USA -- low budget repatriation specific locations that aren't horrible

Don't need to know why I might have the need to move back. I understand the curiosity but that isn't what the topic is really about.

The topic is about what happens when people do repatriate FOR WHATEVER REASON when they hadn't PLANNED on doing so.

People repatriate ALL THE TIME, for a myriad of reasons. This thread is NOT about my personal reason. It's about the actual thing --- repatriation with limited options.

At a future time, sure, I will post about the reasons, whether resolved or not, but I am not even close to that yet. The posting would be in the spirit of perhaps helping other people that my experience MIGHT be instructive to others.

No point in asking me about the reasons again. If some people don't want to post here because it annoys them that I won't talk about the reasons, then don't participate. No worries.

I've already given enough of my age to be relevant ... not old enough to claim social security but not all that far off. I have already well fleshed out my financials, so if you want, I will repeat:

-- Own a condo in Thailand which I would probably need to sell and potentially have the money to buy something low cost for cash in the U.S.

-- Have other financial assets that are probably enough when combined with S.S. income to live in Thailand for life (no guarantees) but would be much weaker buying power in the U.S.

-- As far as INCOME, only SOCIAL SECURITY, but not yet

-- Chronic medical conditions that are very well managed and not serious if well managed, but stopping the management would probably kill me quickly ... easy and cheap to do in Thailand; would need coverage in the U.S.

-- Medicare age 65, far off from now

Not enough? What else would help that isn't going overboard short of posting my I.D., social security number, and financial institution balances?

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Jing, I don't think people are trying to pry for the sake of prying. And you're certainly entitled to the level of privacy you desire.

But, the details of a particular person's situation and motivation for moving back are likely to influence what would be the best location choices for them back in the States.

That why, I think, most people who are asking are asking.

• Like 2

Jing, I don't think people are trying to pry for the sake of prying. And you're certainly entitled to the level of privacy you desire.

But, the details of a particular person's situation and motivation for moving back are likely to influence what would be the best location choices for them back in the States.

That why, I think, most people who are asking are asking.

I am not convinced that there is any relevance.

It's still the same USA I would be moving back to regardless of the reason for moving back for a person with the general financial, work prospects (almost none), and age group profile that I have revealed.

I've also already mentioned that a common reason for people moving out, that they have run out of money for living in Thailand and/or can no longer qualify for extensions to stay here, does NOT apply to me.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I think, as someone touched on previously, in light of your stated income, perhaps the tax question needs to be turned on its head. Every state needs a boatload of income to meet its obligations and balance its budget each year (an annual balanced budget is a requirement as opposed to the federal government).

How they do that is up to them. My state, Washington, has no state income tax, which means they rely on an extremely high sales tax and other high fees. With that in mind I suggest looking for states with high income taxes, because with your low income, that issue will be largely irrelevant, and if those state's income taxes are high, there is a better chance that sales taxes and the like are lower than average (with some exceptions like New York and California).

The other piece that would interest me is a milder climate. We all have lived through the brutal hot weather in Thailand, where everyone avoids the afternoon sun as much as possible. Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Florida, Alabama and many others have many months each year where the weather is brutal. There is something to be said for moderation IMO and the ability to go out for a nice afternoon or evening walk without ending up drenched in sweat.

Edited by SpokaneAl
  • Like 1

So in other words, this topic not about anyone specific re-locating to the USA but for anyone re-locating to the USA who is not approaching Medicare age, has a chronic but manageable medical condition, is reasonably indigent to the point that social security may one day be his only source of income, may upon arrival in the USA be dependent upon Medicaid for medical treatment, and likes warm weather and Vietnamese food. Other than that, just the general case.

• Like 2

6 pages and counting. I too am retreating to the States soon. I was thinking about leaving in Feb. but haven't been able to save enough money. Now it looks like June or July.

I would like to have 10,000 cash. That may or may not sound like a lot to you, but it's what I would be comfortable with.

I will be 65 in a couple of months and I have been in Thailand for 10 years.

I grew up in New Mexico, lovely state, and spend most of my working life in San Diego. No way I can afford SD and not really interested in TJ.

I have been looking for most of this year and here's what interest me.

The Inland Empire of California. Victorville, Apple Valley, and even Hemit. I have lived in mobile homes / trailer parks before and don't see a downside. I can buy a used, older home for under 10,000. Space rent would be around 450 to 500 a month. Buy a used car just for going to the market and such.

I don't worry about taxes as my total income is just under 3,000 a month. Half of which is non taxable VA disability compensation.

I really enjoy reading what others have posted here. Thanks for sharing and I look forward to reading more on this thread.

J

• Like 1

Well I've waded through most all this and one cannot offer a completely knowledgeable opinion since it has never divulged how old is the OP and why he feels, after living long-time in Thailand why, a move back to the USA is in the cards. As the Medicaid option appears to be one of the key concerns, I would re-locate to one of the expanded Medicaid low cost of living states like Arkansas with a reasonable climate, and rent. Then I'd monitor the situation in some of the other states that may be more desirable but are still on the expanded waiting list and see when and if they change their policies.

