The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa Topic (METV)

I am in the UK and have a UK passport. I went to get a METV last week. I took my documents into the consulate and had the visa stuck in my passport 20 minutes later. The lady there was really friendly and was a good experience. I had to pay an extra £10 for same day issue. She mentioned to me that she hasn't issued many METV as a lot of people can't show the employment letter.

Just an update on my arrival in BKK with my METV. I gave the immigration officer my passport and she took a while but stamped it with no questions. One thing I did notice is that she has wrote 1,2,3 on the bottom of the visa and stamped the date next to the number 1. I found that strange as it is not a triple entry visa, I thought the new METV meant we can come and go as many times as we please until the visa expires? Is that correct?

It is possible that the IO thought you have a triple entry tourist visa. I doubt all IO's are familiar with the METV yet. Regardless of what the IO has written, you can enter as many times as you want until the visa expires.

I think you are right on this they all do not know all about it.

But come and go as many times as you like is right.

My GF told me she had "multiple orgasms" one night. I asked her how many and she said "10". So, use that as a basis point :):) HA

i already have my METV and am in Chiang Mai. Can i do a border run to Mae Sai without any issues still??

can show air ticket, 20k+ cash and condo rental agree,emt if needed.

thanks all

Yes you can. You won't need an air ticket or rental agreement, but it's always worth carrying 20K in cash although it's highly unlikely you will be asked to show it.

• Like 1

Does anyone know what is required in terms of hotel bookings and flight tickets when applying for the METV?

I have a booked ticket to thailand and also can show ticket going out of Thailand before the first 60 days will be up. I also have hotel reservations booked for this period of time.

Will this be enough? Or do they require every flight ticket for the proposed 6 month duration going in and out of Thailand as well as hotel bookings for the whole time?

Personally I dont like to plan that far in advance!

I got a METV from the London Embassy in March without any hassle. I had proof of onward travel within 60 days (Flight to Penang) and proof of first months stay at hotel in Phuket. The girl at the counter made me get the full address of the hotel, all i had put was the name. So in my experience the answer is no, you don't need to show the whole 6 months duration, at least thats the case at the London embassy.

Hope this info helps, and good luck!

Did you do the letter from employer etc?

I'm self employed so took latest tax return which was fine, also took 6 months bank statements

Hello, All!

Allow me a follow up on a previous comment I posted here a while back reg. getting a Thai visa from Dubai, for US citizens. The consulate here, apart for not being able to issue a long stay visa, all other types of visas- including one month stay, which I was aiming at, are non- extendable once you entered Thailand. Meaning, you need to leave after one month regardless and apply for a new visa … I don’t recommend getting the visa from here unless you are going for strictly tourism or business. If I am not mistaken, these rules seem to apply only for applicants in the Middle East.

I may go back to the US to apply for a long stay visa or try from adjacent countries to Thailand

Best regards

Hello, All!

Allow me a follow up on a previous comment I posted here a while back reg. getting a Thai visa from Dubai, for US citizens. The consulate here, apart for not being able to issue a long stay visa, all other types of visas- including one month stay, which I was aiming at, are non- extendable once you entered Thailand. Meaning, you need to leave after one month regardless and apply for a new visa … I don’t recommend getting the visa from here unless you are going for strictly tourism or business. If I am not mistaken, these rules seem to apply only for applicants in the Middle East.

I may go back to the US to apply for a long stay visa or try from adjacent countries to Thailand

Best regards

What do you mean when you say "long stay visa"

I would help if you could say what you are seeking to achieve.

Hello, All!

Allow me a follow up on a previous comment I posted here a while back reg. getting a Thai visa from Dubai, for US citizens. The consulate here, apart for not being able to issue a long stay visa, all other types of visas- including one month stay, which I was aiming at, are non- extendable once you entered Thailand. Meaning, you need to leave after one month regardless and apply for a new visa I dont recommend getting the visa from here unless you are going for strictly tourism or business. If I am not mistaken, these rules seem to apply only for applicants in the Middle East.

