Hermit missing in Italy for 20 years is found by mushroom pickers

webfact

Hermit missing in Italy for 20 years is found by mushroom pickers

606x341_316781.jpg

ROME: -- A hermit, who was presumed dead after disappearing 20 years ago, has been found alive and living in a forest in Tuscany.

Carlos Sanchez Ortiz De Salazar, a doctor from Seville, dropped out of in 1995, at the age of 26 suffering from depression.

Two mushroom pickers discovered him by accident but that he’s now changed his hiding place

The mushroom pickers contacted a Spanish missing person’s association who managed to trace Carlos’ parents who immediately flew to Italy to search for their son but he appears to have vanished again leaving no trace.

His mother said it was ‘very important’ to know that he was alive as they had been worried about his health.

His sister Olga tweeted: ‘Thank you for giving us hope that has given some relief in the terrible tragedy that we have been living.’

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2015-11-10

Great story! Just imagine what stories this guy could tell. He's living, I mean truly LIVING on this planet for 20 years while most of us are caught in the rat race, blinded by media, propaganda, influencial people, consuming BS we don't need... I kind of admire him!

Great story! Just imagine what stories this guy could tell. He's living, I mean truly LIVING on this planet for 20 years while most of us are caught in the rat race, blinded by media, propaganda, influencial people, consuming BS we don't need... I kind of admire him!

Would you want to trade places with him? Perhaps the happy median is somewhere between the two extremes.

His sister Olga tweeted: ‘Thank you for giving us hope that has given some relief in the terrible tragedy that we have been living.’

I'm a bit amiss here what tragedy the sister is referring to? I mean the guy wanted to leave the life he had lived and chose to seek loneliness and so far has survived.

I too, would like to give it a slip someday. Actually, my residence in Thailand could be quite self-sustaining even now with a bit of work and some more land to grow food on. I love gardening and have quite a few fruit trees and coconuts growing. Love fresh fruit.

As a reference, Chinese live their working lives in Confucian effort to improve their family fortune and all effort is concentrated to serve the family. Later when retired, they change to Taoism which is quite the total opposite. They tend to build - those who can afford it - a small cottage at the mountains or similar enjoying the nature and contemplating their own life.

I have many times wondered whether I would have been happier without responsibilities. I hope that in about 5 years time my adopted daughter will find some nice guy and I can have more time for myself. It is not like I don't like to have family but sometimes it takes it's toll. And I am a guy that likes to read and think. Part of my job is to just sit around thinking the ways to proceed with my work.

Something to think about. What defines as a good life?

yea eating bugs sleeping in a tree , stealing grapes , spanking da monkey by moonlight , yea dats da life .....................give me a break ...................

I'm a bit amiss here what tragedy the sister is referring to? I mean the guy wanted to leave the life he had lived and chose to seek loneliness and so far has survived.

I too, would like to give it a slip someday. Actually, my residence in Thailand could be quite self-sustaining even now with a bit of work and some more land to grow food on. I love gardening and have quite a few fruit trees and coconuts growing. Love fresh fruit.

As a reference, Chinese live their working lives in Confucian effort to improve their family fortune and all effort is concentrated to serve the family. Later when retired, they change to Taoism which is quite the total opposite. They tend to build - those who can afford it - a small cottage at the mountains or similar enjoying the nature and contemplating their own life.

I have many times wondered whether I would have been happier without responsibilities. I hope that in about 5 years time my adopted daughter will find some nice guy and I can have more time for myself. It is not like I don't like to have family but sometimes it takes it's toll. And I am a guy that likes to read and think. Part of my job is to just sit around thinking the ways to proceed with my work.

Something to think about. What defines as a good life?

The answer to your question is................

HAPPINESS.

yea eating bugs sleeping in a tree , stealing grapes , spanking da monkey by moonlight , yea dats da life .....................give me a break ...................

A rare few can and most cannot. The article informed that he was

and quite possibly still is suffering from depression which can be

incredibly debilitating. This is his way of dealing with the problem

and I would venture to say that after 20 years he's most likely succeeded.

Weird story!

I mean I can understand a wanted criminal hiding from the law, or even a Japanese Soldier hiding in some jungle somewhere, but a 26 year old doctor hiding in the forest for 20 years is a new one on me. I don't think he is old enough to get fed up with life yet.

There just has got to be more to this story than what we know. Being a doctor, he was in a better position to handle depression then any of us. Besides that, depression may make you suicidal, and it may even make you want to be withdrawn from society and people, but hiding in some bush for 20 years seems a bit extreme to me.

The family should have stayed home and felt good their son/brother was still alive and breathing. He left once for a reason and didn't want to be found. He was found and is now gone again. Be happy he is alive still. I know its easier to say things when not emmotionally involved.

He seems to be fine with it and obviously prefers being alone.

After missing for 20 years and being presumed dead, his mother whas been worried about his health??

His sister is worried about "the tragedy she has been living"??

Maybe his messed up family is what convinced him to disapear in the first place!

Leave the poor guy alone.

He is probably happy and content.

Edited by willyumiii

I kind of like my comforts, though. I like to visit the forests, not live in them.

He is Fine ?!

For you posters who would like to believe he is fine and living the good life by his own choice. His families reaction says it all. Has a 5 to 1 odds he is indeed suffering from mental illness.

Edited by LomSak27

Did they try his Facebook page? laugh.png

No, he was not lost, he knew where he was the whole time. If he truly lived off the grid, self-sufficiently, for 20 years my hat is off to him. There seems to be this sentiment that he must be found, his parents must see him, he is in some sort of desperate need, etc. Leave him be, look at the lengths he's gone through to put himself away from it all.

Here is a Tom Waits song about the death of one such fellow, sung by the deceased in his grave

He is Fine ?!

For you posters who would like to believe he is fine and living the good life by his own choice. His families reaction says it all. Has a 5 to 1 odds he is indeed suffering from mental illness.

I agree. Except I would increase your odds to 25 to 1.

Let's Face it! It isn't normal for a 26 year old doctor, who must have just completed 7 years of medical training, to totally try and disappear away from family and friends and hide in some forest for 20 years unless something was wrong.

There is people who are afraid of being in an elevator, or heights, but also people who are afraid to go out in public. Some never leave there house or apartment. Some are so afraid that they need other people to do their shopping for them. So they live like prisoners in there own apartments or houses.

Look at Howard Hughes! He was always a bit of an eccentric millionaire but look how he spent his remaining years. He became so afraid of germs that he washed his hands a hundred times a day, and refused to pick anything up without a tissue paper. He refused to shakes anyone's hand and avoided human contact all together. So there you have it. A man with a brave history who is now so afraid of germs he refuses to have any human contact and lived like a Hermit. Is that normal? Was he happy living this way?

I don't believe these people are happy with there life this way. Being so afraid of germs or going outside in public. I think they live this way only because they don't know how else to live any other way without fear. They need help and not some empty forest to hide.

Interesting story..

My first question:

How does one become a Doctor before they are 26 years old?

Don't know about Spain, but in the UK, students remaining in full-time education receive a medical degree at the age of 23.

If it was a Ph. D., then 23 is also possible.

While I agree somewhat with what you are saying....this fellow has chosen a rather selfish way out, wouldn't you say? How would you like to be poor ol' mom and pops, who had no clue what happened to their son for all those years?