not change, you could got to Vientianne, Savannakhet or somewhere else. Just rotate. But then i would prefer to fly. It's not sooo expensive.

Thanks for the good advice

smile.png

Which visa?

None.

Do you think that people automatically to have the right to rock-up to a place and decide, hey, I'm staying here as long as I want to!! no I'm not going to work, study, volunteer or be a tourist, have any connections to the country such as a wife/husband or child, but I'm d @mn well staying as long as I want!

Aliens that are working, studying, volunteering, married, have a kid, retired, tourist, etc.

Don't fit in, why are you here, get out and either live in a country that you have a birth right to live in, or move someplace that allows you to.

coffee1.gif

I suppose I should be at home paying your pension

I'm 36.

smile.png

Which visa?

None.

coffee1.gif

I suppose I should be at home paying your pension

I'm 36.

Well chill out then I am not harming anyone

I don't mind if they won't give me tourist visa that is up 2 them

But I don't like the fact I have to go home to get a METV I would like to go somewhere else to get one

I think it would be a lot more fair if they said something like only six months everyear or something like that

^^

Arrogance my dear friend.

You have it.

A birthright to rock up to the country of your choice, simply because you want to, and stay there as long as you decide to, with no other reason to other than that's what you want to do, sorry to disappoint you....

You don't have it.

Deal with it.