The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa Topic (METV)

The previous Thai woman was put off by farangs, During the farang time in the morning she made lots of time for Thais and didn't want to help farangs. The current Thai guy is courteous. Bernard, the farang, is very nice.

the guy at the starter desk was Very Pleasant, also

The previous Thai woman was put off by farangs, During the farang time in the morning she made lots of time for Thais and didn't want to help farangs. The current Thai guy is courteous. Bernard, the farang, is very nice.

She was you are right, but in the afternoon she seemed nicer.

Also, she was hot! :)

Hello all, newbie here Im afraid with all of the innane questions that go with that so apologies in advance. Im sure the same questiosn get asked over and over but having spent 20 minutes looking through posts cant find the best anwers. so:

I am having a year off from mid/end of May and will be heading to Thailand as a first stop I would anticipate staying in south east asia for at least 6 months (maybe more or maybe less) but would intend of visiting Cambodia and Vietnam in that time but with Thailand being my base. So having looked at the METV it would seem that this may be the best option apart from the fact that I dont really want to book a return flight out of Thailand as i have no idea when this will be or where i will be heading. Also having sold my business last year and now being unemployed i dont fullfill the employed criteria but I guess I can use last years SA form but will need to check with consulate?

Ive not been for almost 20 yaers and am fully aware that the visa situation is diferent now but with the SETV can I just get a 30 day extension to the 60 visa, then after 90 days if I travel to say Vietnam for a fortnight can I then reapply for another SETV, if this is the case how often can this be done.

Appreciate your thoughts on the best option for me.

Cheers

Dean

Hello all, newbie here Im afraid with all of the innane questions that go with that so apologies in advance. Im sure the same questiosn get asked over and over but having spent 20 minutes looking through posts cant find the best anwers. so:

I am having a year off from mid/end of May and will be heading to Thailand as a first stop I would anticipate staying in south east asia for at least 6 months (maybe more or maybe less) but would intend of visiting Cambodia and Vietnam in that time but with Thailand being my base. So having looked at the METV it would seem that this may be the best option apart from the fact that I dont really want to book a return flight out of Thailand as i have no idea when this will be or where i will be heading. Also having sold my business last year and now being unemployed i dont fullfill the employed criteria but I guess I can use last years SA form but will need to check with consulate?

Ive not been for almost 20 yaers and am fully aware that the visa situation is diferent now but with the SETV can I just get a 30 day extension to the 60 visa, then after 90 days if I travel to say Vietnam for a fortnight can I then reapply for another SETV, if this is the case how often can this be done.

Cheers

Dean

• If you don't qualify for the METV you should be able to use a few SETV's or a combination of SETV's and Visa Exempt Entries (if you are from a nation that qualifies).
  • There is no overall limit to the number of SETVs you can have but individual embassies/consulates will limit the number they will issue back to back to the same person. But that shouldn't be an issue in your case.
  • All 60 day entries granted with a SETV can be extended by 30 days as can 15/30 day Visa Exempt Entries. All extensions are 1,900 baht.
Edited by elviajero

Cheers

Dean

• If you don't qualify for the METV you should be able to use a few SETV's or a combination of SETV's and Visa Exempt Entries (if you are from a nation that qualifies).
  • There is no overall limit to the number of SETVs you can have but individual embassies/consulates will limit the number they will issue back to back to the same person. But that shouldn't be an issue in your case.
  • All 60 day entries granted with a SETV can be extended by 30 days as can 15/30 day Visa Exempt Entries. All extensions are 1,900 baht.

Thanks thats helpful and pretty much what I though. Im from the UK (British passport), I may well qualify for METV but it just seemed a pain having to show exit flights and also not sure about the work situation as last SA is for April 2015., so the SETV may well be best on the basis I can extend for 30 days and would only likley need to apply for another one or two at max. I assume If i travel to say Cambodia and can apply for them from there?

Cheers

Thanks thats helpful and pretty much what I though. Im from the UK (British passport), I may well qualify for METV but it just seemed a pain having to show exit flights and also not sure about the work situation as last SA is for April 2015., so the SETV may well be best on the basis I can extend for 30 days and would only likley need to apply for another one or two at max. I assume If i travel to say Cambodia and can apply for them from there?

Cheers

• If you apply for the METV at the London Embassy they are only asking for a flight to Thailand (no return). And if you are self employed the last years SA should be good enough.
  • Yes you can apply for a SETV in Cambodia and other neighbouring countries.
  • As a Brit you qualify for 30 day visa exempt entry by land or air.

Cheers

If in the UK you might want to check with one of the consulates (not Hull). There are reports that they are more flexible tor issuing the METV than the embassy. I received info from a member that got one with nothing more than the application and the fee.

Cheers

If in the UK you might want to check with one of the consulates (not Hull). There are reports that they are more flexible tor issuing the METV than the embassy. I received info from a member that got one with nothing more than the application and the fee.

