Bus Chiang Mai to Hat Yai?

Derek JM

Hi There,

as obvious as the title suggests. Does anyone have any information about a bus service from Chiang mai to Hat Yai (or Penang) direct?

Appreciated information such as cost, time a approx travel duration (I know 24hrs at least)

I know I could go via Sai Tai (PinkLao) in Bangkok. I would like to go by bus, direct if possible. I know somat tour has a service 3 times a day

to Hau Hin (one option as it avoids Bangkok) any info on bus and times of such busses to Hat Yai from Hau Hin?

Thank you kindly in advance.

Derek.

Air asia.. Direct flight 2 hours..

Really even bar girls fly these days..

If it was flight information, I would have asked for flight information. I simply don't like to fly, prefer to avoid it where/if/when possible.

Apologies, I Totally forgot Bar girls have wings these days....cheesy.gif

That's a hell of a ride.

Hua Hin-Hat Yai is 3 times a day. http://www.tourismhuahin.com/busses-huahin.php

From Hat Yai there are minivans every hour to Penang. Takes around 3 hrs and cost app. 350 Baht.

Vans can be booked at many travel agencies, for example at K.S.T. opposit King's Hotel

https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/K.S.T.+travel/@7.0035943,100.4685697,18.5z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0000000000000000:0x69ccbb9fec6b373b!5m1!1e4?hl=en

sleeper train all the way, change trains in bangkok only. bus is madness in comparison. book them both well in advance, especially the bkk-butterworth leg

Yeah if I couldnt or wouldnt fly.. this would be my way (assuming I couldnt just drive it).. at least can walk about, see the scenery, go to the restaurant carriage bit..

But after being shot down on the flight, well.. I figured ok, you bus it ;)

sleeper train all the way, change trains in bangkok only. bus is madness in comparison. book them both well in advance, especially the bkk-butterworth leg

Yeah if I couldnt or wouldnt fly.. this would be my way (assuming I couldnt just drive it).. at least can walk about, see the scenery, go to the restaurant carriage bit..

But after being shot down on the flight, well.. I figured ok, you bus it wink.png

Sleeper train looks like the best option. It might be better not doing Train all the way 12hr wait between when train arrives in BKK and when the train for Butterworth leaves.

LivingLOS, your info about flight was appreciated, flown before to Penang from CM, not ideal for a guy in my condition (seriously busted knee, hip, ankle). Que here (check in), Queue for security check, Queue again (boarding) short flight to (K.L) rinse repeat for KL (or BKK) to Penang + queue (stand and wait) for baggage collection . with uncomfortable seats that don't recline so much. Qucker but not so convenient..lost 2 days recovering in pain from a recent trip.

Might as well be more comfortable and pain free and lose a day or so anyway in travel time!

Flights, short ones no..long yes as I can get comfortable on a long haul (I do have a knack of picking empty flights and spreading myself out..(low season..midweek and at night!).

Thanks for your info about flights, your heart and intentions were in the right place. :-) thumbsup.gif

you can book into one of the many hotels near the bkk station if need be.

cant see 12hrs wait between trains

http://www.railway.co.th/Ticket/TrainStopStation_Time_All.asp?IdTrain=2&Leg=en

http://www.railway.co.th/Ticket/TrainStopStation_Time_All.asp?IdTrain=35&Leg=en

arrive bkk 6.50 leave to butterworth at 14.45

in reality thai trains travelling this distance can be expected to be about an hour or so late so that would give about 7 hrs to amuse yourself in bkk..

Edited by FAAAT Geeza

If you're connecting, then best to do it at the Southern Bus Station in Bangkok, not Hua Hin. Because there are far more departures from there to Had Yai. And Sombat Tour run a bus direct to the Southern Bus Station instead of the Northern one.

Train does take a seriously long time; I'd consider doing a combination, i.e. train for the nighttime part, and then bus daytime.

Perhaps do the cheap bus to KSR, about 350 THB, and from there, it is pretty close to Hua Lamphong. Those buses arrive on KSR at 5 or 6am...some hotels will let you check in for the night....Hitchhiking might be the second best alternative to flying.

Edited by bangmai

^ No; don't use those backpacker buses : (Or any bus not booked from a government-regulated bus station.)

(Assuming they even still run; haven't seen it in a while.)

As for connecting to train, Mor Chit is really close to Bang Sue Junction railway station, that's a good place to get a train South. Can buy the train ticket in advance from the Chiang Mai Station.