The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa Topic (METV)

I am British and can supply the necessary documents for an METV application in London. Howevever, my wife is from a non-EU country and cannot show any job in the UK (she is currently working on a short-term contract in Indonesia but isn't from ASEAN) and does not have a UK bank account. I am wondering if the Thai embassy would let both us apply for an METV with perhaps a marriage certificate (translated into English as we weren't married in the UK)?

17 hours ago, dastott said:

I am British and can supply the necessary documents for an METV application in London. Howevever, my wife is from a non-EU country and cannot show any job in the UK (she is currently working on a short-term contract in Indonesia but isn't from ASEAN) and does not have a UK bank account. I am wondering if the Thai embassy would let both us apply for an METV with perhaps a marriage certificate (translated into English as we weren't married in the UK)?

I have never seen any report of any similar situation being allowed and so I expect your wife's application would be denied. The only way to know would be to ask. Is your wife a UK resident (e.g. ILR holder)? This would be a requirement.

METV applications can also be made at the various UK consulates who might be more approachable.

17 hours ago, dastott said:

The chances that the embassy would issue someone an METV based purely on the fact that they are married to someone who as an METV is essentially zero. Even if substantial, continuing bank balances could be shown, she would not get an METV in the UK without being a UK resident.

Years ago (and still theoretically on the books, but never now allowed) there was a Non O visa category "visit family and friends". It was referred to as a social visa, and would have been appropriate in your case. It was widely abused, and was discontinued in the first crackdown on Thai visa abuse.

If we knew your wife's nationality, any other countries where she is a legal resident, and whether she in her own right can meet the financial requirements for an METV, we might be able to provide advice on the best way forward.

Thanks, I was fearing that was the case. She is Japanese and can meet all the financial requirements on her own but has never lived in the UK. She can probably apply from Japan but I would have to apply from the U.K. 

Edited by dastott

3 hours ago, dastott said:

Thanks, I was fearing that was the case. She is Japanese and can meet all the financial requirements on her own but has never lived in the UK. She can probably apply from Japan but I would have to apply from the U.K. 

I think that is right. I am assuming she does not have legal residence in any other country. Perhaps, trips to home country (UK in your case, Japan in hers) can be combined with visiting family and friends making it less onerous.

34 minutes ago, dastott said:

Thanks. She won't have legal residence in another country by the time we go to Thailand. Of course, the METV starts from the day of issue (?) making it rather complicated for us.

Indeed! Visa formalities can sometimes be a real bore.

Maybe one way of working it would be for her to get a single entry visa from the UK at the same time you get your METV, and you could arrange her METV from Japan at the end of your first entry to Thailand.

Nothing is going to be ideal. Good lick.

Edited by BritTim
  • Like 1

I am a 49 yo man married to a Thai national. Last year I found an agent in Laos who obtained a 1 year Non-imm O ME. I need ME because I work around Asia (never Thailand) but mostly China and travel in amd out of the country frequently. This year I went to contact him again and can only assume that with the visa changes in Laos that he has ceased to operate. My Visa expired 21st January and I returned to Thailand on 25th on VoE 30 days.

I was advised by a guy that I met yesterday that it is possible to get a METV 60 days or a Non-imm O ME 90 days at the Cambodia border without staying over night in Cambodia.

Can anyone confirm this and / or recommend the best border point to do this. We currently live in Pattaya.

49 minutes ago, Bartman1369 said:

I am a 49 yo man married to a Thai national. Last year I found an agent in Laos who obtained a 1 year Non-imm O ME. I need ME because I work around Asia (never Thailand) but mostly China and travel in amd out of the country frequently. This year I went to contact him again and can only assume that with the visa changes in Laos that he has ceased to operate. My Visa expired 21st January and I returned to Thailand on 25th on VoE 30 days.

I was advised by a guy that I met yesterday that it is possible to get a METV 60 days or a Non-imm O ME 90 days at the Cambodia border without staying over night in Cambodia.

Can anyone confirm this and / or recommend the best border point to do this. We currently live in Pattaya.

You can get a 1-year Non-O-ME in Savannakhet Laos or HCMC Vietnam w/o financials, or in Penang with financials.  You do not need an agent in Laos - they may not even allow an agent to help (i.e. "ceased to operate"), but agents are reported to be helpful in Penang.  See this thread for how it works in Savannakhet:

... it's a long-running thread, but nothing of substance has changed since the first posts.  No need for an agent at all - it's simple.

All you would get from an "out/in" run to Cambodia is a 30-day Visa-Exempt entry - and only if you do NOT use the Poipet/Aranyaprathet crossing. 

An METV is only available from a Thai-Consulate in your passport-country.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

Hi.

This is my first post. Have a couple of questions regarding the METV visa.

I will be purchasing a flight ticket to Thailand in a few days:

Arriving:    April 11, 2019.

Departing: December 27, 2019.

During this trip, I will spend 29 days in Cambodia.

Topic: Will the METV Visa + Visa Extensions cover my entire stay.

Will submit METV visa application on April 3rd.

I will get the passport returned on on April 4th, 2019 from the New York Thai Consulate.

