Umbrella zones pop up on Kata, Karon and Surin beaches

rooster59

Umbrella zones pop up on Kata, Karon and Surin beaches

post-247607-0-62430700-1447485216_thumb.

PHUKET: The 10 per cent beach management zone policy first established in Patong (see here) was expanded to Kata, Karon and Surin this week.

“Each local government has already measured and decided where the zones will be,” Vice Governor Chokdee said, as he led a team that was establishing temporary landmarks for the zones.

Two umbrella zones were set up at Kata Beach, two at Kata Noi Beach, five at Karon Beach and one at Karon Noi Beach.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Umbrella-zones-pop-on-Kata-Karon-Surin/62357?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2015-11-14

The "Kata-Karon Umbrella Vendor Group" will do their best to adhere to the new rules, despite the management plan failing to create an ideal situation, says Manas Yenjit, head of the group. "

Do their best to adhere to the new rule - what, no WILL adhere ...

And is this Kata-Karon Vendor group registered to pay any taxes and provide business accounts ... or is it all back to the same o same scamming cartel.

Edited by LivinginKata

Doesn't the sign look professional!

Not a lot of zones considering the size of the beaches, unless they are very long zones.

Still ridiculous that you can't plant an umbrella where you want and I am tempted to test this out soon and see what the reaction is.

<snip>

Still ridiculous that you can't plant an umbrella where you want and I am tempted to test this out soon and see what the reaction is.

Exactly - I am waiting for news reports from angry tourists being told to move. I seem to remember a few months ago a report that tourists were told to move on Patong Beach and stop drinking beer on the beach. Talk about the final nails in the coffin ....

Edited by LivinginKata

Doesn't the sign look professional!

Not a lot of zones considering the size of the beaches, unless they are very long zones.

We pitched an umbrella outside the "zone" both yesterday and today at Kata beach. No issue whatsoever, and I'm not sure who would actually be enforcing these rules that seem to change almost daily.

I did notice (for the first time) three army-types walking on the footpath, but they didn't seem to have any interest in anything going on.

Cant someone send these officials abroad to see how it's done?

Renewable Licenses are given to a certain amount of people that can then exploit a certain amount of chairs/ umbrellas, on a certain amount of beach. These people do not own the beach, and pay rent and taxes.Nobody abuses the system as they would risk loosing their license definitively.

These spots are usually spaced out with public beach in between. The money from the rent pays for local council employees to clean the brand everyday and empty waste bins , install showers and clean toilets for everyone's use.

It's not rocket science , anyone with half a brain could set this up in a week.

Renewable Licenses are given to a certain amount of people that can then exploit a certain amount of chairs/ umbrellas, on a certain amount of beach. These people do not own the beach, and pay rent and taxes.Nobody abuses the system as they would risk loosing their license definitively.

These spots are usually spaced out with public beach in between. The money from the rent pays for local council employees to clean the brand everyday and empty waste bins , install showers and clean toilets for everyone's use.

Yes, everyone knows how it should be done, but where does the tea money come from in this system? That's what this is all about, just ask the current Kata Karon mayor that made millions for dividing up the beach and selling concessions before he was arrested and the blatant evidence was put out in public. The crooked mayor was supposed to face the courts, but the latest info on this extortion artist is that the case is "being considered". Make of that what you will, but I'm sure millions of considerations are going into the case.

<snip>

Oh, they know fully well the correct way to set this up.

But..... imagine their dilemma: "Do I set this up correctly with full transparency, or do I find a way to keep some money flowing into the pockets of my buddies and myself while providing the illusion that all has been put right?".

Its not difficult to see which path is being taken.

But this is Thailand not 'abroad' It is Asia. I want to be able to hire umbrellas not pack one in my suitcase and not hire one from a big hotel chain. I want to hire from a small family business which some people on this forum, because they have never traveled, calls the mafia. It's pathetic. Bring back the deck chairs and umbrellas. Bring back the stalls and the hawkers to Sukhumvit. Hopefully the new visa rules will out the cheap charlies and moaners.

But this is Thailand not 'abroad' It is Asia. I want to be able to hire umbrellas not pack one in my suitcase and not hire one from a big hotel chain. I want to hire from a small family business which some people on this forum, because they have never traveled, calls the mafia. It's pathetic. Bring back the deck chairs and umbrellas. Bring back the stalls and the hawkers to Sukhumvit. Hopefully the new visa rules will out the cheap charlies and moaners.

Anyone who has spent any amount of time on the beaches of Phuket over the years knows that those people doing business on the beach are by no means small family businesses. They are well organized, powerful and connected.

Generally recognized modus operandi of so-called mafia around the world includes: deriving revenue from illegal activities, intimidation of the general public, and paying and/or intimidating local officials and law enforcement to look the other way.

Over the years, generally recognized modus operandi of the people doing business on the beach include encroachment on public land, chasing away or intimidating tourists who choose not to rent beach equipment, charging tourists for the right to disembark a boat on land owned by the crown, and colluding with law enforcement in the scamming of tourists who rent jet skis. As if conducting business on the beach itself isn't officially illegal. How does this not fit the pattern of generally recognized mafia behavior?

Obviously many tourists would like to rent a lounger and umbrella, and be able to have drinks/food delivered to them. Not many people disagree that this would be a good thing for Phuket's beaches if properly managed. Personally, I think that the now-banned rows of plastic loungers with pads, umbrella and table sets would much better on the beach than the current mats thrown on the sand if they were limited to small areas. The problem, as history has shown us, is that due to corruption or intimidation (or both), this has never been properly managed, and probably will not be well-managed anytime in the near future.

By the way, you can buy a portable beach umbrella from any number of family-owned shops and bring it to the beach.

Edited by DrDave