Marble Temple Monk Stifled after Muslim Hate Speech in Bangkok

Jonathan Fairfield

Marble Temple Monk Stifled after Muslim Hate Speech in Bangkok

BANGKOK – Phra Apichart Punnajanto, head of monk preachers at the prestigious Wat Benchamabopit (the Marble Temple) has been forced to shut down his Facebook account after he posted a call to “burn down a mosques” after the killing of a monk in Thailand’s predominantly Muslim south.

Phra Apichart Punnajanto, suspended his account at midday Thursday under pressure from Buddhist and Junta authorities.

“I received notification from the Supreme Sangha Council [the Buddhist institution in Thailand] and I was visited by military security officers over the last two days, who asked me to be careful about expressing my opinions about the deaths of Buddhist monks and laymen in the south,” wrote Phra Punnajanto.

“When Buddhist people call me back, I shall return.”

On Oct. 29, Punnajanto posted to his Facebook page: “If a Buddhist monk dies from being shot at, or from an explosion in the south at the hand of Malayu bandits, a mosque should be burned, starting from the northern part of Thailand southwards.”

Full story: http://www.chiangraitimes.com/marble-temple-monk-stifled-after-muslim-hate-speech-in-bangkok.html

-- Chiang Rai Times

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

“I received notification from the Supreme Sangha Council [the Buddhist institution in Thailand] and I was visited by military security officers over the last two days"

Just wondering if the hate mongering, civil disobedience inciters Muslim preachers of the south get

the same treatment as this monk get... my money in on NO....

“I received notification from the Supreme Sangha Council [the Buddhist institution in Thailand] and I was visited by military security officers over the last two days"

Just wondering if the hate mongering, civil disobedience inciters Muslim preachers of the south get

Bit of a two way street. Imams in the deep South have been murdered for calling an end to violence. Those who support the insurgency have subjected to extrajudicial killings.

Sorry to see his free speech curtailed. His idea to fight fire with fire, speaking the same language as the Islamists, would have had a more positive effect on the peace process than appeasement. Bending over for these religious creeps does not work, it just emboldens them(if in doubt look to the N European models). No, they must be smacked, and smacked hard, every time they perpetrate violent acts in the name of their deity. Non violent solutions such as burning down mosques is a particularly savvy plan, in that when the mosques that bred and fomented the hate and rage no longer exist - the brainwashing will cease also. Win win.

Irrespective of your religious bent, hate speech (especially by influential people) is totally unacceptable in society.

This person is a provocateur, and as such needs to be censured by the government.

He has issued a challenge to the authorities with his "I shall return" quip. Let's hope this challenge is accepted.

Sorry to see his free speech curtailed. His idea to fight fire with fire, speaking the same language as the Islamists, would have had a more positive effect on the peace process than appeasement. Bending over for these religious creeps does not work, it just emboldens them(if in doubt look to the N European models). No, they must be smacked, and smacked hard, every time they perpetrate violent acts in the name of their deity. Non violent solutions such as burning down mosques is a particularly savvy plan, in that when the mosques that bred and fomented the hate and rage no longer exist - the brainwashing will cease also. Win win.

Thankfully you are not a decision maker.

'Smacking hard' has only increased the tempo of tit for tat killing in the deep South. Burning mosques is a violent action & more than likely lead to the spread of unrest to the roughly four million Thai Muslims residing outside of the deep South.

For the moment the Thai military does not support any type of provincial self governance / autonomy for the deep South. As proven elsewhere some form of pragmatic political solution, in parallel with transparent security protection for the local population is, IMO, required. Trust building with the local population must be implemented, not the ongoing corruption and extrajudicial killing by some members of Thai security forces.

Edited by simple1

Do you honestly believe that?

Do you really not see the appalling consequences of such insane actions?

Burning down a place of religious worship is a violent act and one that will only lead to bloody violence on a greater scale.

The conflict in the South is not a religious one, it's main focus is upon independence/autonomy based upon historical sense of injustice [rightly or wrongly].