Best regards

What do you mean when you say "long stay visa"

I would help if you could say what you are seeking to achieve.

Hi and thanks for the reply . I guess what I refer to is the Retirement Visa for applicants over the age of 50 year

There is no "Retirement Visa"

You can obtain a single entry "O" visa based on being 50+ from Vientiane or Penang. You will need evidence of having 800K Bht in a Thai bank or a certified monthly income of 65K Bht

Once you have the visa, during the last 30 days of the 90 the visa will provide, you can apply for an extension of stay(it is not a Visa) based on retirement. Again the financials must be met (With the 800 K having been in a Thai bank for at least two months prior to making the application if you choose that over the income method) The extension can be renewed yearly if requirements are met.

You may also like to check out the O/A visa which you could obtain but only in the states.

http://thaiembdc.org/consular-services/non-immigrant-visas/non-immigrant-category-o/

Many thanks for the informative reply email . In fact many of my friends refer to the O type visa erroneously as retirement visa, which is quite incorrect - apologies

You have mentioned relevant information about things can be done in Vietnam or Penang . Allow my to save this piece of Information for my own record- I am aware of the requirements for the O type visa

Best regards

Hello, All!

Regardless of which visa the Consulate issue they have no say in whether or not your permission to stay can be extended. No visa is extendable, and a visas job ends at the door. Once you have entered the country and been given permission to stay it can be extended if you qualify for, and can meet the requirements of, an extension of stay.

Edited by elviajero

I know the METV is new but has anyone tried applying for a second after their first has expired?

My friend is on one and has been leaving the country every 60 days. He doesn't work here. He has a small business in Melbourne that after 20 years he was able to get good staff for and management to run for him. He's probably wealthy by some standards (not at all by Australian standards) but by his own not enough to justify an Elite Visa so is on the METV.

He's going back to Melbourne in Sep/Oct for about 4-6 weeks but wants to come back here because he genuinely likes it and has made good friends but is unsure of whether a second METV after a 4-6 week break would be allowed. Any news?

I know the METV is new but has anyone tried applying for a second after their first has expired?

My friend is on one and has been leaving the country every 60 days. He doesn't work here. He has a small business in Melbourne that after 20 years he was able to get good staff for and management to run for him. He's probably wealthy by some standards (not at all by Australian standards) but by his own not enough to justify an Elite Visa so is on the METV.

He's going back to Melbourne in Sep/Oct for about 4-6 weeks but wants to come back here because he genuinely likes it and has made good friends but is unsure of whether a second METV after a 4-6 week break would be allowed. Any news?

I don't think it will be a problem to get another one especially if he applies in Melbourne. It should be no different than applying for a tourist visa with 2 or 3 entries before when people were getting several of them back to back.

My experience in Germany might give some relief- account statement showing 5000. € yes but only need the current not the past 6 month and no employment whatsoever letter needed. Need in and out as well as one additional out flight or travel confirmation and one hotel booking for some days but no time specified.

• Like 1

I don't think it will be a problem to get another one especially if he applies in Melbourne. It should be no different than applying for a tourist visa with 2 or 3 entries before when people were getting several of them back to back.

Thanks Ubonjoe. Lucky guy that he's from Melbourne it seems.

I am in the UK and have a UK passport. I went to get a METV last week. I took my documents into the consulate and had the visa stuck in my passport 20 minutes later. The lady there was really friendly and was a good experience. I had to pay an extra £10 for same day issue. She mentioned to me that she hasn't issued many METV as a lot of people can't show the employment letter.

Which consulate?

On behalf of my buddy he thanks you for assistance ubonjoe.

He was reading through this massive thread and came across the posts that suggested that it's actually possible to re-enter Thailand just before his METV expires and get another 2 months.

As he hasn't done this before he is a little cautious and I've never done it either so can't advise but you seem to know how things work well so is this generally a "sure" thing or is it "hit and miss" depending on the immigration officer at the airport?

Thanks in advance for any advice. Same goes for anyone else who has any knowledge/insight about these things.

