Where to obtain the easiest new citizenship?

Hey guys,

some friend came to Thailand in the hope to settle down and obtain a citizenship here,

after he learned about the procedure and related details which seems to be a long way to go,

he asked if there is any other alternative option to be easier?

such as Cambodia, Laos? Vietnam? Philippines?in SEA region?

Or where else to be? any other counter in the world that offer citizenship in easier way than here?

Pleas share your idea, experience or comments,

Regards,

How many million dollars does your friend have?

This would help to make suggestions.

At all serious countries that I know of it will take years and require some form of integration/learning the language.

Except: see line 1.

Strangest thread for a while.

Arbitrary change of citizenship.

I guess the "why?" question is unwanted.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Well if the 'friend' has a father, mother, grandfather or grandmother who was born in Ireland (Eire or southern Ireland to be precise), then he or she can claim Irish nationality and therefore EU residency too. It doesn't matter where the applicant was born. I think you must have been born before 2004 or something as the door has now been shut to those born after that date. Doing this was very popular with UK journalists during UDI in the Ian Smith regime in Rhodesia as at the time he didn't let anyone with a UK passport into the country. Those who could wave an Irish Passport of course, were able to get in. Many countries have Irish populations and usually smile on Irish passports.

You simply have to produce a full copy your birth certificate (BC) and then those of your father/mother and their marriage certificate (and the same for grandparents if necessary). Then your birth can be registered in Ireland once you sign the form, and the follow on is a passport and everything that goes with it. You don't have to live in Ireland or have worked there or even have an Irish address. Of course, the connected relative must have had an Irish BC which can be problematical as the Register Office in Dublin got burnt down in 1922 during the riots for independence. However, the tracing service is very good and they usually come up with a full BC at a very reasonable standard cost plus as many copies as you want. Sometimes, the BC is a document that the relative never possessed as passports and so on weren't as important in those far off days.

Interestingly, for other countries that demand you resign citizenship of your former country (e.g. America) before taking up theirs, Ireland will also give you a letter to say that they have rescinded their nationality but it automatically gets reinstated immediately afterwards! The UK will also give you a letter and allow you to reinstate UK nationality, but will only do that once on your say so and there are loads of forms to be filled in and procedures to be followed. You also need to be careful of some countries that will confiscate your passports from countries other than the one you entered on if they find them on you. Stupid and expensive to get replacements, but as we know you can't beat the system and have to work with it.

There are those whose hobby is to collect passports like confetti and I once met one person who had fifteen nationalities. He did have the same date of birth on them all and the total cost caused me to have a sharp intake of breath. But that's a hobby for you.

• Like 2

Any countries nearby where I can get cheap citizenship so I can easily get a 6 month multi entry tourist visa without having to fly home to get one.?

Serious question goof.gifbiggrin.pngcoffee1.gif

I don't think you need to be a citizen to get an METV, just legally resident or in possession of a WP, which in some nearby countries might be easier to achieve than would citizenship.

Edited by Suradit69

everyone has his own reasons of seeking a dual nationality or such,

however, thanks for sharing the ideas and suggestion,

Sure and it kind of helps knowing that as well as what citizenship they currently have before giving advice on which countries are suitable don't you think?

Edited by Time Traveller
  • Like 1

Well if the 'friend' has a father, mother, grandfather or grandmother who was born in Ireland (Eire or southern Ireland to be precise), then he or she can claim Irish nationality and therefore EU residency too. It doesn't matter where the applicant was born. I think you must have been born before 2004 or something as the door has now been shut to those born after that date. Doing this was very popular with UK journalists during UDI in the Ian Smith regime in Rhodesia as at the time he didn't let anyone with a UK passport into the country. Those who could wave an Irish Passport of course, were able to get in. Many countries have Irish populations and usually smile on Irish passports.

You simply have to produce a full copy your birth certificate (BC) and then those of your father/mother and their marriage certificate (and the same for grandparents if necessary). Then your birth can be registered in Ireland once you sign the form, and the follow on is a passport and everything that goes with it. You don't have to live in Ireland or have worked there or even have an Irish address. Of course, the connected relative must have had an Irish BC which can be problematical as the Register Office in Dublin got burnt down in 1922 during the riots for independence. However, the tracing service is very good and they usually come up with a full BC at a very reasonable standard cost plus as many copies as you want. Sometimes, the BC is a document that the relative never possessed as passports and so on weren't as important in those far off days.

