Unrest breaks out at Australian migrant detention center

webfact

Unrest Breaks Out at Australian Migrant Detention Center

Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection said that unrest broke out early Monday at Australia’s detention center for migrants on Christmas Island after the death of an escaped refugee

MOSCOW (Sputnik) — Unrest broke out early Monday at Australia’s detention center for migrants on Christmas Island after the death of an escaped refugee, the country’s Department of Immigration and Border Protection said.

"The Department can confirm a disturbance in progress at the Christmas Island Immigration Detention Centre," the Australian migration authority said in a statement.

The department cited reports of damage inside the center, but added there were no reported injuries and the facility’s premiere had not been breached.

Full story: http://sputniknews.com/asia/20151109/1029793483/australian-migrant-detention-center-riot.html

-- SPUTNIK 2015-11-09

Gee These migrants are not putting up a very good arquement to be let into a civilized country. They are not even in yet and are rioting and destroying things. what will they do when they get inside the borders. Build some nice ghettos for crime and riots like America has in Baltimore,Detroit etc.. Why would a country want people like this. They werenot happy in their own country and already are showing they arenot happy with Australia. Where does it end? I would send them back and say work out your problems before you try and come back to Australia. I would tell them we donot need your crap we offer help as better country to live and already you try to drag us down. Go home and grow up.

Gee These migrants are not putting up a very good arquement to be let into a civilized country. They are not even in yet and are rioting and destroying things. what will they do when they get inside the borders. Build some nice ghettos for crime and riots like America has in Baltimore,Detroit etc.. Why would a country want people like this. They werenot happy in their own country and already are showing they arenot happy with Australia. Where does it end? I would send them back and say work out your problems before you try and come back to Australia. I would tell them we donot need your crap we offer help as better country to live and already you try to drag us down. Go home and grow up.

They seem to be learning that violent outbreaks will get them worldwide media coverage.

Also sympathy and support from many people in Australia and elsewhere.

Gee These migrants are not putting up a very good arqument to be let into a civilized country.

May be just that simple. But one has to wonder why the "civilized country" would threaten to prosecute aid workers who reveal how these people are being treated in the detention centers.

Hard to draw conclusions without knowing what these folks have to live with day in and day out. There may be valid reasons for the unrest.

More than 40 doctors, nurses, teachers and other humanitarian workers have signed an open letter to the Australian government, challenging a new bill that could put whistleblowers in jail for disclosing the conditions of Australian detention centers.

Source: http://edition.cnn.com/2015/07/01/asia/australia-border-force-act/

They seem to be learning that violent outbreaks will get them worldwide media coverage.

Also sympathy and support from many people in Australia and elsewhere

Gee when I read it I felt no sympathy for them. i felt they were ungrateful ,demanding and use thuggery to get what they want. i only loathed them after reading this. they show up at some ones doorstep begging and then riot when they donot get what they want the way they want send them back and get a reality check till they learn to act civilized.

Edited by lovelomsak

Gee when I read it I felt no sympathy for them. i felt they were ungrateful ,demanding and use thuggery to get what they want. i only loathed them after reading this. they show up at some ones doorstep begging and then riot when they donot get what they want the way they want send them back and get a reality check till they learn to act civilized.

I'm sure that your attitude prevails in Australia and most of the western countries.

However, there is a vocal minority who support asylum seekers, either out of genuine sympathy or to support an agenda.

Edited by DeaconJohn

Unrest reported at Australian immigration detention camp

SYDNEY (AP) — Australian officials were working Monday to contain unrest at a remote detention center for asylum seekers in the Indian Ocean.

The immigration department confirmed there was a "major disturbance" at the immigration detention center on the Australian territory of Christmas Island. The department said in a statement that there were reports of damage but no injuries.

Refugee advocates say riots broke out following the death of an asylum seeker who escaped from the facility on Saturday. The man's body was found the following day at the bottom of cliffs on the island. The cause of his death is under investigation.

The immigration department denied there was a "large scale 'riot'," but said staff had withdrawn from the compound for safety reasons.

The department said the problem began when a small group of Iranian detainees staged a peaceful protest following the asylum seeker's death. Other detainees then began damaging the property, including lighting several small fires.

The group leading the unrest appeared to be detainees who are being held at the facility due to their visas being canceled — not asylum seekers, the department said.

New Zealand lawmaker Kelvin Davis, who recently visited the island, said a New Zealander held at the facility told him that detainees had taken over the center.

"They have put holes in the walls, so even if they are rounded up and put back in the cells they actually can't be locked up," Davis told the Australian Broadcasting Corp.

The immigration department said the perimeter was secure.

