The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa Topic (METV)

8 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

Interesting point. Let's say somebody has been living in Thailand 9 months per year on tourist visas for three years in a row, what really are the chances of him getting denied entry at Suvarnabhumi airport? One in three? One in ten? One in a hundred? One in a thousand?

No one can really give you a figure (though I expect some will try). One thing is for sure: it would be very risky trying to enter visa exempt with that kind of history. Besides time in country, there are many other factors that could contribute to denied entry with a visa. Some that come to mind are nationality, age, grooming, and how articulate you are under questioning.

Who says you can stay only for 6 months? The visa is valid for 6 months so if you enter the 3rd time before the expiry & extend for 30 days at Chaeng Wattana after those 2 months are expiring, you will get about 9 months before needing to get a new visa. In essence it would be similar to the old 3 entry tourist visa which you could get hardly anywhere except a few lucky cities around the world.

Who says you can stay only for 6 months? The visa is valid for 6 months so if you enter the 3rd time before the expiry & extend for 30 days at Chaeng Wattana after those 2 months are expiring, you will get about 9 months before needing to get a new visa. In essence it would be similar to the old 3 entry tourist visa which you could get hardly anywhere except a few lucky cities around the world.

That's based on you getting the METV just before you fly. My max is usually around 8.5 months

24 minutes ago, kmw said:

I am now on my 5th metv back to back, I fly back to Sydney for about 10 days to obtain another metv once a year, and never really had an issue with immigration, I normally fly into Bangkok or Chiang Mai, only once was asked by an IO if I worked in thailand, I said no, I am on holiday and she stamped me through, will be going for a 6th metv back to back in August this year 

Where do you go to be able to get your next 90 days?

Enter before a few days of the valid to date gives you an extra 60 days,  so about 8 months, then extend at immigration for 30 days, so total is about 9 months, then unusually get a 90 day medical extension, so total about one year 

Enter before a few days of the valid to date gives you an extra 60 days,  so about 8 months, then extend at immigration for 30 days, so total is about 9 months, then unusually get a 90 day medical extension, so total about one year 
you apply for METV a day before you fly? because you'd need to do that to get 9 months

21 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
1 hour ago, kmw said:

you apply for METV a day before you fly? because you'd need to do that to get 9 months

There are some consulates where the whole process of getting the visa takes 30 minutes.

But i always go 2-3 days before the flight, to cover the case that my car breaks down on the way to the consulate and i could not arrive there at this day.

There are some consulates where the whole process of getting the visa takes 30 minutes.
But i always go 2-3 days before the flight, to cover the case that my car breaks down on the way to the consulate and i could not arrive there at this day.
i usually go a week before the flight. The METV gets processed the same day but there is a risk of people being ill etc. People often quote 9 months but i don't think its worth the risk of leaving it too late

I'm from the US,I'll be completing my METV than apply for a  final 30 day extension on it.

I would like to do a land visa exempt entry before the 30 days are up to gain another 30 days!  Will this be a problem!

5 hours ago, riclag said:

I'm from the US,I'll be completing my METV than apply for a  final 30 day extension on it.

I would like to do a land visa exempt entry before the 30 days are up to gain another 30 days!  Will this be a problem!

No problem to get a 30 day visa exempt entry at a land border crossing. 

It should not be a problem as long as you do not use the Poipet/Aranyaprathet crossing.  Also, if you use a crossing to Malaysia, you may need to spend at least 1 night out before returning.  You could also extend that 30-day visa-exempt entry for another 30-days.

• Thanks 1

As long as you do not try to do it at Poipet/Aran, using a land crossing to get a visa exempt entry should be no problem.

Note, however, that those spending a large proportion of their time in Thailand as tourists are well advised to avoid racking up visa exempt entries. If you have very few visa exempt entries since 2015, you are more likely to survive an attempt to enter visa exempt by air should be need arise. I would advise you to avoid routine use of visa exempt entries (even where they are no problem in isolation) for that reason.

5 hours ago, BritTim said:

As long as you do not try to do it at Poipet/Aran, using a land crossing to get a visa exempt entry should be no problem.