From what I have read on this forum, my Visa stamp should state as:

Valid From: 4 April 2019 Valid until 4 Oct 2019.

Going to Cambodia September 2nd 2019 returning September 30, 2019

Since I am returning 4 days prior to “Valid Until date” of Oct 4th 2019,

I should get a new 60 day stamp in my passport starting on September 30th correct?

If yes:

Then September 30 thru November 28 (60 days).

November  29 thru December 27 (29 days) 30 day extension at Jomtien

METV Visa + Visa extensions should cover my Departure Date of December 27th 2019.

Jerry.

35 minutes ago, jerry10 said:

METV Visa + Visa extensions should cover my Departure Date of December 27th 2019.

Yes if you do everything on the dates you wrote.

But if planning pm making a flight reservation for that day it might best to make it few days early in case of a glitch doing one of the entries.

4 hours ago, jerry10 said:

Will submit METV visa application on April 3rd.

I will get the passport returned on on April 4th, 2019 from the New York Thai Consulate.

From what I have read on this forum, my Visa stamp should state as:

Valid From: 4 April 2019 Valid until 4 Oct 2019.

If issued on April 4th it will be valid until October 3rd. 

Going to Cambodia September 2nd 2019 returning September 30, 2019

Since I am returning 4 days prior to “Valid Until date” of Oct 4th 2019,

I should get a new 60 day stamp in my passport starting on September 30th correct?

You will get 60 days as long as you enter on or before the “valid until date” (Oct 3rd).

If yes:

Then September 30 thru November 28 (60 days).

November  29 thru December 27 (29 days) 30 day extension at Jomtien

Yes. Day 30 of the extension would be December 28th. 

Thanks all for the reply and advice.  

A couple of quick follow-ups,

The U.S. airline I will fly may have difficulty understanding the longevity of the METV visa extension. I can show 6 month stay with the “Valid until date”.

(Q) Is there a document (to print) explaining how the METV visa can be extended, in case I am questioned at checkin.

I know the METV visa has been issued to the public for a few years now.

In this climate of uncertainty with the IO rules recently, I'm worried they may just refuse giving a new 60 day stamp, 4 days or less prior to expiration date. Or maybe 8 months in Thailand is a red flag now using a Tourist Visa + Extension.

(Q) Has any member extended their METV 60 more days recently with their “Valid Until” date less than 5 days?

Thanks – Jerry.

11 minutes ago, jerry10 said:

Thanks all for the reply and advice.  

A couple of quick follow-ups,

The U.S. airline I will fly may have difficulty understanding the longevity of the METV visa extension. I can show 6 month stay with the “Valid until date”.

(Q) Is there a document (to print) explaining how the METV visa can be extended, in case I am questioned at checkin.

You don't need an onward flight if travelling to Thailand with a visa. The airline should know that and will not ask to see a flight.

11 minutes ago, jerry10 said:

I know the METV visa has been issued to the public for a few years now.

In this climate of uncertainty with the IO rules recently, I'm worried they may just refuse giving a new 60 day stamp, 4 days or less prior to expiration date. Or maybe 8 months in Thailand is a red flag now using a Tourist Visa + Extension.

(Q) Has any member extended their METV 60 more days recently with their “Valid Until” date less than 5 days?

Once you're in Thailand the "valid until" date of the entry visa is not important. Any 60 day permission to stay can be extended by 60 days, whether or not the entry visa has expired.

10 minutes ago, Holly3228 said:

I'm wondering how many METV's you're allowed before being denied entry. I'm currently on my second METV and am hoping to apply for a 3rd in June.

Would love to hear any advice and personal experiences!

There is no set limit, depends on the mood of the immigration officer ????

1 hour ago, Holly3228 said:

I'm wondering how many METV's you're allowed before being denied entry. I'm currently on my second METV and am hoping to apply for a 3rd in June.

There is no legal limit on how long you "can have been in Thailand before" when entering the country with a valid Tourist Visa.  At law-abiding entry points, this will be respected.  Unfortunately, there is no "top-down" enforcement to prevent IOs/supervisors at some entry points from breaking the law, and carrying out an "anti longer staying farang" agenda.

As a result, if you want to enter safely, you will need to avoid airports in Bangkok, Phuket, Saumi, Krabi, plus the Poipet/Aranyaprathet land-border.  All other land-borders are not reported to be a problem. 

We also do not have reports of problems at the Chiang Mai Airport - but, being denied-entry by air involves being detained and forced to buy a last-minute ticket to your point of origin, vs rejection by-land, which allows for simply walking back to where one came from.

Edited by JackThompson

My third in 2 years expired yesterday. First I stayed 7 months then returned for a month on visa free. Second after 2 months stayed 7 months then returned for 2 weeks. Entered for my last 60 days a little ago. All issued in Melbourne Australia. Do enter through Utapao last time just in case.

Sent from my Nokia 2 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, Holly3228 said:

There are two separate questions:

• How many METVs will your home country consulate allow you?
  • When might immigration deny you entry when attempting to come to Thailand with a valid tourist visa?