Hi Ubonjoe - do you remember which consulate he got his from? I thought Hull or London were the only places to get them, but admittedly I know very little about it.

Cheers

Hi Ubonjoe - do you remember which consulate he got his from? I thought Hull or London were the only places to get them, but admittedly I know very little about it.

There are five honorary consulates in the UK. See: http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/179

I was asked not to mention which consulate it was for fear the info would get back to the embassy. Just call some of them and ask.

Cheers

There are five honorary consulates in the UK. See: http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/179

I was asked not to mention which consulate it was for fear the info would get back to the embassy. Just call some of them and ask.

That's fair enough. Is there a reason why you suggested not to contact Hull?

Hull has gotten difficult the past couple of years since the got into trouble for being to easy.

Ah that's interesting. I live in Newcastle and that was going to by my choice as it is probably the easiest to go to but maybe I will have a re-think now.

Do you by any chance know if residents from outside Scotland can apply for a Thai visa in Glasgow? Being from Newcastle, this is probably easier for me to get to than Liverpool or Birmingham but the header of their website says 'VISA application for Scottish Visitors to Thailand'.

Do you by any chance know if residents from outside Scotland can apply for a Thai visa in Glasgow? Being from Newcastle, this is probably easier for me to get to than Liverpool or Birmingham but the header of their website says 'VISA application for Scottish Visitors to Thailand'.

I am sure the will do a visa for you. From the homepage of their website. http://www.thaiconsulscotland.org.uk/

"We are here to help persons, of any nationality, wishing to visit Thailand with information about visa requirements and to issue visas to those who require them."

There is no reason why the Glasgow office would not help you in fact their Home page on the website says "We are here to help persons, of any nationality, wishing to visit Thailand with information about visa requirements and to issue visas to those who require them"

http://www.thaiconsulscotland.org.uk/

There is no reason why the Glasgow office would not help you in fact their Home page on the website says "We are here to help persons, of any nationality, wishing to visit Thailand with information about visa requirements and to issue visas to those who require them"

http://www.thaiconsulscotland.org.uk/

I thought so - but wasn't sure it would be the same for the METV as you need to apply from your own country. Having a UK passport will surely be what they require - it was just the ''VISA application for Scottish Visitors to Thailand' as the page title for the visa section that threw me off!

Thanks for your comments

I will be in Thailand 14 June to 11 August (59 days) then again 2 Nov to 19 Jan (78 days). Can I easily do both of those on one METV ? Or would it be better to do one SETV and one METV?

You could do either.

As long as you don't buy the METV more than 6 months before Nov 2nd (May 3rd) you could do it. You will need to get an extension of stay to cover the last 18 days.

Thanks for your generous help. But please be careful when you say "months". I was fined for an overstay because I thought my visa and extension was good for 3 months. The "enter before " date is 180 days after the date of issue not 6 months.

He is correct. A visas validity is in months not days. You are confusing the permit to stay you get on entry which is in days with visa validity.

-----------------------------

You must be careful and read the date on your visa when you receive it.

Some Thai tourist visas issued in Laos are good for a "must enter before date" of only 90 days from date of issue

So don't assume.....check first.

Arent English and Scottish people both the same when it comes to passports and Visas?

Unless they recently got independence, Scotland is part of the United Kingdom

Arent English and Scottish people both the same when it comes to passports and Visas?

Don't show your ignorance.

• Like 1

You are going to have to explain,

Maybe I misunderstood the question .

Was he asking whether English people can get an METV from Scotland ?

And dont Engliah and Scots both have the same passports ?

You are going to have to explain,

Maybe I misunderstood the question .

Was he asking whether English people can get an METV from Scotland ?

And dont Engliah and Scots both have the same passports ?

Yes we do (as does Wales & Northern Island) and you can bet that there would be an uproar if the London Embassy put "VISA application for English Visitors to Thailand" but it's just one of the idiosyncrasies of being from the "United" Kingdom.

End of the day should be ok to apply in Glasgow if holding a UK passport.

Edited by JB300

Clearly failed logic 101

Maybe so but they just announced the new rules and regulations last week and already you want them to do something different.

I am not alone in thinking that these requirements are antiquaited and just plain crazy. Time will tell if they relax some of the requirements. Such as job etc. Even funds in a bank is just silly. In meantime thaivisa is a forum to discuss. Sadly many threads have become crazy with nasty posts. Such as send all the dn home etc.

i personally live here on non o so does not effect me. However i believe this metv is not have much common sense. As a result i find it hard to profile a target group it suits

The METV is so absurd that I wonder if it was some kind of 'ASEAN' requirement for member countries to offer a multiple entry tourist visa. But the Thais dont want it so have deliberately made it so impractical and inconvenient that very few will apply for it.

Clearly failed logic 101

Maybe so but they just announced the new rules and regulations last week and already you want them to do something different.