Australia has taken a tough stance in recent years on asylum seekers who try to reach its shores illegally. Asylum seekers who pay people smugglers to take them in rickety boats to Australia from Indonesia are detained on Christmas Island and on the impoverished Pacific island nations of Nauru and Papua New Guinea.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-11-09

I'm sure that your attitude prevails in Australia and most of the western countries.

However, there is a vocal minority who support asylum seekers, either out of genuine sympathy or to support an agenda.

I support asylum seekers but I donot support thugs and people who make demands on countries coming to their aid i have strong sympathy for good people to have a good life and welcome immigrants with open arms that arenot actively assaulting and rioting in the country trying to assist them. Back in Canada in the 50's some of my neighbours gave land to immigrants to help them start a new life . All or most of my friends in Canada are first generation Canadian. But the difference between the immigrants I knew and grew up with and these ones is simple. The ones i grew up became contributing memebers of society. And their children are too. The migrants in Australia that did this donot deserve the chance.

Immigration isnot there to bring down the established society.

Just read your posting name good one. Ever hear of the term bleeding deacon

Edited by lovelomsak

The guy who died trying to escape had been held for around five years in Oz immigration detention centres. It is claimed he was transferred to Christmas Island as he had been involved in a fight at another facility.

More to the point for those immediately jumping on the asylum seeker vilification band wagon...

"The group leading the unrest appeared to be detainees who are being held at the facility due to their visas being canceled — not asylum seekers, the department said"

Most will not know a number of foreign convicted criminals have been transferred to the island for final processing for deportation for those who have spent a year or more in Oz prisons.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-02-24/convicted-criminals-have-visas-cancelled/6254120

I support asylum seekers but I donot support thugs and people who make demands on countries coming to their aid i have strong sympathy for good people to have a good life and welcome immigrants with open arms that arenot actively assaulting and rioting in the country trying to assist them. Back in Canada in the 50's some of my neighbours gave land to immigrants to help them start a new life . All or most of my friends in Canada are first generation Canadian. But the difference between the immigrants I knew and grew up with and these ones is simple. The ones i grew up became contributing memebers of society. And their children are too. The migrants in Australia that did this donot deserve the chance.

Immigration isnot there to bring down the established society.

Just read your posting name good one. Ever hear of the term bleeding deacon

No, as a matter of fact I've never heard the term "bleeding deacon."

I've heard the term "bleeding heart", but neither that nor the former would describe my attitude toward asylum seekers, migrants, refugees, or whatever you want to call them. Nothing in my posts would support such a conclusion.

Your own pugnacious opinion comes through loud and clear in spite of its expression being hampered by fractured syntax, misspelled words, and poor grammar.

It's quite understandable when people want to protect their own countries from an influx of refugees. The first step in doing that is to stop bombing their homelands back to the stone age.

Reports suggest that a lot of the trouble was caused or led by a group of New Zealanders - New Zealanders by birth and still by citizenship in spite of having lived in Australia for a long time and having been convicted of criminal offences in Aussie. Basically they are appealing their deportation to NZ as they claim to be Aussies on time spent there. So they are lumped there with aliens trying to enter Aussie illegally but they can leave any time by accepting deportation to NZ. After causing all the trouble they are now whining that they are scared of retribution from the authorities...perhaps brains in gear earlier would not only have kept them from retribution here but also when committing the offences that landed them at Xmas Is.

Davis a lawmaker ? try an NZ opposition MP and he should be keeping his nose out of Aussies internal policy instead of ranting and raving that the facility should be shut down. That smells as bad as Aussies trying to stick their noses into Indonesia's business over executing the two drug runners earlier this year. Davis cannot seem to get it through his head closing the place down is opening the door for every wannabe boat load of illegals into Aussie and NZ.

On both counts of criminals and illegal immigrants there is little support for Davis's view here in NZ on either count with John Key coming out today saying he will not interfere in Aussies handling of the Christmas Island party which sounds like it may be coming to a prompt end with 200 guards arriving there.

Christmas Island may not be the most desirable of places or policy but it is what it is until lawmakers can up with a more effective means of deterring illegals into both Australia and eventually NZ.

Edited by Roadman

These legal refugees have been captured on the high seas by Australian Navy / Border Force(?) and put in offshore prison camps. Some have been illegally imprisoned for up to five years. Including young children. It has all been done in secret as Government Minister(s) do not comment on 'on water operations' whatever that means. Workers in the prison camps are under threat of two years imprisonment if they speak out. No press are permitted in the prison camps. There have been reports that Australian Government officials have engaged in paying people smugglers. There have been reports of torture, including 'water boarding' of refugees, rapes and children molested, one female refugee is currently on mainland Australia receiving 'medical treatment' due to a pregnancy after being raped numerous times. A number of deaths have been reported but no details as to how the deaths / murders (?) occurred. Four prisoners were 'resettled' in Cambodia at a cost of $AU50M to the Australian taxpayer.

