USA -- low budget repatriation specific locations that aren't horrible

23 hours ago, mogandave said:

The reason the percentage of Hispanics is so low is because of the high percentage of blacks.

I understand why you think that, but I can rebut that as the reason.

Compare Washington D.C. federal district excluding surrounding Maryland/Virginia suburbs VS. City of St. Louis (excluding surrounding suburbs including St. Louis County). St. Louis city is different than St. Louis County. St. Louis City weirdly isn't in a county. D.C. has about double the population of St. Louis city.

Now with that buildup here is the blacks vs. Latinos in both cities. As you can clearly see BOTH cities have a very high black population but St. Louis has a MUCH SMALLER Latino population by percentage than D.C.

Therefore, the reason there are so few Latinos by percentage in St. Louis is NOT because of the high percentage of blacks.

(source -- U.S. census from wiki)

WASHINGTON D.C. --

47.7% Black or African American

44.6% White (36.4% non-Hispanic White)

4.1% Asian
10.9% Native Hispanics of any race

ST. LOUIS CITY --

49.2% African American

43.9% White

2.9% Asian

3.5% Hispanic or Latino of any race

Edited by Jingthing
Well that proves it. Comparing a sanctuary "city" with a huge percentage of government jobs to pretty much the opposite....

Makes sense

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

You always have your special way of spinning it. Personally I think sparse Latinos is a negative. My ideal is lots of diversity. Places with a tiny percentage of Asians for example means there definitely won't be much decent Asian food. In the case of STL it's clear there is a concentration near Olive road.  For all I know there are a lot of Latinos out there as well. I had compared it to Atlanta suburban Asian food mecca Buford Highway. But that area is more Latino than Asian.

Not to be insulting to Latinos but in the typical U.S city Latinos are vital to both construction and restaurant work.

Tampa Bay people wonder if they were just lucky or something else.

www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/tampa-bays-escape-from-irma-was-more-than-luck-some-say/2017/09/15/5f7b618e-9a20-11e7-87fc-c3f7ee4035c9_story.html

In thinking about the Tampa Bay area I have to wonder how often I would actually go to the beach. Obviously a top feature of that region. I wouldn't be living right on the gulf or bay and wouldn't have a view either. I probably would be near or even with a view of a gator friendly pond or lake. I do think being near large bodies of water is very pleasant and calming but I don't count a small lake in a condo complex.

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

You always have your special way of spinning it. Personally I think sparse Latinos is a negative. My ideal is lots of diversity. Places with a tiny percentage of Asians for example means there definitely won't be much decent Asian food. In the case of STL it's clear there is a concentration near Olive road.  For all I know there are a lot of Latinos out there as well. I had compared it to Atlanta suburban Asian food mecca Buford Highway. But that area is more Latino than Asian.

Not to be insulting to Latinos but in the typical U.S city Latinos are vital to both construction and restaurant work.

Don't forget prison guards and the support staff.  Latinos 19% of US prison population. 

37 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Tampa Bay people wonder if they were just lucky or something else.

www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/tampa-bays-escape-from-irma-was-more-than-luck-some-say/2017/09/15/5f7b618e-9a20-11e7-87fc-c3f7ee4035c9_story.html

In thinking about the Tampa Bay area I have to wonder how often I would actually go to the beach. Obviously a top feature of that region. I wouldn't be living right on the gulf or bay and wouldn't have a view either. I probably would be near or even with a view of a gator friendly pond or lake. I do think being near large bodies of water is very pleasant and calming but I don't count a small lake in a condo complex.

I was born and raised by large bodies of water and only went when wanting to look women at nude beaches or racing boats.  Thailand I don't go to the ocean at all.  I have people steal my money and throw ice water on me when I get the urge to race sailboats again.  In Florida look for the waterfowl and birds in the small lakes.  If you see them there are no gators.  I hope you like coot sounds.  They don't bother me but it drives some people crazy they make roosters seem like quiet birds.

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

There is another factor being in a beach resort type area. You can dress super casual, shorts, t shirts, sandals and all.

Not the same in a big city with more seasons like St. Louis etc.

Thinking about it that's probably a bigger feature than the beaches.

You can wear speedos, black socks and sandals and people will think you are German. 

