Farang with baby leaves Bangkok taxi after driver refuses to stop smoking

webfact

Bit of secondhand smoke for a few minutes. Hardly going to cause any damage.he is smoking out the window anyway

Baby is more likely to get worse issues from ten minutes exposed to the bangkok traffic pollution

Really? you are supporting the Taxi driver ?????

So, if you got in a Taxi and the driver lit up a cigarette you would have no objections ?

Nope, not a problem at all. I live in a big city with the usual smog. I eat food with preservatives in them. I lived through years in Oz where smoking and bars and clubs was the norm.

A few minutes in a taxi with a smoker is not going to do one bit of harm to me. Its a non issue to me.

If it was an issue all I would have to do was wait a nano second for another.

It might be a non issue to you (your personal opinion and choice) but times have changed / the world ha smoved on / there is lot more serious evidence about second hand smoke.

Yes my reaction is serious - because I lost a loved one to second hand smoke.

Here's the summary: father was achain smoker, used every cigarette to light the next cigarette, at least 4 pack a day plus roll your own, smoked all over all his kids 20 hours a day, during meals, in the car, etc.

End result, all of his three children died around mid thirties from lung cancer from second hand smoke, none of them ever smoked one cigarette. His wife died early fifties from lung cancer, never smoked a cigarette in her life. The father died of lung cancer when he was 55.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 days and a 1000bht fine? bet he is shi@@ing himeself!

I'm not sure that pay 1000 Bht fine for a thai was good.

1000 bht is nothing for a farang, but for a thai is different.....

So what if it is different for a Thai? make it 10,000 or 20,000baht. If he didn't do wrong he would not pay 1 baht! Let the buggers learn the hard way!

Average monthly salary in Thailand is between 4,863 bahts for a construction worker to 48.036 baths for Airlines pilots

A bus driver is 7.654 baths I think a taxi driver is under 10 000 baths/ month.

In Thailand taxi driver prefers short trip than longer trip

No wonder there is a water shortage! I always shower but with all these workers taking so many "baths" (sic), I now understand why the farmers cannot grow rice ;-)

Bit of secondhand smoke for a few minutes. Hardly going to cause any damage.he is smoking out the window anyway

Baby is more likely to get worse issues from ten minutes exposed to the bangkok traffic pollution

So, if you got in a Taxi and the driver lit up a cigarette you would have no objections ?

I'm not supporting either of them.

The guy chose to change taxis... in the middle of the road..possibly dangerous in itself.

Would the smoke have affected his baby? The answer is no.

I'm not supporting either of them.

The guy chose to change taxis... in the middle of the road..possibly dangerous in itself.

Would the smoke have affected his baby? The answer is no.

How do you know that? Exposure to second hand smoke can be carcinogenic decreases lung capacity and can give rise to allergies. Exposure limits that lead to these conditions are debatable but are accumulative especially in a confined area combined with an already polluted environment. So the father did a a reasonable and entirely honorable thing. He protected his most precious possession, his baby.

How do you know that? Exposure to second hand smoke can be carcinogenic decreases lung capacity and can give rise to allergies. Exposure limits that lead to these conditions are debatable but are accumulative especially in a confined area combined with an already polluted environment. So the father did a a reasonable and entirely honorable thing. He protected his most precious possession, his baby.

A few minutes of possible secondhand smoke is dangerous? I say possible because the smoke probably would have been blown out the window.

I guess every person on the planet who is over 10 years of age would have been exposed to secondhand smoke while a baby or young in some way. Maybe you lived in a special bubble?

Interesting also that you see the baby as his possession

Edited by BookMan

Is it really necessary to use the derogatory word farang in the title? Gutter Press I guess.

Is farang a derogatory word?

No.

l take no offence.

ln the same catorgary as Brit, Aussie or Yank.

lncluding Frog or Kraut might upset some, though!

If the window is open to let out the cancerous secondhand smoke won't the pollution from Bangkok traffic be entering the car anyway? Edited by Bluespunk

Same as everywhere else in the world: one low life creep doing the wrong thing, 400,000 horrified by it. The difference is that in most places the authorities would deal with him, if only in response to public opinion. Sadly in Thailand it doesn't work that was as a rule

The article did say that officials are trying to track the creep down, so what are you talking about? I hope the guy does get a big fat fine, but what else can they do? What would happen to an American taxi driver if this happened in the US?