I am not alone in thinking that these requirements are antiquaited and just plain crazy. Time will tell if they relax some of the requirements. Such as job etc. Even funds in a bank is just silly. In meantime thaivisa is a forum to discuss. Sadly many threads have become crazy with nasty posts. Such as send all the dn home etc.

i personally live here on non o so does not effect me. However i believe this metv is not have much common sense. As a result i find it hard to profile a target group it suits

The METV is so absurd that I wonder if it was some kind of 'ASEAN' requirement for member countries to offer a multiple entry tourist visa. But the Thais dont want it so have deliberately made it so impractical and inconvenient that very few will apply for it.

Do all member countries of 'ASEAN' offer an METV ? (If so please provide details and links)

Or is it lack of knowledge causing you to post nonsense ?

Do all member countries of 'ASEAN' offer an METV ? (If so please provide details and links)

For the benefit of those who like to be accurate in their statements, I take the opportunity to define a couple of terms:

• ASEAN = Association of South East Asian Nations. This was established in 1967 (nearly 50 years ago). It was preceded by an earlier grouping the ASA = Association of Southeast Asia. ASEAN's original declaration did include some vague economic goals, such as to promote economic growth. However, for decades, few practical steps were taken to foster economic integration.
  • AFTA = ASEAN Free Trade Area. This, starting in 1992, mainly reduced customs tariffs between ASEAN member states.
  • AEC = ASEAN Economic Community. In theory, it aims to allow the free flow of goods, services, investments, and skilled labor, and the freer movement of capital across the region. Although the agreement has been recently signed, the AEC is mainly aspirational at this time. Skeptics might wonder if a country like Thailand will ever follow through on commitments to open up its economy in this way.
  • RCEP = Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership. This is potentially highly significant. It aims to negotiate a comprehensive free trade agreement between ASEAN and other major Asian nations, including Australia, Japan, South Korea, India and China.

I think the term 'ASEAN' in the quoted posts is probably intended to mean the 'AEC'. Given the embryonic nature of that grouping, I think it premature to expect harmonization of visa policies between the members at this time.

• Like 1

Sorry but this is utter nosense. It is a Thai policy and really, perfectly in keeping with the current government's stated desire to "clean up" their image and only appeal to certain types of tourists. Hugely inconvenient for many of us, but there you have it. This is what they want to do with their country.

For the benefit of those who like to be accurate in their statements, I take the opportunity to define a couple of terms:

• ASEAN = Association of South East Asian Nations. This was established in 1967 (nearly 50 years ago). It was preceded by an earlier grouping the ASA = Association of Southeast Asia. ASEAN's original declaration did include some vague economic goals, such as to promote economic growth. However, for decades, few practical steps were taken to foster economic integration.
  • AFTA = ASEAN Free Trade Area. This, starting in 1992, mainly reduced customs tariffs between ASEAN member states.
  • AEC = ASEAN Economic Community. In theory, it aims to allow the free flow of goods, services, investments, and skilled labor, and the freer movement of capital across the region. Although the agreement has been recently signed, the AEC is mainly aspirational at this time. Skeptics might wonder if a country like Thailand will ever follow through on commitments to open up its economy in this way.
  • RCEP = Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership. This is potentially highly significant. It aims to negotiate a comprehensive free trade agreement between ASEAN and other major Asian nations, including Australia, Japan, South Korea, India and China.

I think the term 'ASEAN' in the quoted posts is probably intended to mean the 'AEC'. Given the embryonic nature of that grouping, I think it premature to expect harmonization of visa policies between the members at this time.

Thanks for the info.

My sister wanted me to change my travel dates so i would be in the US for Thanksgiving after I have missed it for many years. So I think I can still do both trips on one METV but I would like someone more knowledgeable to check my calculations. Thanks. Am an American in Los Angeles.

My travel dates are: Arrive June 14 and leave August 11 (a stay of 59 days) and then Arrive November 29 and Leave 10 February (a stay of 74 days).

I will apply for the visa on June 2

So I must enter the Kingdom by December 2

So I will have 60 days starting November 29

I have to apply for a 30 extension before January 27

Between December 2 and December 12 I can not leave without obtaining a re-entry permit

If I leave after December 12, I can get a 30 day visa exempt then a 30 extension

Are these calculations right?

If I obtain a re-entry permit between December 2 and December 12 what does that do for me? Do I get another 60 days?

Visa exempt for the first entry could be cheaper along with a SETV for the second. IMO

If I obtain a re-entry permit between December 2 and December 12 what does that do for me? Do I get another 60 days?

Visa would have expired so you can't get a re-entry permit on it. Get a visa exempt which is 30 days and extend for another 30. Note that you may have to provide tickets out within 30 days on visa exempt entries. Thread somewhere on the cheapest throw away tickets but that would of off topic.

Point being, you likely don't need a METV.

Edited by notmyself