German.jpg

Well where I live now I have a good view of the Gulf of Thailand from my condo. I totally love that. But that's not the same thing as schlepping to the beach which honestly I don't like. But if they were super beautiful beaches like they have in the Tampa Bay area perhaps it would be different. Only perhaps.

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Well where I live now I have a good view of the Gulf of Thailand from my condo. I totally love that. But that's not the same thing as schlepping to the beach which honestly I don't like. But if they were super beautiful beaches like they have in the Tampa Bay area perhaps it would be different. Only perhaps.

Florida beach view after Irma this week.

Florida beach view.jpg

Edited by amvet

Delmar loop in the news. Not in a good way. I'm confused. I would have thought violent protests like this would be more of a central city thing. Clearly I'm a real newbie about St. Louis.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/protests-turn-violent-in-delmar-loop-late-saturday-second-night/article_d93c9b0b-3958-5bba-a00b-bc971b2e9f4a.html

Trouble in what I never thought for a moment was paradise.

Spin? Something about what I said that doesn't make sense?

I think you'd also find a much greater percentage of the "Latinos" in DC Puerto Rican and Cuban than Mexican.

Spin? Something about what I said that doesn't make sense?

I think you'd also find a much greater percentage of the "Latinos" in DC Puerto Rican and Cuban than Mexican.

Not going to argue with you. Immigration politics is off topic here but you injected it.

Anyway some of the choices on my list would be very heavily Latino such as Tucson. The demographic mix of a place definitely does impact on the living experience. My ideal is a healthy diverse balance.

Not going to argue with you. Immigration politics is off topic here but you injected it.

Anyway some of the choices on my list would be very heavily Latino such as Tucson. The demographic mix of a place definitely does impact on the living experience. My ideal is a healthy diverse balance.

Indeed

Yes indeed.
Looking more into St. Louis it looks like buying anything liveable isn't realistic for me and lower rents would be possible but possibly only depressing places.
That said I think St Louis is worth a look to many people in different situations than mine.
Still open to it but strictly as a retirement destination a big city like that is not going be able to provide that "endless vacation" feel that places like St. Petersburg and some places in Arizona could. The same could be said about Atlanta being similar to St. Louis that way.

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Maybe you told me before, but you lived there and for how long? 

I moved there from Chicago in the 1981 and lasted for a year before I moved to Little Rock which seemed like a paradise after working next to Monsanto. I imagine you really like Monsanto right? 

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Look I'm not naive. I know there are serious racial tensions in St Louis just as there are in Baltimore and many other cities. It would be silly not to take such things into account. But frankly I don't see how that is avoided in most big cities.

You could go to Detroit.  It's all black.  No racial tension only one race there.  The blacks don't like the blacks but I don't think you could call that racial tension.  Before you ask I lived in Detroit for 20 years and left when all the other white people left.

Below is my elementary school.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrUweuaAR3k

Edited by amvet
You could go to Detroit.  It's all black.  No racial tension only one race there.  The blacks don't like the blacks but I don't think you could call that racial tension.  Before you ask I lived in Detroit for 20 years and left when all the other white people left.

Below is my elementary school.

I looked into Detroit. Rejected it based on weather and high costs other than real estate. Detroit is a fair comparison to the city of St. Louis though because of the decline of population.
I moved there from Chicago in the 1981 and lasted for a year before I moved to Little Rock which seemed like a paradise after working next to Monsanto. I imagine you really like Monsanto right? 

I don't particularly like Monsanto no.

I passed through Little Rock. Seemed boring.

I looked into Detroit. Rejected it based on weather and high costs other than real estate. Detroit is a fair comparison to the city of St. Louis though because of the decline of population.

On the black white thing no I wouldn't move to the south side of Chicago. I'm not suicidal. I have lived in very Latino areas but my look blends in well in such places. My ideal is an interesting mix of ethnicities and enough Asians to support authentic restaurants.
Thank you Mr. Bigot.  

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Ha ha.  

Joking or not, it's moronic to act like race/ethnicity isn't a huge fact of life in the USA. On my Latino Barrio experiences I had blondie friends there and they all got mugged multiple times. I never was. Purely anecdotal that's the ticket.

Anyway like I said before I like to have plenty of Latinos around but I prefer areas that aren't strongly dominated by any ethnicity. Other people like different dynamics. It is part of the choice of where you live if you have any choice.