Ditto here. Of all of the states that have expanded Medicaid, most are out for me due to cold or wet weather, or too hot and dry. Arkansas is the only state I see that ticks all of the boxes for the OP.

Go to Zillow.com and then to Arkansas and then punch up your criteria for housing including price range and see what's there. Try the same thing for Oregon where I live which I think is expensive. Zillow is a good way to see what's on the market in any area of the US.

• Like 1

6 pages and counting. I too am retreating to the States soon. I was thinking about leaving in Feb. but haven't been able to save enough money. Now it looks like June or July.

I would like to have 10,000 cash. That may or may not sound like a lot to you, but it's what I would be comfortable with.

I will be 65 in a couple of months and I have been in Thailand for 10 years.

I grew up in New Mexico, lovely state, and spend most of my working life in San Diego. No way I can afford SD and not really interested in TJ.

I have been looking for most of this year and here's what interest me.

The Inland Empire of California. Victorville, Apple Valley, and even Hemit. I have lived in mobile homes / trailer parks before and don't see a downside. I can buy a used, older home for under 10,000. Space rent would be around 450 to 500 a month. Buy a used car just for going to the market and such.

I don't worry about taxes as my total income is just under 3,000 a month. Half of which is non taxable VA disability compensation.

I really enjoy reading what others have posted here. Thanks for sharing and I look forward to reading more on this thread.

J

With 3k income per month I think you have a lot more choices than that. But a good example of how subjective these choices can be. Thanks for the sincere response. Edited by Jingthing

So in other words, this topic not about anyone specific re-locating to the USA but for anyone re-locating to the USA who is not approaching Medicare age, has a chronic but manageable medical condition, is reasonably indigent to the point that social security may one day be his only source of income, may upon arrival in the USA be dependent upon Medicaid for medical treatment, and likes warm weather and Vietnamese food. Other than that, just the general case.

Full marks for sarcasm.
  • Like 1

Jing, I can't help but think that you are committing the same error twice. You should figure out what you want to do and pick the best place to do that.

This could be;

1. Meet friendly strangers in bars for coupling.

2. Work in a specific industry.

3. Smoke pot with like-minded people and philosophize.

4. Adopt and raise a child.

5. Acquire wealth through judicious investment.

6. Run for office.

7. Lay on the beach and eat mangoes.

8. Take up an art.

Whatever these things are (it may be more than one thing), they should be something you can happily remember having done years from now. It's likely that the best place to do the things you want is in the United States, but it may not be. I think that if you can figure that out however it will at least exclude enough possibilities to clarify your choices. Thereafter, when you begin to move to pursue these things, you will be engaged when you arrive in your new home rather than restless and bored. I'm also quite sure that if you are in a location where your goals are accessible you will not mind if it's otherwise imperfect.

Edited by BudRight

Call it what you like (or already did) one of the key elements for me if I ever returned full-time to the USA would be to live in a state where I could light up a joint whenever I liked and not be worried about breaking the law. I lived in Colorado for 5 years in the 1980's and where recreational pot is now legal but my last winter there, when for several weeks it never rose above 0 degrees F (F -- not C), convinced me to move as soon as I could.

Florida had a 2014 ballot initiative to legalize marijuana that fell narrowly short and it will most likely be again on the 2016 ballot.

BTW when I said Arkansas which has expanded Medicaid I was not thinking of Little Rock but something just across the Mississippi River border from Memphis, TN, which is a far more happening place in a myriad of aspects.

You can now legally smoke 'em if you got 'em in both WA and OR with plenty of legal stores and edible as well as smokable options. Edited by SpokaneAl
  • Like 1

Call it what you like (or already did) one of the key elements for me if I ever returned full-time to the USA would be to live in a state where I could light up a joint whenever I liked and not be worried about breaking the law. I lived in Colorado for 5 years in the 1980's and where recreational pot is now legal but my last winter there, when for several weeks it never rose above 0 degrees F (F -- not C), convinced me to move as soon as I could.

Florida had a 2014 ballot initiative to legalize marijuana that fell narrowly short and it will most likely be again on the 2016 ballot.

BTW when I said Arkansas which has expanded Medicaid I was not thinking of Little Rock but something just across the Mississippi River border from Memphis, TN, which is a far more happening place in a myriad of aspects.

You can now legally smoke 'em if you got 'em in both WA and OR with plenty of legal stores and edible as well as smokable options.

True but I am a 30-year resident of Florida and just hope things work out before I would consider moving back. The marijuana legalization initiative on the 2014 Florida ballot need 60% of the vote and got 57% so I'll just be patient.

I don't know about WA or OR but Colorado is already advertising pot vacations:

https://www.coloradopotguide.com

Edited by JLCrab

Tend to agree that mobile home does not have to mean drug/children/red neck ghetto that OP seems to equate it to - but important to have mobility in case it becomes that way so you can move. In retirement areas expect that such living could be very pleasant and cost effective.

• Like 1

Tend to agree that mobile home does not have to mean drug/children/red neck ghetto that OP seems to equate it to - but important to have mobility in case it becomes that way so you can move. In retirement areas expect that such living could be very pleasant and cost effective.

