Ni Number And Isa

JAS21

My wife wants to open an ISA. However she does not have an NI Number...does not work and isn't likely to. She is a UK citizen. e-mail reply from bank says no NI no ISA

Anyone any experience of this..would she get an NI number on basis of wanting to open and ISA?

Its a little more complex than that, not just NI number but also, as a result of anti money laundering legislation, your wife will also need a registered address in the UK and will need to produce evidence of her address, (Utility Bills/Record of Council Tax Payment).

I'm currently starting a second educational savings plan for the rug rats and because I’m living overseas I too have run into difficulties with these requirements, despite already holding ISAs with the exact same fund managers I'm trying to do business with.

For an ISA you have to be UK resident, and if UK resident the DHS (or their current name) will give you a NI number.

Supposed to be very easy to get but when I tried it for my daughter I had problems that took a while to overcome. In her case no job until she had an NI number, no NI number until she had a job (that bit was untrue)

PS Resident in this case is resident for UK tax purposes, ie in the UK for over 183 days in one year or over an average of 91 days a year for the last - is it 3 or 4 years?

Edited by briley

For an ISA you have to be UK resident, and if UK resident the DHS (or their current name) will give you a NI number.

Supposed to be very easy to get but when I tried it for my daughter I had problems that took a while to overcome. In her case no job until she had an NI number, no NI number until she had a job (that bit was untrue)

PS Resident in this case is resident for UK tax purposes, ie in the UK for over 183 days in one year or over an average of 91 days a year for the last - is it 3 or 4 years?

Not so Sir,

I went through this with my missus in UK - once she had leave to stay she immediately got a job with a temporary NI number.

A quick phone call to the local job centre and a five minute sit down got her a permanent NI no.

Easy as pie - they want you to pay tax!. (Little bit like Thailand these days eh?).

Cheers,

Couthy.

My wife wants to open an ISA. However she does not have an NI Number...does not work and isn't likely to. She is a UK citizen. e-mail reply from bank says no NI no ISA

Anyone any experience of this..would she get an NI number on basis of wanting to open and ISA?

John, your wife does not work, does not intend to, so is not a UK taxpayer, so what use would a UK ISA be to her as a non taxpayer?

I would urge you both to get an NI number for her though, if possible, the benefits become more visible when really needed, and having one does not mean that she has to go to work.

John, your wife does not work, does not intend to, so is not a UK taxpayer, so what use would a UK ISA be to her as a non taxpayer?

I would urge you both to get an NI number for her though, if possible, the benefits become more visible when really needed, and having one does not mean that she has to go to work.

Yes, surely she could just bung her dosh in a normal savings account and get gross interest up to the limit of her tax allowance?

Admin2