Edited by tfc

quote ubonjoe:

I have seen nothing that states you cannot get the 30 day extension of an entry from it.

It's a multiple entry visa.

I am not sure, that you can extend it for 30 days, after your last entry.

As you can't extend other expired multiple visa for 30 days, right?

Yes, it's a assumption, but not a bad one, I guess!

Yes, you can extend the last current entry for 30 days. The visa and the entry [stamp] are two separate things. The entry stamp gives you the permission to stay, normally 60 days for tourist visa. So the admitted until date (permission to stay) can be extended for 30 days for 1900 baht at local immigration office, no questions asked.

A lot of confusion about visa vs visa exempt vs permission to stay vs extension of [permission to] stay exists, mainly because many visa service companies and users on the forum misuse the terminology, calling everything 'a visa' . This post might help you.

Thank you for the clever posting. As you wrote it down, I will suppose that cleares a lot of frustration with the unknown that nowadays would seem clear.

Very useful post.

• Like 1

I have tried to read most of the information in this topic, but I might have missed some. If that is the case I am the first to appologize.

Regarding visas and the rules that are applied to them, it is totally clear that everyone that holds a 1 year visa can stay for one year as long as they not fall into another factor that is giong to rewoke thier visa.

How ever that is not the valid point. That is if you are at the end of your visa, what is going to happen then?

Naturally you can as everyone else extend you stay with another 30 or 15 days depending on what country you come from. After that you can also extend another time out of the reason that this is allowed.

What you are going to loose is your possibility to renew your one year visa in Thailand, out of the reason that it´s already expired.

Maby I am right. Maby I am wrong, but that is how it has been working for me. Knowlegde out of experience always beat the way of thinking.

When the 2 parts of thinking and experience meet it´s a fusion that can lead to fantastic things.

Edited by Carson2311

I have tried to read most of the information in this topic, but I might have missed some. If that is the case I am the first to appologize.

Regarding visas and the rules that are applied to them, it is totally clear that everyone that holds a 1 year visa can stay for one year as long as they not fall into another factor that is giong to rewoke thier visa.

How ever that is not the valid point. That is if you are at the end of your visa, what is going to happen then?

Naturally you can as everyone else extend you stay with another 30 or 15 days depending on what country you come from. After that you can also extend another time out of the reason that this is allowed.

What you are going to loose is your possibility to renew your one year visa in Thailand, out of the reason that it´s already expired.

Maby I am right. Maby I am wrong, but that is how it has been working for me. Knowlegde out of experience always beat the way of thinking.

When the 2 parts of thinking and experience meet it´s a fusion that can lead to fantastic things.

Are you asking about something ?

This topic is about the METV which only provides multiple 60 day entries while the visa remains valid.

As far as I am aware there is only one visa that permits a one year stay and it is not the METV !

Perhaps you can clarify your point ?

Only a non-oa visa allows a stay of one year (other than an elite visa). A normal multiple entry non immigrant visa only allows unlimited 90 day entries for a year. Or are you actually writing about a one year extension of stay obtained at immigration?

On behalf of my buddy he thanks you for assistance ubonjoe.

He was reading through this massive thread and came across the posts that suggested that it's actually possible to re-enter Thailand just before his METV expires and get another 2 months.

As he hasn't done this before he is a little cautious and I've never done it either so can't advise but you seem to know how things work well so is this generally a "sure" thing or is it "hit and miss" depending on the immigration officer at the airport?

Thanks in advance for any advice. Same goes for anyone else who has any knowledge/insight about these things.

As long as an entry is done on or before the enter before date on the visa a new 60 day entry will be given. It is routinely done. No if and or maybes. He could also do a 30 day extension of that entry that would make the total stay from the visa almost 9 months.

Thanks again Ubonjoe, you're very helpful.

• Like 2

Just an update on my arrival in BKK with my METV. I gave the immigration officer my passport and she took a while but stamped it with no questions. One thing I did notice is that she has wrote 1,2,3 on the bottom of the visa and stamped the date next to the number 1. I found that strange as it is not a triple entry visa, I thought the new METV meant we can come and go as many times as we please until the visa expires? Is that correct?

