The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa Topic (METV)

My sister wanted me to change my travel dates so i would be in the US for Thanksgiving after I have missed it for many years. So I think I can still do both trips on one METV but I would like someone more knowledgeable to check my calculations. Thanks. Am an American in Los Angeles.

My travel dates are: Arrive June 14 and leave August 11 (a stay of 59 days) and then Arrive November 29 and Leave 10 February (a stay of 74 days).

I will apply for the visa on June 2

So I must enter the Kingdom by December 2

So I will have 60 days starting November 29

I have to apply for a 30 extension before January 27

Between December 2 and December 12 I can not leave without obtaining a re-entry permit

If I leave after December 12, I can get a 30 day visa exempt then a 30 extension

Are these calculations right?

If I obtain a re-entry permit between December 2 and December 12 what does that do for me? Do I get another 60 days?

If you get a re-entry permit you would get the remainder of your 60 day entry when you enter the country that you could then extend for 30 days.

If do not get a re-entry permit and planed on getting a visa exempt entry you might need an onward ticket to board your flight back to here.

Visa exempt for the first entry could be cheaper along with a SETV for the second. IMO

If I obtain a re-entry permit between December 2 and December 12 what does that do for me? Do I get another 60 days?

Visa would have expired so you can't get a re-entry permit on it. Get a visa exempt which is 30 days and extend for another 30. Note that you may have to provide tickets out within 30 days on visa exempt entries. Thread somewhere on the cheapest throw away tickets but that would of off topic.

Point being, you likely don't need a METV.

Wrong info.

A re-entry permit is issued for a permit to stay. The visas validity has nothing to do with getting re-entry permit and using it.

A re-entry permit is issued for a permit to stay. The visas validity has nothing to do with getting re-entry permit and using it.

I assumed...

Between December 2 and December 12 I can not leave without obtaining a re-entry permit

... had some intrinsic meaning with regard to dates.

I assumed...

... had some intrinsic meaning with regard to dates.

I was replying to this comment in your post. "Visa would have expired so you can't get a re-entry permit on it." .

Ubonjoe

So during the second trip I can leave anytime as long as I get a re-entry permit?

You can leave at anytime as long as you do it before your current admitted until date on the entry stamp in your passport. The re-entry permit would keep that admitted until date valid when you enter the country.

Ubonjoe

Sorry for all the emails. I think I understand now..

ON the first trip, I can leave and return as many times as i want.

On the second trip, If I leave before Jan 14 I would need to get a re-entry permit to return. If I leave after Jan 14 I could return on a visa exempt.

Correct?

Ubonjoe

Sorry for all the emails. I think I understand now..

ON the first trip, I can leave and return as many times as i want.

On the second trip, If I leave before Jan 14 I would need to get a re-entry permit to return. If I leave after Jan 14 I could return on a visa exempt.

Correct?

If you leave prior to January 14th you might need another ticket to board your flight back to the country unless you have a re-entry permit.

So I couldn't leave after December 2 the admitted until date that will be stamped on my passport?

Sounds Like I should get separate visas for the 2 trips.

You can always leave. But if you leave and re-enter the country after December 2nd you would only get a 30 day visa exempt entry if you don't get a re-entry permit.

Still a bit confused.

I am able to get a re-entry permit after Dec 2 even though the admitted until date has passed?

The reentry permit is attached to your permission to stay. It has nothing to do with your visa. So, if you have a permission to stay until date that you wish to protect during a trip outside Thailand, you use a reentry permit.

Still a bit confused.

I am able to get a re-entry permit after Dec 2 even though the admitted until date has passed?

You seem to be confusing the visas 'enter before' date (expiry) and the 'admitted until' date (permission to stay).

Your last 60 day permission to stay can be kept alive with a re-entry permit even though your visa has expired.

You will have several options when making your side trip and it's better to wait until you have definite dates before seeking advice.

Still a bit confused.

The reentry permit is attached to your permission to stay. It has nothing to do with your visa. So, if you have a permission to stay until date that you wish to protect during a trip outside Thailand, you use a reentry permit.

I think I have it now.

If I enter on Nov 29 I would get a 60 day permission to stay which would expire on Jan 27. So I could leave during that time and return with a re-entry permit. That would continue my 60 days. If I leave after Jan 27 I would return on a visa exempt. Correct?

Still a bit confused.

I think I have it now.