The rules on issuing METVs, while supposedly uniform worldwide, will vary depending on where you apply. It is impossible to give any advice on this without knowing your nationality.

Potential denial of entry for those with valid tourist visas is a bit of a fuzzy area, but advice is, for now, available on how to safely surmount that obstacle. There is no limit in law as to how often you can enter Thailand with tourist visas. However, some officials at some entry points will try to find reasons to deny you entry if they consider you are spending too much time in Thailand on tourist entries. Known to be dangerous places to enter after six months or so of almost continuous residence in Thailand on tourist entries are the airports of Suvarnabhumi, Don Muang, Krabi and Phuket plus the land crossing Poipet/Aran. Other airports are possibly safe, but the best solution is to enter by land anywhere else other than Poipet/Aran. This is subject to change at any time.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Holly3228 said:

It’s not really about the number of METV’s, but about how long you use it to stay (live) in the country as a tourist,

The visa is meant for frequent visitors for tourism, not to be used to live in the country.  If you’re doing the latter you could get questioned anytime and possibly denied entry. Although the chances of being denied entry are very small.

Thanks everyone.

In regards to your comment BritTim, I'm from Australia and have been issued both METV's from the Melbourne Consulate.

I've heard of someone in the USA having been issued 3METV's in the past but I'm unsure how many the Australian Consulate will allow.

58 minutes ago, Holly3228 said:

Thanks everyone.

In regards to your comment BritTim, I'm from Australia and have been issued both METV's from the Melbourne Consulate.

I've heard of someone in the USA having been issued 3METV's in the past but I'm unsure how many the Australian Consulate will allow.

As I recall, Melbourne is reported to freely issue serial METVs as long as you satisfy the financial rules. Someone with recent experience may be able to confirm my recollection and indicate whether their policies remain unchanged.

21 hours ago, elviajero said:

You don't need an onward flight if travelling to Thailand with a visa. The airline should know that and will not ask to see a flight.

Once you're in Thailand the "valid until" date of the entry visa is not important. Any 60 day permission to stay can be extended by 60 days, whether or not the entry visa has expired.

About 2 years ago Asiana Airline in the U.S. questioned me regarding my 8 1/2 months RT flight to Thailand using the metv visa. Took me 15 minutes to explain the metv 60 day flexibility. Maybe it was just the inexperience of the ticket agent.

If his entry visa expired, how can he get a extended 60 day? Are you referring to applying for a SETV visa?

19 minutes ago, tomx2 said:
22 hours ago, elviajero said:

About 2 years ago Asiana Airline in the U.S. questioned me regarding my 8 1/2 months RT flight to Thailand using the metv visa. Took me 15 minutes to explain the metv 60 day flexibility. Maybe it was just the inexperience of the ticket agent.

If his entry visa expired, how can he get a extended 60 day? Are you referring to applying for a SETV visa?

It was a typo and should have said; "extended by 30 days", not 60.

A visa can be used for entry until it's expiry date. Even if you enter on the expiry date (last day) of the visa you are granted a 60 day permit to stay. That (any) 60 day stay can be extended by 30 days

On 2/26/2019 at 4:49 PM, elviajero said:

Although the chances of being denied entry are very small.

Interesting point. Let's say somebody has been living in Thailand 9 months per year on tourist visas for three years in a row, what really are the chances of him getting denied entry at Suvarnabhumi airport? One in three? One in ten? One in a hundred? One in a thousand?

35 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

Interesting point. Let's say somebody has been living in Thailand 9 months per year on tourist visas for three years in a row, what really are the chances of him getting denied entry at Suvarnabhumi airport? One in three? One in ten? One in a hundred? One in a thousand?

If you take the top 17 (based on total visitor numbers) ‘western’ countries there were 4.7M entries for tourism in the first 9 months (latest numbers) of 2018.

We only had a handful of reports from members from those countries that were denied entry last year, most of which were long term tourists.

I can’t answer your question, but you can get an idea from the large number of entries and very few reports, that it’s a tiny  overall percentage. Although how many of those 4.7M entries were long term tourists is anyone’s guess.

2 minutes ago, elviajero said:

If you take the top 17 (based on total visitor numbers) ‘western’ countries there were 4.7M entries for tourism in the first 9 months (latest numbers) of 2018.

The vast majority of those entries are not the specific set that :-

i) spend over 6 months a year here AND

ii) enter using tourist visas or visa exempts.

Anyway, this topic has been done to death on multiple threads.

I suggest we keep this topic for specific news on the issuance of METV's.

On 2/26/2019 at 12:04 PM, Holly3228 said:

Hi holly, I have had 1 or 2 METV visas from Syd every year since 2012.  They have changed the rules in requirements every year, but never been denied.  The biggest issue as posted here is getting thru immi, but to be honest I have never been questioned or detained, but I was atleast 4 mnths away from Thailand between each visit. 

Its hard now to guess what will happen next with immi laws, as what works today may not work tommorow. 

In 2012 with my first metv from Australia all I needed was a photocopy of DL and passport a photo and visa fee.

• Like 1