Interestingly, for other countries that demand you resign citizenship of your former country (e.g. America) before taking up theirs, Ireland will also give you a letter to say that they have rescinded their nationality but it automatically gets reinstated immediately afterwards! The UK will also give you a letter and allow you to reinstate UK nationality, but will only do that once on your say so and there are loads of forms to be filled in and procedures to be followed. You also need to be careful of some countries that will confiscate your passports from countries other than the one you entered on if they find them on you. Stupid and expensive to get replacements, but as we know you can't beat the system and have to work with it.

There are those whose hobby is to collect passports like confetti and I once met one person who had fifteen nationalities. He did have the same date of birth on them all and the total cost caused me to have a sharp intake of breath. But that's a hobby for you.

America allows dual citizenship, I have a lot of friends who are naturalize citizens and hold two passports.

Seems like US is the easiest with the most useful passport with investment around $500,000 last time I checked couple years ago.

• Like 1

So absurd but funny this thread biggrin.png

Changing citizenship to get a Thai visa cheesy.gif

Seems like US is the easiest with the most useful passport with investment around $500,000 last time I checked couple years ago.

Thats about 17 million Thai baht. Would buy you 34 Thai elite visa for 5 years each (500'000 for 5 years).

170 years of trouble free stay in the land of smiles cheesy.gif

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

Most countries offer a citizenship if you marry a local.

Some countries offer citizenship for money, but its usually in the hundreds of thousand of dollars.

Antigua offers citizenship for $200K.

Cyprus also has an offer based on money, and so does Spain if I'm not mistaken.

Edited by soomak

Philippines offers a very easy permanent residency plan, only $20K needed in a local bank, good for anyone age 35+.

However, I do not recommend living in the Philippines, unless you can tolerate the 3rd world easily.

If you can tolerate Thailand I can tell you the Phillippines will be easy for you.

50,000 dollars for cambodian citizenship. as told to me by an English guy i know who showed me his cambodian passport.

but he did it a few years ago. he's lived there years and owns a hotel and other businesses

very corrupt process. as part if the citizenship process he was supposed to have an interview with the King. he said he was really looking forward to meeting the king but imagine his disappointment - he just had to send someone down to the palace to hand over some cash! the royal family dont have much money over in cambodia and arent above asking for some tea money

Officially you can get Cambodian citizenship for free, but you need to be fluent in written and spoken Khmer and have some tie to the country eg marriage, business, investment, and live there for a number of years

Philippines offers a very easy permanent residency plan, only $20K needed in a local bank, good for anyone age 35+.

However, I do not recommend living in the Philippines, unless you can tolerate the 3rd world easily.

If you can tolerate Thailand I can tell you the Phillippines will be easy for you.

I'm in the Philippines now, and its much worse than Thailand.

Already explained my POV it in a relevant thread so won't repeat myself.

Many Latin American countries offer citizenship after 3 years

You have to be married to a local though..

The cheapest option, unless you are allergic to marriage or gay

Gay marriage is legal in Brazil, Uruguay, and Argentina. Probably Colombia soon.

Ecuador is rather easy and quick to get permanent residency status (without marriage) and not needing bucket loads of cash. I think from that there is a path to citizenship as well.

Edited by Jingthing

You say: "Well if the 'friend' has a father, mother, grandfather or grandmother who was born in Ireland (Eire or southern Ireland to be precise), then he or she can claim Irish nationality and therefore EU residency too."

I was born in London, England. In 2004, I applied for and received an Irish passport using the fact that my mother was born (after 1922) in Northern Ireland which is not Eire/Southern Ireland/Republic of Ireland - Northern Ireland is part of the UK.

Also, you say, "Then your birth can be registered in Ireland once you sign the form". Can you explain what you mean by this? Do you mean that the applicant's birth is registered as having been in the Republic of Ireland, even if it was actually elsewhere?

precisely there is NO SOUTHERN IRELAND, laddie. It's REPUBLIK OF IRELAND, and I'm proud of it to be independant from those basterds on the eastern island...!sick.gif

• Like 1

precisely there is NO SOUTHERN IRELAND, laddie. It's REPUBLIK OF IRELAND, and I'm proud of it to be independant from those basterds on the eastern island...!sick.gif

Nice!

Lets drag up a bit of Irish nationalism and religious bigotry again as it always useful in a topic about citizenship....

What about them bastards to the North you forgetting about them or are they different...

Edited by mark131v
  • Like 1

Italy, no problem if you're of Italian derivation. Not at all expensive.