double glazed condo patio replacement doors

jippytum

Hi

In an effort to reduce nearby constuction noise i an thinking of having replacement double glazed doors doors fitted to the bedroom windows of my condo .Two fixed and two sliding. Noise reduction from outside is the main issue and the colour of frames must be black .

Any advice or recommendations for local companies appreciated

thanks

First you need to decide whether you need/want aluminium or PVC. Your choice may be dictated for you if your building requires you to use thin frames in order to match other openings or if you prefer thin frames anyway like I do (you cant get thin frames with PVC).

PVC is very widely available but only a tiny handful of places do decent aluminium frames, with most of them using the cheap Thai frames which are rubbish and have poor quality seals and sliding parts. I'm only interested in aluminium.

I got a quote from ARC which was very high (and for that very high price they weren't even going to make good the joins). I also didnt like their take it or leave it attitude. The quality of their equipment was good though.

I did find a new shop on Sukumvit, not far from Makro but on the opposite side of the road. Unfortunately they couldn't do exactly what I wanted as otherwise I would have gone with them.

I also found a couple of aluminium places in Bangkok and surroundings that seemed like better options but one didnt reply to my email and I havent yet been to see the other. So many older buildings (and many newer ones) are fitted with very poor quality aluminium doors/windows that I would have thought that fitting quality replacements was a field that was wide open for a start-up company and I'm a bit surprised that so few people seem to be interested in doing it.

First you need to decide whether you need/want aluminium or PVC. Your choice may be dictated for you if your building requires you to use thin frames in order to match other openings or if you prefer thin frames anyway like I do (you cant get thin frames with PVC).

PVC is very widely available but only a tiny handful of places do decent aluminium frames, with most of them using the cheap Thai frames which are rubbish and have poor quality seals and sliding parts. I'm only interested in aluminium.

I got a quote from ARC which was very high (and for that very high price they weren't even going to make good the joins). I also didnt like their take it or leave it attitude. The quality of their equipment was good though.

I did find a new shop on Sukumvit, not far from Makro but on the opposite side of the road. Unfortunately they couldn't do exactly what I wanted as otherwise I would have gone with them.

I also found a couple of aluminium places in Bangkok and surroundings that seemed like better options but one didnt reply to my email and I havent yet been to see the other. So many older buildings (and many newer ones) are fitted with very poor quality aluminium doors/windows that I would have thought that fitting quality replacements was a field that was wide open for a start-up company and I'm a bit surprised that so few people seem to be interested in doing it.

I too am interested in quality aluminum sliding glass doors with laminated and tempered glass. I found a place on Naklua Road that can get laminated glass, 8mm, which is 2 sheets of tempered 4mm glass with a plastic layer in between. I asked them to send a guy to do an estimate, nobody phoned or came, now 2 weeks later. I get the feeling they don't want the job.

Laminated glass is more sound proof than insulated units.

Edited by cigar7

I too am interested in quality aluminum sliding glass doors with laminated and tempered glass. I found a place on Naklua Road that can get laminated glass, 8mm, which is 2 sheets of tempered 4mm glass with a plastic layer in between. I asked them to send a guy to do an estimate, nobody phoned or came, now 2 weeks later. I get the feeling they don't want the job.

Laminated glass is more sound proof than insulated units.

The glass is the easy part as it is all made here. I found several Thai aluminium places in and around Theprasit Road who could fit new double-glazed panels to my old frames, or who could make and fit new frames with double-glazed panels in. And they were very cheap for both solutions (less than a quarter of the price asked by ARC). The problem was that they could only provide the very cheap thin Thai profiles which really dont offer much in the way of robust moving parts or good seals. So you would end up with good glass in rubbish frames with bad seals.

I fancied double-glazing as it should both reduce noise and reduce heat transfer, but I see your point about the laminated product. Perhaps better for safety also for those who have children. But my main reason for wanting to change is that my windows/doors just dont fit the frames properly and probably never did since they were made: some of the fixed uprights are out of plumb by well over 1cm (!) and all of the sections bend when you push them gently. Not to mention the wind whistling through the gaps in the balcony doors if I open my front door. Really cheap rubbish.

There are a few companies that use imported German made windows and doors. They are expensive, but the quality is as good as it gets here.

Locally, for aluminium, I only know of ARC. I do know of others in Bangkok, but not here. Which others are there here?

Also I think you will find that they import the frames and parts from Germany (or wherever) and then cut them to size here and insert locally-made glass panels.

Whatever glazing unit you choose for patio doors, always get tempered glass, or laminated. Tempered is 4 times stronger than float or annealed glass, and won't break into large shards. Large shards of falling glass can slice open a vein and cause serious injury.

I read someplace (can't recall where) that for best sound insulation, the glass panels for double-glazing should be of different thicknesses. True?

Some people do say that, yes. I dont know how true it is but I dont suppose it can do any harm. They also say that thicker glass and narrower air-gaps should be used for better sound insulation and for better heat insulation wider air-gaps should be used (based on the assumption that the total glass+air+glass measurement is the same in both cases). That makes sense to me.

Recording studios often use a window that is 1/2" laminate and another that is 3/8" laminate.

Different thicknesses are used because they will vibrate at different frequencies, thus more effectively stopping sound.