Two red-shirt guards jailed for firing M79 at PDRC rally

rooster59

Two red-shirt guards jailed for firing M79 at PDRC rally

BANGKOK: The Criminal Court on Friday sentenced two red-shirt guards to 43 years each after convicting them of involvement in the firing of an M79 grenade at a rally of the People's Democratic Reform Committee in 2014.

The court found Narongsak Plaiaram and Pirapong Sinthusonthichart guilty of collaborating in firing an M79 grenade at a PDRC rally in front of the Shinawatra III building on March 7, 2014.

The grenade missed the rally site but hit a pillar and a tree, causing damage worth Bt20,000. The two were security guards of the United Front of Democracy against Dictatorship when they were arrested.

The two defendants confessed during the investigation, the court was told.

Narongsak confessed to picking up the M79 grenade and launcher from Imperial Lat Phrao's car park, the court was told.

The court also heard that Narongsak drove Yongyut Boondee to fire the grenade. Yongyut was arrested last year and is facing trial in another case.

Pirapong confessed to calling Narongsak to pick up the grenade and the launcher.

The court ruled that the statements of state witnesses were convincing enough to substantiate the charges that the two suspects had illegal firearms in their possession.

The court initially sentenced each of the two to 12 years in jail for possessing illegal firearms, three more years for carrying a weapon in public place and to life on a premediated murder attempt.

But the court commuted the sentence by one third because the two confessed so they were given 43 years and four months in jail.

In a related development, the Criminal Court on Thursday acquitted an activist who was charged with trying to block a national election in January last year.

The Court said there was no solid evidence to support the charge against Thawatchai Promchan, 45, leader of the People's Force and Thailand Energy Reform Network.

On January 26, 2014, the day said aside for advance voting, Thawatchai and his supporters gathered in front of a polling station at Wat Sriiam in Prawet district. Chaos at several places throughout the country that day led to the election being annulled.

The Court said that there were no facts that showed that the defendant and the protesters blocked the entrance to the polling station or talked to voters.

They just made speeches demanding that the then government postpone the election, pending national reform.

Moreover, the decision on shutting down the voting was taken based on the judgement of election officials at each polling station.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Two-red-shirt-guards-jailed-for-firing-M79-at-PDRC-30272436.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-11-07

Anyone know of any high profile convictions for yellow-shirts. How about the yellow-shirts who blockaded the airport and caused untold economic damages to many businesses and tourists. I remember they were supposed to pay a fine, but I haven't heard anything since.

Anyone know of any high profile convictions for yellow-shirts. How about the yellow-shirts who blockaded the airport and caused untold economic damages to many businesses and tourists. I remember they were supposed to pay a fine, but I haven't heard anything since.

Perhaps there aren't so many because they don't fire grenades into innocent crowds murdering women and children. THIRTY MURDERS in about 90 separate attacks during the last protests alone.

These people are terrorist scum and you should be condemning them to high heaven. Instead, you bring up the peaceful airport sit-in yet again as if it is any way comparable.

Shame on you and your total lack of ethics. Did you cheer when the little girl got murdered in Trang ?.

The yellow shirts had peaceful rallies. They didn't fire M79 grenades into crowds to kill people.

These red shirts deserve everything they get. Lock a few more up ............ nothing but mafia thugs bah.gif

But...but...but the yellow shirts. Slgh.

Anyone know of any yellow-shirts that fired grenades at peaceful demonstrations?

Anyone know of any yellow-shirts that fired grenades at peaceful demonstrations?

Anyone know any yellowshirts who don't wear haloes, don't raise the dead and aren't all-round good eggs?

Anyone know any yellowshirts who don't wear haloes, don't raise the dead and aren't all-round good eggs?

No, I don't

Edited by NeilSA1

Shame on you for this attempted diversion from the REDSHIRTS' TERRORIST ATTACKS, ...and on the ones 'liking' it too!