Note, however, that those spending a large proportion of their time in Thailand as tourists are well advised to avoid racking up visa exempt entries. If you have very few visa exempt entries since 2015, you are more likely to survive an attempt to enter visa exempt by air should be need arise. I would advise you to avoid routine use of visa exempt entries (even where they are no problem in isolation) for that reason.

I have done this one other time in the past,I wasn't sure(new drama) if they were still allowing  a visa exempt entry after all of the METV options  have been exhausted . I have been using the Thaket/Nakhon Pathnom border for my METV required in and outs.I did have a visa exempt entry at the same place in 2017 after my METV options were exhausted!  

Thanks 

• 3 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Enki said:

How can METV options be exhausted?

My guess, with exhausted he means that METV's are only issued in your home country.

My last land crossing within the METV wasn't that nice either. Officer left with the passport to see his supervisor, than stamped it anyway. When I asked what's wrong..? Nothing wrong, not that I would have expected much of another answer.

They were particulary unfriendly already when I left the same day. (Went just over to Lao, to have some Lunch and some Beer Lao), it was basically an un-needed trip as long it goes for the visa validity, but that they couldn't know.

So either they had a bad day as a hudge bunch of Chinese did cross the same time too, or and that's what I believe much more, is the new policy.

Still OK to go out/in on a land border just before the expiry date on an METV visa to get another 60 days ?

Have been out of Thailand nearly a year prior to that initial entry, so fingers crossed....

Edited by freedomnow

32 minutes ago, freedomnow said:

Still OK to go out/in on a land border just before the expiry date on an METV visa to get another 60 days ?

Have been out of Thailand nearly a year prior to that initial entry, so fingers crossed....

We have no reports of IOs denying-entry to those with valid-visas for unsubstantiated reasons at any land-border except at Poipet/Aranyaprathet, which should always be avoided.  Your METV entitles you to 60-day permitted-stays every time it is used, up until the date of expiry, which reports to-date indicate will be honored at all other land-border entry-points.

Do be aware, however, that the rules allow an IO to request to see you have 20K Baht worth of cash or travelers checks.  This is most often enforced at the Malaysian crossings, but could be asked anywhere. 

The Malaysian entry-points are also requiring those who re-enter on visa-exempt (w/o a Visa) to stay out one night, but I haven't read of this being enforced for METV users.  Still, if it were me, I'd stay out a night if re-entering from Malaysia.

On 3/27/2019 at 12:09 PM, freedomnow said:

I don't understand your second paragraph. How many METV's have you had? What was the "initial entry"? On an METV?

37 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

I don't understand your second paragraph. How many METV's have you had? What was the "initial entry"? On an METV?

Yes, on an METV. I meant I had a significant break overseas before coming here as my back history...not that it seems to matter at certain borders once they have made up their mind to cause friction..cheers !

1 hour ago, freedomnow said:

Yes, on an METV. I meant I had a significant break overseas before coming here as my back history...not that it seems to matter at certain borders once they have made up their mind to cause friction..cheers !

So that must be a new METV? Not the one from last year.

Hi.

Planning to stay in Thailand for 7 months using a METV visa.

Will also spend 1 month in Cambodia.

The first 5 months will be in Thailand, 1 Month in Cambodia, then back for 2 months in Thailand.

I have a copy of my RT flight itinerary from USA to Thailand for the Thai Consulate.

Will not purchase my Cambodian ticket until a month before I travel.

The Visa app form requires Date of Arrival/Leaving and Duration of Stay.

(Q):

Given I haven 't purchase my flight ticket to Cambodia:

What should I enter for Date of Departure: Thailand or Cambodia date?

What should be duration of Stay: The 5 months leading up to my Cambodian trip or the full 7 months?

Thanks.

3 hours ago, tomx2 said:

Hi.

The first 5 months will be in Thailand, 1 Month in Cambodia, then back for 2 months in Thailand.

I have a copy of my RT flight itinerary from USA to Thailand for the Thai Consulate.

Will not purchase my Cambodian ticket until a month before I travel.

(Q):

Given I haven 't purchase my flight ticket to Cambodia:

What should I enter for Date of Departure: Thailand or Cambodia date?

What should be duration of Stay: The 5 months leading up to my Cambodian trip or the full 7 months?

Thanks.

