High-speed test train derails in northern France, killing 7

rooster59

High-speed test train derails in northern France, killing 7

ECKWERSCHEIM, France (AP) — A high-speed train undergoing a test derailed, burst into flames, split apart and plunged into a canal in northeast France, killing at least seven people and gravely injuring at least 10 others in what officials said appeared to be an accident.

There were no immediate indications that Saturday's crash into the Marne au Rhin canal had anything to do with the deadly terrorist attacks in Paris a day earlier, said spokeswoman Viviane Chevallier of the Bas-Rhin region.

Authorities believe the TGV high-speed train, with 49 people on board, was going too fast and skipped off the tracks in the town of Eckwerscheim near the German border, she said.

In a statement, French President Francois Hollande's office said the train was not running on a line used by commercial trains. His office said 10 people were gravely injured. Chevallier had said earlier 11 people were severely injured.

Five helicopters were deployed to evacuate the injured to hospital in the nearby city of Strasbourg. Two government ministers were en route to the site.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-11-15

The TGV holds the world speed record at 574 kph, but this train was travelling on a newly built line and as the engine ended up in a canal it is possible that the cause was excessive speed over a viaduct/bridge section, or a structural/track failure at a vulnerable transition point.

TGV uses its own signalling system, which is normally very safe (but expensive) I wonder if there was a failure of onboard equipment not warning the driver to slow down, or driver failure. If it was a speed restricted section the signalling should have automatically slowed the train.

There was a big TGV crash last July when one collided with a local express and there were a lot of injured. Not sure if any died, but it has a very good safety record in general. Sorry for all the SNCF people who died or were injured in this crash. I Wish them speedy recovery.

Hope they soon find the cause and that it was not terrorism.

Very sorry for everyone killed and injured in Paris, I used to work very near to the places attacked and there are many nice places to eat. It is such a terrible thing for young people to do. I cannot think of a fate bad enough for those who brainwash others into suicide missions.