It sounds very like the immigration officer has confused the old triple-entry tourist visa (which ceased being issued months ago) with the replacement, the METV which you have. Perhaps she missed the training session.

I would keep a careful eye on this as this IO has now created a confusion for all your subsequent entries (which are unlimited in number until expiry of the visa).

Sounds perfect for a METV!

Yeah, but getting married next month. And then I can apply for a non immigrant o visa based on marriage. Can apply for a 1 year multi entry at my local embassy for the same price as the METV. And about the same requirements also.

Thats a better deal right? biggrin.png

You can apply for the multiple entry non-o visa at Savannakhet Laos as soon as you get married. No financial proof will be needed. The visa will cost 5000 baht verses a bad exchange rate at you home country embassy or consulate.

Yes a better deal because the visa is valid for one year and can be stretched to 15 months of total stay. Just get a single entry tourist visa to avoid problems on entry,

Arrived BKK this morning, the IO just asked me a few questions.

1: About my address, he thought maybe it was a hotel but I answered no, its an apartment building.

2: How long you stay, I said 3 weeks.

3: Looking through my passport took a little time, because of my many stamps. No visa this time? No visa this time I replied. And then he stamped me in smile.png

Sounds perfect for a METV!

Yeah, but getting married next month. And then I can apply for a non immigrant o visa based on marriage. Can apply for a 1 year multi entry at my local embassy for the same price as the METV. And about the same requirements also.

Thats a better deal right? biggrin.png

You can apply for the multiple entry non-o visa at Savannakhet Laos as soon as you get married. No financial proof will be needed. The visa will cost 5000 baht verses a bad exchange rate at you home country embassy or consulate.

Yes a better deal because the visa is valid for one year and can be stretched to 15 months of total stay. Just get a single entry tourist visa to avoid problems on entry,

Arrived BKK this morning, the IO just asked me a few questions.

1: About my address, he thought maybe it was a hotel but I answered no, its an apartment building.

2: How long you stay, I said 3 weeks.

3: Looking through my passport took a little time, because of my many stamps. No visa this time? No visa this time I replied. And then he stamped me in smile.png

Very intresting! Now all the torist know how to get in to Thailand.

• Like 1

I have many previous entries on Visa Exemption, my last one was in July last year. After that I have had one regular tourist visa with one re-entry. And now I`m near the end of my first METV.

Would it be safe for me to arrive next time on a Visa Exemption?

But after my next trip then I will be able apply for a non immigrant o multi entry at my local embassy.

Well, I guess I should have quoted this then Mr Carson.... Or you could take a step back and read here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/870548-the-multiple-entry-tourist-visa-topic-metv/page-60#entry10721534

I have a METV which states entry before 7th June

Am I correct to assume that they would not allow my final entry on 7th June?

What will happen if I do arrive on 7th June. Given I have a number of visa exempt entries before I got the 6 month METV, will I have problems gaining a visa exempt entry?

I am then planning to return to home country to obtain another METV. Will I have problems gaining a second METV shortly after expiry of the last one.

I am working in SE Asia and visit Thailand regularly at weekends for leisure (not work) purposes and can meet the criteria for METV application for finances, employment letters etc

I have a METV which states entry before 7th June

Am I correct to assume that they would not allow my final entry on 7th June?

What will happen if I do arrive on 7th June. Given I have a number of visa exempt entries before I got the 6 month METV, will I have problems gaining a visa exempt entry?

I am then planning to return to home country to obtain another METV. Will I have problems gaining a second METV shortly after expiry of the last one.

I am working in SE Asia and visit Thailand regularly at weekends for leisure (not work) purposes and can meet the criteria for METV application for finances, employment letters etc

If you enter on or before the "enter before date" there will be no problem.

I have no idea about what your countries Thai Embassy/Consulates position is on issuing serial METV's. Best you contact them and ask.