I'm no expert but I am on my second METV now so have a decent idea I think! You get stamped in for 60 days, which you can extend for another 30 days.  You can only extend for 30 days once on your METV.  So you will have to leave Thailand within 90 days of arrival, so I would assume your departure date and duration of stay would need to be within 90 days.  You don't need to tell them you are staying for so long.  Also, every consulate appears to be different so you would be wise to ask them what they want to see.  At Hull where i go to in the UK they need to see an onward ticket within 8 months of the first entry date.

You can't stay for 5 months straight off the bat even though it is a 6 month visa.  You will need to do a visa run to a neighbouring country.

So for 5 months, you could do 60 days, do a visa run, come back with another 60 day stamp and then extend for another 30 days at your closest immigration centre.  That's your 5 months.  Then go to Cambodia, making sure you enter Thailand again before the last entry date written on your visa.

You can what you plan (I think) but you can't stay for 5 months in Thailand on an METV without doing a border run.

Make sure you are aware of the various pitfalls of re-entering Thailand.  Always carry 20k baht cash with you, a hotel reservation and preferably an onward ticket.  You are also best to come in by land and most certainly not via the Bangkok airports and never re-entering from a visa run to Don Muang.

3 hours ago, tomx2 said:

Date of arrival is the date you expect to enter the country the first time. Duration of stay just put 60 days since that is what the visa allows when your enter the country. 

1 hour ago, sampson said:

I'm no expert but I am on my second METV now so have a decent idea I think! You get stamped in for 60 days, which you can extend for another 30 days.  You can only extend for 30 days once on your METV.  So you will have to leave Thailand within 90 days of arrival, so I would assume your departure date and duration of stay would need to be within 90 days.  You don't need to tell them you are staying for so long.  Also, every consulate appears to be different so you would be wise to ask them what they want to see.  At Hull where i go to in the UK they need to see an onward ticket within 8 months of the first entry date.

You can't stay for 5 months straight off the bat even though it is a 6 month visa.  You will need to do a visa run to a neighbouring country.

So for 5 months, you could do 60 days, do a visa run, come back with another 60 day stamp and then extend for another 30 days at your closest immigration centre.  That's your 5 months.  Then go to Cambodia, making sure you enter Thailand again before the last entry date written on your visa.

You can what you plan (I think) but you can't stay for 5 months in Thailand on an METV without doing a border run.

Make sure you are aware of the various pitfalls of re-entering Thailand.  Always carry 20k baht cash with you, a hotel reservation and preferably an onward ticket.  You are also best to come in by land and most certainly not via the Bangkok airports and never re-entering from a visa run to Don Muang.

@sampson: Sorry for the confusion. I plan to charter a prepaid 1 day in/out visa boarder run before my 30 day extension expires. Will put 60 days as duration.  Thanks for the info.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Date of arrival is the date you expect to enter the country the first time. Duration of stay just put 60 days since that is what the visa allows when your enter the country. 

@ubonjoe. As suggested, I will put 60 days as duration & and give a departure date equal to the 60th day from the entered date. thanks for your help.

8 hours ago, tomx2 said:

Out of an abundance of caution, arrange for your return from Cambodia to Thailand (after several months continually in Thailand earlier) to be by land (but under no circumstances at the Poipet/Aranyaprathet crossing). Returning by air would probably work out, but would involve a small risk of denied entry (especially at Don Muang).

• Like 1

On 11/14/2015 at 4:48 AM, PREM-R said:

I have just been looking at the requirements for the METV at Hull UK and notice this:

"Bank statements must show applicant’s name and current UK address. Married couples are required to meet this requirement each."

So a married couple will need to have 10,000 GB pounds in their bank account for 6 months before applying for a METV. Much easier for each of them to get a single entry and then renew in a neighbouring country or extend at immigration depending on how much longer they wish to stay. Really do not see who will be in the market for one of the METV's.

I dont see why they stop the o.single where u just had to show u was getting a pension not the amount but at was stop 2 year ago but still on here web page

43 minutes ago, Woolsgibb60 said:

I dont see why they stop the o.single where u just had to show u was getting a pension not the amount but at was stop 2 year ago but still on here web page

The honorary consulates have for the last few years been heavily restricted in the visas they are allowed to issue. Indeed, if the proposed evisa system goes into effect as the only permissible way of getting visas, the consulates may be eliminated completely.