"luuk krung" same rights as thais?

chopin2

If the Luuk Krung has a Thai citizenship he or she can do what ever they want as they are Thai,only discrimination can get in their way.

One little problem, if the Luk KUNG has duel citizenship, then it is a whole new ball game !! wai.gif

Until very recently they couldn't serve in the army.

I don't think this is correct. Back in the day (1970's) there were problems with Thais living in other countries and missing their draft lottery. The situation is this: if one parent is Thai and they were born in Thailand, no problem, they are full Thai citizens with full Thai responsibilities. If they were born overseas, but one parent is Thai there's paperwork to be done, but they are full Thai citizens with full Thai responsibilities. In the old days, when dual citizenship was generally not permitted, there was received wisdon that at age 18 a boy had to renounce one citizenship or the other. Since the draft has effectively ended in the U.S. that's not a real problem, because he only has to register for the draft there and then show up for the lottery drawing in Thailand. If he's still living overseas when he is supposed to report for the draft he has to submit a request for deferment. Khun Abhisit had to do that when he was studying at Cambridge (of was it Oxford?). I remember there was a kerfuffle that he might not have done all the papers correctly, but the Army ruled that he had. If they're eligible for a Thai ID card or passport, they're eligible to serve in the Army.

If the Luuk Krung has a Thai citizenship he or she can do what ever they want as they are Thai,only discrimination can get in their way.

One little problem, if the Luk KUNG has duel citizenship, then it is a whole new ball game !! wai.gif

What new ball game are you thinking of? Military obligation? Then it would depend on what the second nationality is. Few countries now have military drafts. Thailand still does In the U.S. you have to register, but at the present time there is zero chance of being called up. That's true of all the Eurozone countries I know about. Does Holland have a draft? Germany ended theirs in 2011. And, of course, that military conscription hasn't applied to women in any country that I know of, including Thailand. Are you thinking of taxation? Voting? I don't know of any problem. And if you stop to think of it, they ALL have dual citizenship. They have a Thai parent through whom they inherit Thai citizenship and a parent of another nationality through which they inherit that citizenship. Are you perhaps thinking that some parents don't bother to register their children's birth with their embassy, so don't have the necessary paperwork?

Talking about luk krueng who hold Thai citizenship (regardless of other citizenship if has) -

I think the law was recently change to allow Thai citizens with only 1 Thai parent (hence luk Krueng) serve in the army. Don;t know there was even an issue with police. Buying land - no problem. Has nothing to do with the name / family name - only citizenship.

To become a prime minister he/she must have been born in Thailand, and if elected, must give up any other citizenship if holds 1.

From Wikipedia.." In more recent generations, luk khrueng have become accepted and even highly embraced by society, and many luk khrueng have carved out a prominent role in the entertainment industry, in which their often fluent English and their Caucasian features (such as fair skin, larger or colored eyes and tall physique), which are deemed attractive in Thai culture, have proved to be advantageous. Much of the Thai population finds luk khrueng highly attractive because of these features, and within teenage culture, they are also extremely popular.[6]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luk_khrueng

I wonder if a Luuk Krung with Thai cityzenship and a farang family name can buy land on his name?

Yes they can. My property is in my kid's name - but over 20 (can't own property under 20, unless through a guardianship arrangement).

I think you will find that they can own land in their own name and if either parent want to sell the land they must prove to the Children's Court that the proceeds of the sale is necessary for the child and is used for the used for the benifit of the child only

Until very recently they couldn't serve in the army.

Are you quite sure about this? Doesn't sound right to me.

Are you referring to commissioned officers, enlisted personnel who volunteered or conscripts who were selected by the draft lottery?

I wonder if a Luuk Krung with Thai cityzenship and a farang family name can buy land on his name?

Yes they can. My property is in my kid's name - but over 20 (can't own property under 20, unless through a guardianship arrangement).

I think you will find that they can own land in their own name and if either parent want to sell the land they must prove to the Children's Court that the proceeds of the sale is necessary for the child and is used for the used for the benifit of the child only

Thats what i understand to be true. My 14 year old son has his name on the chanote, never heard of any "guardianship" thing.

A Thai told me that a luuk krung was half a kid, meaning half human. "I understand," I said, "so, the other half is Thai?" He was not amused.

I'm not sure he meant any disrespect by that and not sure where the 'half human' comes from.

'Half a kid' is just a literal translation of the Thai LUK KREUNG (lit. child half) presumably because they didn't know the English equivalent 'mixed race'.

Talking about luk krueng who hold Thai citizenship (regardless of other citizenship if has) -

I think the law was recently change to allow Thai citizens with only 1 Thai parent (hence luk Krueng) serve in the army. Don;t know there was even an issue with police. Buying land - no problem. Has nothing to do with the name / family name - only citizenship.

To become a prime minister he/she must have been born in Thailand, and if elected, must give up any other citizenship if holds 1.

Yeah, about that name thing -- I haven't seen him perform for years now, but maybe I'm just out of touch, but when I came back to Thailand 30-some years ago the biggest super-star was a guy named Bird MacIntyre. His grandfather was a farang, I suppose Scots. I don't know a convenient Thai word for quarter-Thai, I imagine they'd refer to him as luuk khreung unless they just regarded him as full Thai because of his popularity. Look how they treat Tiger Woods. However I can imagine some Land Office bureaucrat, back in the days after the Kraivixien government, denying a Thai citizen the right to register land because of having a farang last name. Ultra-nationalism is still with us even if it's not as open as under Phibulsongkhram.

Archived