This harsh secretive 'Sovereign Borders' policy was put in place by the recently sacked Conservative Prime Minister Abbott and is one of the many reasons for his dismissal.

It will be to the shame of the good Australian people that they did not stand up to the violation of the basic human rights of these people fleeing war torn countries and seeking sanctuary.

These legal refugees have been captured on the high seas by Australian Navy / Border Force(?) and put in offshore prison camps. Some have been illegally imprisoned for up to five years. Including young children. It has all been done in secret as Government Minister(s) do not comment on 'on water operations' whatever that means. Workers in the prison camps are under threat of two years imprisonment if they speak out. No press are permitted in the prison camps. There have been reports that Australian Government officials have engaged in paying people smugglers. There have been reports of torture, including 'water boarding' of refugees, rapes and children molested, one female refugee is currently on mainland Australia receiving 'medical treatment' due to a pregnancy after being raped numerous times. A number of deaths have been reported but no details as to how the deaths / murders (?) occurred. Four prisoners were 'resettled' in Cambodia at a cost of $AU50M to the Australian taxpayer.

This harsh secretive 'Sovereign Borders' policy was put in place by the recently sacked Conservative Prime Minister Abbott and is one of the many reasons for his dismissal.

It will be to the shame of the good Australian people that they did not stand up to the violation of the basic human rights of these people fleeing war torn countries and seeking sanctuary.

Why do you call these places prison camps? My understanding is they are intern camps for refugees. If the place is full of thugs who riot and destroy I would suspect they are the ones also doing the raping and other injustices. Just goes to show the Australian government should have left them afloat at sea to be at the mercy of the sea. The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Why do you call these places prison camps? My understanding is they are intern camps for refugees. If the place is full of thugs who riot and destroy I would suspect they are the ones also doing the raping and other injustices. Just goes to show the Australian government should have left them afloat at sea to be at the mercy of the sea. The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

It is not really right to say that they are prisoners as they are free to leave whenever they want and the Government will also fly them to where they want to go free. Many (not all) did not really have fear of life where they were.

Gee These migrants are not putting up a very good arqument to be let into a civilized country.

Hard to draw conclusions without knowing what these folks have to live with day in and day out. There may be valid reasons for the unrest.

Its "hard to draw conclusions..." Really? No, it is not hard to draw conclusions. Why should it be hard? This ridiculous insinuation of uncivilized human behavior is playing out all over the world.

People who peddle 'do not judge' and its hard to draw conclusions may mean well but what then festers is this cognitive dissonance in the minds of those who want to help others but just feel... they receive thanklessness, abuse, outrage, violence, pressure, oppression, rape, rage, demands for more accommodations, and more rage in exchange for their kindness and charity. "Hard to draw conclusions" does not comport with the full frontal assault many feel is upon their countries, their cultures, and their women daily. "Hard to draw conclusions" sounds eerily like cultural relativity and shut the f...c up!

It is easy to "draw conclusions."

Its "hard to draw conclusions..." Really? No, it is not hard to draw conclusions. Why should it be hard? This ridiculous insinuation of uncivilized human behavior is playing out all over the world.

People who peddle 'do not judge' and its hard to draw conclusions may mean well but what then festers is this cognitive dissonance in the minds of those who want to help others but just feel... they receive thanklessness, abuse, outrage, violence, pressure, oppression, rape, rage, demands for more accommodations, and more rage in exchange for their kindness and charity. "Hard to draw conclusions" does not comport with the full frontal assault many feel is upon their countries, their cultures, and their women daily. "Hard to draw conclusions" sounds eerily like cultural relativity and shut the f...c up!

Sure, it's easy to draw conclusions. If the government doesn't allow a free access to press, and they forbid aid workers (under threat of imprisonment) to discuss the conditions inside the detention camps, a reasonable person may conclude they have something they need to hide from the world and from the very people who (in theory) own the country and pay their salaries.

History is full of refugees who reached out for help and ended up in the hands of abusive "protectors". Aussie (and American and British and Spanish and Dutch...) history is full of despicable treatment of aboriginals and brown people.

Without accountability from the 4th estate and whistleblowers, I'd tend toward the conclusion that it's happening again. But I'd rather have the facts.

Edited by impulse

Our exchange is a perfect example of how two people look at the same information and arrive at different conclusions. Your perspective is valid. I get it. I just reach another conclusion.

I suppose I differ with the very generous term "refugees," but you and I would still likely arrive at different conclusions. Thank you for the exchange.