Yes there is a religious element to it in that the opposing sides are of different faiths, but faith is not at the root of the violence.

I have nothing but contempt for those who resort to violence to achieve their aims, but the sheer stupidity of burning down Mosques will only fuel their cause and result in even worse atrocities.

And yes, that is possible..

Burning down a place of religious worship is a violent act and one that will only lead to bloody violence on a greater scale.

The conflict in the South is not a religious one, it's main focus is upon independence/autonomy based upon historical sense of injustice [rightly or wrongly].

Yes there is a religious element to it in that the opposing sides are of different faiths, but faith is not at the root of the violence.

I have nothing but contempt for those who resort to violence to achieve their aims, but the sheer stupidity of burning down Mosques will only fuel their cause and result in even worse atrocities.

You make it sound like I advocate the burning of mosques willy-nilly. This is not what I said, and it would be certainly counterproductive. What I would agree with is a situation whereby the southern muslims will fully understand that if they behead a teacher(because teacher is an infidel ie not of the right faith) there will be direct consequences. Harsh consequences. Not quite as harsh as the unprovoked beheading which caused the reaction, but still. Same when they execute schoolchildren, monks, rubber tappers, any victim. I have lost count of the number of buddhists murdered by the Islamists but it is somewhere around the 10,000 mark in the last decade. The hate comes from their religion, which is propagated in the mosques. It is a simple solution - play nice - or you won't be able to play at all.

Truth be told, IF I was the countries leader, the southern insurgency would have ended a decade ago, or a few days after it started. How do I know this? For the same reason I know that when I am asleep I will not be eaten by a tiger ie. there are no tigers in my bedroom.

Another liberal telling us it is not about religion.

You can look for all the excuses you like and keep telling yourself people should just be nice to each other. It won't make any difference.

They keep using small reasons as an excuse to murder people but it always has Islam at the root. And don't bring up the old 'but some victims are muslim' because they are invariably killed because they betrayed some principle of the murderers belief.

We now live in a world where they shout demands and murder people almost at will with little repercussion because everyone else is scared that any verbal retaliation will result in more murders. Even here, if anyone dare question it, liberals like you are quick to jump on them.

The recent fiasco when those young men got killed by the Army is another good example of what is wrong. What an uproar in the local councils and the media that brought about - but where is the similar uproar for the hundreds of innocent, decent ,schoolteachers and others when they get brutally murdered in cold blood ?.

Bottom line is that if these people were Buddhist, it would not have this terrorist problem. A muslim will never go against another muslim to help a Buddhist. They are conditioned from birth that everyone else is an infidel and Allah would not forgive them.

These kind things are ALWAYS about religion. I wonder how many thousands (or millions) in this world are yet to die before enough is enough and people dare to face up to it.

The traditions and culture of my home country are now ruined because of this stone age, brainwashing religion. I hope the same does not happen in Thailand.

One can only grateful that you are not part of the "peace process" to which you refer.

One less bigot spreading his hate.

Good.

Because Muslims were not spreading hate first in the southcheesy.gif They reap what they have sown in this country.

Of course in most European countries this monk would be in jail already.

On the other hand in the same Europe imams preaching hate would be protected by the politically correct madness.

Quote >>> and result in even worse atrocities.And yes, that is possible..<<< UNQUOTE

As was proven in Myanmar, Sri Lanka, Ireland, etc.

Another liberal telling us it is not about religion.

You can look for all the excuses you like and keep telling yourself people should just be nice to each other. It won't make any difference.

They keep using small reasons as an excuse to murder people but it always has Islam at the root. And don't bring up the old 'but some victims are muslim' because they are invariably killed because they betrayed some principle of the murderers belief.

We now live in a world where they shout demands and murder people almost at will with little repercussion because everyone else is scared that any verbal retaliation will result in more murders. Even here, if anyone dare question it, liberals like you are quick to jump on them.

The recent fiasco when those young men got killed by the Army is another good example of what is wrong. What an uproar in the local councils and the media that brought about - but where is the similar uproar for the hundreds of innocent, decent ,schoolteachers and others when they get brutally murdered in cold blood ?.