I spent a number of years in Victorville, while stationed there during my Air Force days. That community took a bit of a pounding when the base closed. It would be worth evaluating that area's economic prospects prior to moving and/or buying there.

Edited by SpokaneAl

Again just across the border in Arkansas not in Tennessee. Toll-free bridge. large community of interest to the OP in Memphis TN.

For those not familiar with the geography, Memphis is an old-line Mississippi River town and Arkansas state is just on the other side of the river. West Memphis is in Arkansas. ... and again Memphis is, well, Memphis.

road_map_of_memphis_tn_usa.gif

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 1

I want to apologize for making disparaging comments about trailer living. I was just joking but I get the point. It's shelter and any shelter is to be respected over homelessness, and of course yes I know that "mobile" homes can be large, modern, and luxurious.

Memphis really does sound cool! I have only driven by it as I was in a rush to get somewhere else, but it really does seem to have a lot to offer.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/usa/memphis

I doubt I would have ever thought of West Memphis, AK, so in the event I do repatriate, and I do choose there, wow, that would be a big deal in my little old life.

I also like the idea of middle sized city that offers enough rather than a huge city. I would prefer the actual Memphis TN, but perhaps I could rent in Arkansas until age 65 and then buy in Tennessee if I like the area, or move somewhere else.

Edited by Jingthing

Obviously, what needs to happen is the various fleeing expats need to band together and form a former Thailand expats commune in the U.S.

Pick some warm location, get some Thai lady business entrepreneurs to open some som tam stands and massage shops, a few beer bars, and a local baht bus for transport for Jing... tongue.png And only ThEnglish spoken in public.

All the advantages of the U.S., and none of the disadvantages of Thailand. Except, could the various ex-expats manage to get along without everyone flaming out each other... Hmmm....

I like that idea very much. We could sit around in a pub drinking Leo or Chang talking about the girls we screwed and the ones that screwed us.

Can I be the mayor??? Who wants to be the police cheif??

Good post Tall guy

• Like 1

Yes well years ago I spent about two weeks in Portland (without a car) with a view for checking it out as a place to live and although of course I had a great time I didn't love it as much as I thought I would. It already seemed overpriced then. Nowadays, you can find many news stories saying the alternative types that moved there to live their creative living dreams are moving out in droves. Priced out basically. You know the old joke -- Portland, where the young go to retire! cheesy.gif

Anyway, I looked a bit into Phoenix and that was interesting.

It's a big city with a shocking number of days over 100 degrees F. But it's a DRY heat. Heh heh.

Also a high crime rate.

But food-wise it seems good to me. A number of Ethiopian and Vietnamese restaurants but the Chinese food sounds very weak.

But the most intriguing thing is the REAL ESTATE.

Based on superficial research it appears that 2 bedroom, 2 bath townhouse condos can be had for 60K USD and seeming rather central.

Owing such a condo would be a good economic thing for me in retirement. Having that second rentable room for example would be a useful thing to have.

Seems to much more of such low priced options than Albuquerque.

I do realize Phoenix has a lot of negatives and I might need to buy a gun! (Like my neighbors.)

Anyone here who has lived in Phoenix want to spill the refried beans on the joint? No haven't even been there. Only have driven through the state, not past Phoenix.

If you're thinking about Arizona, think about Prescott. Cost of living ok. Actually has seasons as it is at elevation. May be a bit to small to keep you from going stir crazy but Phoenix is about a 1 1/2 hour drive. How about around the KY, OH border region? Maybe Cincinnati, Lexington, Louisville. Not too far from DC and VA which I think you mentioned you had lived in previously.

Edited by lannarebirth

I want to apologize for making disparaging comments about trailer living. I was just joking but I get the point. It's shelter and any shelter is to be respected over homelessness, and of course yes I know that "mobile" homes can be large, modern, and luxurious.

Memphis really does sound cool! I have only driven by it as I was in a rush to get somewhere else, but it really does seem to have a lot to offer.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/usa/memphis

I doubt I would have ever thought of West Memphis, AK, so in the event I do repatriate, and I do choose there, wow, that would be a big deal in my little old life.

I also like the idea of middle sized city that offers enough rather than a huge city. I would prefer the actual Memphis TN, but perhaps I could rent in Arkansas until age 65 and then buy in Tennessee if I like the area, or move somewhere else.

OK but just to avoid any confusion AK is Alaska -- AR is Arkansas.

• Like 2

Oops. That would be a very misdirected letter.

Not trying to incite a political debate, but one thing about the U.S. system I don't get is why social security minimum claiming age is UNDER medicare age. Well I know the s.s. age changes with when you were born, but for me it's three years under.

With so many older people, such as 55 plus, being pushed out of careers and then many with dim prospects of finding work after that, that gap between S.S. age and Medicare age seems almost insidious.

As we all know there are millions of older Americans but still under 65 that are permanently out of the work force and haven't been counted in "unemployment" statistics for years. It's funny that baby boomers haven't made an issue about this.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

Look for several states to turn green next November. Looks like CA, NV and NY are VERY likely.

I think FL is only looking to pass medical pot but I dont think it is very hard to qualify for a card.

Edited by BKKSnowBird