Now whether you agree with the Australian governments policy on how they deal with refugees is neither here nor there. But we are talking about people that have fled their country for various reasons, so they should be treated with some respect until they have been processed and categorized. I worked at the Australian run Manus Island detention centre in PNG as a Security Guard. Was in the thick of it in the riots there in Feb 2014. I can fully understand why they rioted and I would have done the same if I was in their shoes. It is a prison and the conditions are filthy. The heat and humidity is constant and the locals hate them. The same applies to Nauru but they have just made some big changes there. I have spoken to plenty of these boys on Manus and some have real horror stories of why they fled. But having said that, I know that there a minority that aren't genuine and just looking for a better life. Sure, most of them (not all) have an option to return home, but that is just not possible for some. And these boys have been there for over two years now and still not getting processed. It is a cluster all round on the part of the Aus & PNG govts.

And this new crackdown by Australia, deporting non Aussie citizens back to their home country if they have committed serious crime/s, seems to have caught up a fair few Kiwis. Hundreds I believe. Some of these Kiwis have lived all their life in Oz and never even visited NZ. That would be an eye opener for them. I also worked in the Police Watchouse on the Gold Coast and every 2nd person that came through that place was born in NZ..

^^

Indeed, a lot of these NZers are being done over by a change in law last year which automatically cancelled the visas of those who have done more than one year of time.

The law was designed to target terrorists, but it is clear that the departmenf immigration is using it to target and cancel the visas of everyone. Plenty of kiwi's are there appealing their deportation. Plenty had served their time well and had been just getting on with it before the law changed, but with the passing of the law a fair few have been caught up. Many have families and kids and left NZ when they were kids themselves and always thought of themselves as australian.

There was a similar problem in Cyprus a few days ago. Burning of tents etc and chants of "We want to move to Europe". The world is going mad and Ican't offer a solution - just despair.

p.s. I was in the army in Cyprus for 3 years. Lovely place - but then I wasn't a refugee.

So does that mean if I am volunteering to go to the detention center

being an Australian citizen for about 40 years having payed taxes

for that long the Australian gov only charge the tax payers

22.000 AUD per year because that is all I get on pension

(comparing how much it cos'ts to keep a prisoner )

Now whether you agree with the Australian governments policy on how they deal with refugees is neither here nor there. But we are talking about people that have fled their country for various reasons, so they should be treated with some respect until they have been processed and categorized. I worked at the Australian run Manus Island detention centre in PNG as a Security Guard. Was in the thick of it in the riots there in Feb 2014. I can fully understand why they rioted and I would have done the same if I was in their shoes. It is a prison and the conditions are filthy. The heat and humidity is constant and the locals hate them. The same applies to Nauru but they have just made some big changes there. I have spoken to plenty of these boys on Manus and some have real horror stories of why they fled. But having said that, I know that there a minority that aren't genuine and just looking for a better life. Sure, most of them (not all) have an option to return home, but that is just not possible for some. And these boys have been there for over two years now and still not getting processed. It is a cluster all round on the part of the Aus & PNG govts.

And this new crackdown by Australia, deporting non Aussie citizens back to their home country if they have committed serious crime/s, seems to have caught up a fair few Kiwis. Hundreds I believe. Some of these Kiwis have lived all their life in Oz and never even visited NZ. That would be an eye opener for them. I also worked in the Police Watchouse on the Gold Coast and every 2nd person that came through that place was born in NZ..

Seems by what you say it is not a good idea to be a refugee in these camps. In the future they should ask the people if they want to be rescued or float around in the ocean till a better offer comes their way. Or get their specifics well on the boat and let them know they will get back to them on the boat when the have been processed and categorized

Sure, it's easy to draw conclusions. If the government doesn't allow a free access to press, and they forbid aid workers (under threat of imprisonment) to discuss the conditions inside the detention camps, a reasonable person may conclude they have something they need to hide from the world and from the very people who (in theory) own the country and pay their salaries.

History is full of refugees who reached out for help and ended up in the hands of abusive "protectors". Aussie (and American and British and Spanish and Dutch...) history is full of despicable treatment of aboriginals and brown people.

Without accountability from the 4th estate and whistleblowers, I'd tend toward the conclusion that it's happening again. But I'd rather have the facts.

They are more like concentration camps than detention ones! They treat these poor immigrants like the Nazis treated the jews, except they havent started exterminating them yet.

Perhaps you would like to clarify why the Oz government cancelled the contract for the original outsource company, G4 and go on to explain why the current contractors, Transfield & Wilson relocated some of their management back to Australia to avoid scrutiny. A number of local employees have had their employment terminated because of abuse, though one ex detainee has been accused of rape.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/rapes-sexual-assault-drugs-for-favours-in-australias-detention-centre-on-nauru-independent-moss-review-20150320-1m46za.html

Interesting to note your advocacy of drowning at sea for refugees.

Edited by simple1