Bottom line is that if these people were Buddhist, it would not have this terrorist problem. A muslim will never go against another muslim to help a Buddhist. They are conditioned from birth that everyone else is an infidel and Allah would not forgive them.

These kind things are ALWAYS about religion. I wonder how many thousands (or millions) in this world are yet to die before enough is enough and people dare to face up to it.

The traditions and culture of my home country are now ruined because of this stone age, brainwashing religion. I hope the same does not happen in Thailand.

What they actually need to face up to in all countries is the ridiculousness of "religion"

You make it sound like I advocate the burning of mosques willy-nilly. This is not what I said, and it would be certainly counterproductive. What I would agree with is a situation whereby the southern muslims will fully understand that if they behead a teacher(because teacher is an infidel ie not of the right faith) there will be direct consequences. Harsh consequences. Not quite as harsh as the unprovoked beheading which caused the reaction, but still. Same when they execute schoolchildren, monks, rubber tappers, any victim. I have lost count of the number of buddhists murdered by the Islamists but it is somewhere around the 10,000 mark in the last decade. The hate comes from their religion, which is propagated in the mosques. It is a simple solution - play nice - or you won't be able to play at all.

Truth be told, IF I was the countries leader, the southern insurgency would have ended a decade ago, or a few days after it started. How do I know this? For the same reason I know that when I am asleep I will not be eaten by a tiger ie. there are no tigers in my bedroom.

They frequently experience the harsh consequences. There's plenty of tit-for-tat going on in the southern conflict. But as you've been keeping a body count, you know that already.

Perhaps we should round them all up, tattoo their arms and execute them in gas chambers,,, wait I think that was done before by someone..

It should be tackled with laws, peacefully but firmly. Zero tolerance towards attacks and acts of terrorism and long jail terms for insighting violence and hatred. Its the only way to fight this and win.

@englishjohn

It's not a religious conflict.

However that seems to be a minor issue compared to your complete lack of understanding behind this conflict. You are aware that this was an independent Muslim majority kingdom before the Thais occupied the country aren't you?

Are you suggesting that the locals should take on the religion of the invaders?

Why is that then? Because your hate won't let you see that's wrong?

Judging by the muddled nonsense BS the rest of your "post" contained if guess that is the case.

Finally where did I "excuse" the violence going on in the south? I believe I did exactly the opposite or does your hatred affect your ability to read as well as think clearly?

Yep. Burn the lot down. Myanmar style Buddhism. Didn't do any society any good though. Fighting hatred with hatred never ever results in anything positive.

No, just stand by and let the oppressors walk all over us like in todays UK.

Also what about WW2? Hitler hated us, tried to invade us, the British hated Hitler for trying to invade us.

The positives are that Britain and other European countries are not all speaking German today.

@Jaidam

Nothing in your post justifies the burning of Mosques at any time, or any place of worship. To do so in the south would be to turn an independence/autonomous movement (one I do not support or see as a reason to murder anyone of any faith) into something much more bloody and violent. The conflict is not about faith.

Your final paragraph seems to be advocating at the least "ethnic cleansing" as practised by the Croats and Serbs in the Balkan wars and at worst genocide.

I hope I'm wrong about that.

Why are there so many members on this site who would rather insult other members than debate the topic. Not matter what the history

of any country with past invasions, the facts show most wars are religious and supported by the zealots. Now lets get down to real

discussion and leave the pettiness in the schoolyard.

You're right. They don't get the same treatment. They get thrown into prison or assassinated. So unfair.

"I have nothing but contempt for those who resort to violence to achieve their aims" I have to agree with that, but you cannot stand by and allow the oppressors to win.

@taffey17

Most wars are caused by greed, economics, bigotry, irrational hatred and fear, desire for land or other resources.

Many are cloaked and supported by religious institutions (or were in the past) but religion does not cause most wars.

It certainly is responsible for some but even then greed, list for power and hatred for those different to the aggressors perceived norm were there under the surface.