This guy has nothing better to dot han make absurd posts. Its all he has to do all day.....take a look at the number of Posts he has made

Nope, not a problem at all. I live in a big city with the usual smog. I eat food with preservatives in them. I lived through years in Oz where smoking and bars and clubs was the norm.

A few minutes in a taxi with a smoker is not going to do one bit of harm to me. Its a non issue to me.

It might be a non issue to you (your personal opinion and choice) but times have changed / the world ha smoved on / there is lot more serious evidence about second hand smoke.

Here's the summary: father was achain smoker, used every cigarette to light the next cigarette, at least 4 pack a day plus roll your own, smoked all over all his kids 20 hours a day, during meals, in the car, etc.

End result, all of his three children died around mid thirties from lung cancer from second hand smoke, none of them ever smoked one cigarette. His wife died early fifties from lung cancer, never smoked a cigarette in her life. The father died of lung cancer when he was 55.

Both my parents smoked. Father died of lung cancer. Mother still alive but not smoking now. None of us sons ever smoked. Spent all our lives around smoke, offices, homes, cars, clubs. None of us have cancer.

However, what you and I say is nothing to do with this.

If you sit in a taxi for 15 or so minutes and the guy is smoking do you think you have a chance of getting cancer? I think those that think they will suffer ill effects are being far too dramatic.

UP TO YOU!

If you do not want to ride in a Taxi who's driver smokes...don't.

There are other taxis.

It is the drivers choice to smoke or not, he spends all day in his cab.

Maybe he will have fewer customers, but that is UP TO HIM.

It is your choice to ride with him or not.

Much better than a nanny state where the government controls everyone's behaviour and removes all choices.

I guess you can go back to your nanny if you don't like it.

I smoke and prefer a driver who smokes and doesn't mind if I do on a long trip.

post-147745-0-25892900-1447422209_thumb.

Edited by willyumiii

@Linky

You said

Both my parents smoked. Father died of lung cancer. Mother still alive but not smoking now. None of us sons ever smoked. Spent all our lives around smoke, offices, homes, cars, clubs. None of us have cancer.

However, what you and I say is nothing to do with this.

If you sit in a taxi for 15 or so minutes and the guy is smoking do you think you have a chance of getting cancer? I think those that think they will suffer ill effects are being far too dramatic.

Me

Not all who had a similar upbringing were so lucky.

Secondhand smoke can and has been a cause of cancer in those who do not smoke.

Not all those affected in this manner survive.

Edited by Bluespunk

It's not all about you, sorry to say. Some people can't stand the smoke and the baby can't speak for himself...he's completely dependent on his dad to take care of him. My mother was a chain-smoker. She chain-smoked all day in our tiny house with all the doors and windows shut and I was forced to breathe the clouds of smoke for the first 16 years of my life. I developed asthma as a toddler and still my mother made no effort to curb her smoking or to go outside to smoke. To this day I have extremely reactive airways. If I even breathe a little second-hand smoke my throat constricts and I start gagging. There are a lot of people like me who can't handle cigarette smoke and they shouldn't be forced to breathe it just because you think it isn't a problem. Once again, it isn't all about you, there are other people on the planet and they aren't all exactly like you.

I am always amused how a thread gets distorted on issues which are not relevant to the story.

First things first, I am a smoker, but like a few others, I don't smoke in the house (which is mine and I am not a guest in) I do smoke in public, like thousands of others. Let cut to the chase.

1). Are Bangkok taxis smoke free ? If yes, the driver was in the wrong.

2). Are there signs in Bangkok taxis stating its a no smoking zone. If not the the driver or passenger have the right to light up.

3). If there are signs, but this particular driver has removed it, then he could not complain if his passengers lit up also.

4). I won't go through the story again,did the passenger AKA Farang, travel any distance with the driver smoking, or was it a case of stopping the cab, seeing the driver smoking and refuse the offer ?