If I enter on Nov 29 I would get a 60 day permission to stay which would expire on Jan 27. So I could leave during that time and return with a re-entry permit. That would continue my 60 days. If I leave after Jan 27 I would return on a visa exempt. Correct?

Yes

You could also get a 30 day extension of that 60 day entry also if you wanted to stay longer than January 27th.

I think I have it now.

Yes.

But if you leave after Jan 12 there is no point paying 1,000 baht for a re-entry permit as you will get 30 days for free on re-entry.

Hey guys - what's the latest on "the" honorary consulate that takes a lenient line when it comes to employment and home country application requirements? I've got the money, just taking some time off from work and the consulate in my home country is adamant that they need cert of employment. Was willing to fly down under, but it seems Melbourne/Perth would only issue SETV in spite of the initial reports of giving some Brits the METV sticker. (I am from EU) Can PM me if that's more appropriate. Thanks!

Hey guys - what's the latest on "the" honorary consulate that takes a lenient line when it comes to employment and home country application requirements? I've got the money, just taking some time off from work and the consulate in my home country is adamant that they need cert of employment. Was willing to fly down under, but it seems Melbourne/Perth would only issue SETV in spite of the initial reports of giving some Brits the METV sticker. (I am from EU) Can PM me if that's more appropriate. Thanks!

Unless you are planning multiple visits there is no need to get a METV. Just get a SETV before travelling and apply for more SETV's from Thai Embassies/Consulates as required. Even with a METV you have to exit the country every 60/90 days and getting a new SETV usually only requires a 1 night stay in a neighbouring country.

Got my METV from Canberra Royal Thai embassy this week, provided a current $8k account statement and a hand written statement from me saying what date my 2nd entry would be as requested

Edited by Jdiddy

- Copy of 6 month bank statement with a minimum balance of 600 Euros (Single Entry Tourist Visa) or 6,000 Euros (for the Multiple Entry Tourist Visa)

-1 Visa application form filled in completely and signed

- If you are unemployed a proof of income (document from unemployment benefit,pension or copy of your latest bank statement, etc.)

This is what is quoted at the website from the embassy in Belgium, I assume others do not much differ from that statement. What does make me confused a bit is what exactly the "6 month bank statement" means, are they happy with the 6 last bank statements showing a balance over the required 6000 Eu (all 6 of course), and then what does "or copy of your latest bank statement, etc." exactly means. Why should you keep a balance of 6000 Eu in a bank account if you get pension or other benefits on a monthly basis anyway.

I guess at the end it only helps if you check with your own embassy if the requirements are similar, and if in doubt let them confirm. Would be a shame to pay bloody 150 for a METV, and maybe just end up with a SETV, or none. As for the required flight tickets, I always book a pretty expensive one on Thai, with I can move then back and forward without fees, and finaly do cancel it for 2000 bath.

Was also thinking of making monthly wirements from one account to another, 3000/month, but I guess they're not too much impressed if both accounts hold my name.

I have a question...I am australian and we need proof of 8000 in the bank to get a metv but i am wondering if you have that once you are granted the metv and arrive in thailand are you allowed to use some of that savings or does that account have to stay at 8000?. I am told you have to leave every 60 days so when you come back in will your monetary status be checked again?

I have a question...I am australian and we need proof of 8000 in the bank to get a metv but i am wondering if you have that once you are granted the metv and arrive in thailand are you allowed to use some of that savings or does that account have to stay at 8000?. I am told you have to leave every 60 days so when you come back in will your monetary status be checked again?

Once you have been issued with the METV you can do anything with the money. It is only needed to get the visa and will not be checked again.

The only financial requirement is to have 20K in cash on entry to the country, but this is rarely asked for.

Anyone have experience getting the METV from London? I can provide everything except the employment documents. I am retired but not yet 50 years old. Anyone had any success getting it?

It has been reliably reported that it is better to apply through one of the honorary consulates (but not Hull which is heavily monitored after they were considered too lax in the past).

Anyone have experience getting the METV from London? I can provide everything except the employment documents. I am retired but not yet 50 years old. Anyone had any success getting it?

Do you have any documentary evidence of being 'retired' ?

You might be better advised to apply via one of the Hon.Thai Consults (Not Hull ! )

If you can prove you are retired there is a good chance they will issue the visa.

Do you file tax documents? If you are retired I assume they would reflect such.