There are always many sides to a story but the Grandmothers on here jump straight in

I couldn't care less if you want to smoke yourself to death but you have no right to inflict your disgusting habit on other people. It doesn't matter if there are no-smoking laws or not. Grow up, you know full well that you are inflicting damage on other people when you expose them to your smoke...even in public. You need to see a sign before you can light up even though you already know it is wrong to smoke around other people? I've had to leave restaurants a few times because people were smoking and blowing huge clouds of smoke in my face...even outdoor cafes aren't safe because the smoke still blows into the face of the people at the next table. I've had to leave a half-eaten meal a few times because of inconsiderate people like you...I usually politely ask them to stop, if they say no then I get up and leave. You smokers act like it is your right to destroy the people around you. You are troglodytes and your days are numbered.

My Mum was a smoker until a couple of years before she died age 69.

My wife smokes and she is 50 and still going but she doesn't smoke in the house nor in the car when our 12 year old son is there.

I am an ex smoker who quit 5 times and the last time was in 1970. I am 71 and still going strong.

I am always amused how a thread gets distorted on issues which are not relevant to the story.

First things first, I am a smoker, but like a few others, I don't smoke in the house (which is mine and I am not a guest in) I do smoke in public, like thousands of others. Let cut to the chase.

2). Are there signs in Bangkok taxis stating its a no smoking zone. If not the the driver or passenger have the right to light up.

3). If there are signs, but this particular driver has removed it, then he could not complain if his passengers lit up also.

4). I won't go through the story again,did the passenger AKA Farang, travel any distance with the driver smoking, or was it a case of stopping the cab, seeing the driver smoking and refuse the offer ?

There are always many sides to a story but the Grandmothers on here jump straight in

I couldn't care less if you want to smoke yourself to death but you have no right to inflict your disgusting habit on other people. It doesn't matter if there are no-smoking laws or not. Grow up, you know full well that you are inflicting damage on other people when you expose them to your smoke...even in public. You need to see a sign before you can light up even though you already know it is wrong to smoke around other people? I've had to leave restaurants a few times because people were smoking and blowing huge clouds of smoke in my face...even outdoor cafes aren't safe because the smoke still blows into the face of the people at the next table. I've had to leave a half-eaten meal a few times because of inconsiderate people like you...I usually politely ask them to stop, if they say no then I get up and leave. You smokers act like it is your right to destroy the people around you. You are troglodytes and your days are numbered.

I appreciate your views, however self centered they are .. BUT let's take another angle. I am a frequent flyer with two airlines, I seem to be upgraded regularly, very nice but end up sitting next to Hi Sos who seems to bathe in perfumes. Sadly I have a very serious allergy to Passsion which literally stops my breathing routine. Try getting up and leaving at 30,000 ft?

I appreciate your views, however self centered they are .. BUT let's take another angle. I am a frequent flyer with two airlines, I seem to be upgraded regularly, very nice but end up sitting next to Hi Sos who seems to bathe in perfumes. Sadly I have a very serious allergy to Passsion which literally stops my breathing routine. Try getting up and leaving at 30,000 ft?

Soooo, your point is that because someone made you breathe noxious perfume on an airplane that you should be able to force people to breathe your smoke? You're nuts.

Soooo, your point is that because someone made you breathe noxious perfume on an airplane that you should be able to force people to breathe your smoke? You're nuts.

I think you're being very kind in your reply.

Nah, just batter a poor working Thai Man with your Ferang Nanny Ways. The Ferang looks like a dork best avoided.A puff of Fag Smoke in BKK ?., i never took my kids into such a polluted place,and im a non smoker..Pathetic Knee Jerk response.

It has nothing to do with second hand smoke or battering a poor working Thai Man. As stated in the article, it is illegal for a taxi driver to smoke with passengers.

Sugree Jarubhumi, Director of Department of Land Transport, told Daily News yesterday it is illegal for taxi drivers to smoke while having a passenger in the vehicle.

So baby or no baby it doesn't matter. He should have put the damm thing out when his passengers got in the car.

i have had dam bronchitis for 6 weeks can't seem to shift it, caused by breathing in Bangkoks exhaust fumes, (hospital analysis) so i expect the poor kid got an even bigger dose off pollution by being out of the taxi.

I think the argument here is the father and child should not have to have got out of the taxi in the first place, see it now?

Father concerned for his baby's respiratory system takes toddler for a stroll around one of the most polluted cities on the planet

He had the window open on the taxi, do you think pollution could enter that way? Would you be happy with your baby inhaling other peoples stale smoke? He did what he thought was best for the child.