Thai tourism unaffected by Paris attacks

webfact

Thai tourism unaffected by Paris attacks

tm.jpg

BANGKOK, 16 November 2015 (NNT) - Minister of Tourism and Sports Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul has confirmed attacks in Paris have not affected the Thai tourism while the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) have planned to increase tourism revenue in 2016.

The minister on Sunday predicted that the deadly attacks in Paris would not affect the Thai tourism in the short run, saying European tourists had not cancelled their hotel room reservation. The number of Thai tourists in November was higher than expected but their spending was lower. The ministry was therefore urgently stimulating domestic travel by both Thai and foreign tourists, said the minister.

More than seven million tourists from China and ASEAN countries have visited Thailand after bombings at the Ratchaprasong junction in August this year, higher than last year by one million people.

The TAT’s tourism promotion plan for 2016 focuses on quality tourist sites with unique Thai characteristics with the objectives to persuade tourists to stay in Thailand longer. There will also be new activities to promote tourism targeting sport lovers and working women.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-11-16 footer_n.gif

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right on cue comes the ' not affected ' report and assurances that revenue will, of course, increase.

I'm surprised she didn't actually claim that tourism from France was increasing as people seek some respite from the nightmare in Paris.

So predictable and so pathetic.

Edited by NongKhaiKid

"The number of Thai tourists in November was higher ...."

What an odd statement and it probably goes some way to demonstrate the accuracy and forethought for the whole announcement. How on earth can anyone compile accurate numerical statistics for the month of November .. when November is only halfway through. Only in Thailand.

Thai tourism unaffected by Paris attacks.

That may be the case for now,but that doesn't mean the world revolves around a nations tourist income.

Hopefully nothing will ever erupt, but living in the South of Thailand would not be on my list of safe venues.Tourism unaffected or not!

They must be ordered or told to do and say these things because no country in the world could have this many idiots in responsible positions or should that be irresponsible positions

The Old Boys Club has a whole new meaning and application here.

The minister, appointed after the coup, is married to an army general I believe. rolleyes.gifwhistling.gif

Disgusting! No respect for those killed and injured in Paris! Trying to capitalise on another country's tragedy is deplorable. She had no need to mention Paris in announcing tourist figures. Most other countries offer help, sympathy and support to France, but Thailand's tourism must go on! Please have some respect.

Disgusting! No respect for those killed and injured in Paris! Trying to capitalise on another country's tragedy is deplorable. She had no need to mention Paris in announcing tourist figures. Most other countries offer help, sympathy and support to France, but Thailand's tourism must go on! Please have some respect.

In a perverse way she was showing respect but to the only thing that matters here, MONEY !

"The number of Thai tourists in November was higher than expected but their spending was lower."

TAT is getting better and better... November is only half way, but they already have all the figures....

off course the spending is down, cause the majority is now Chinese, and they spend their money with the Chinese travel agent, buying stuff in a Chinese shop that does not pay Thai Tax but send the money back to China....

But that is OK, because TAT numbers are up, more tourist are coming....

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Thainess

wai2.gif

Right on cue comes the ' not affected ' report and assurances that revenue will, of course, increase.

I'm surprised she didn't actually claim that tourism from France was increasing as people seek some respite from the nightmare in Paris.

So predictable and so pathetic.

hundreds of people killed in france by muslims! hundreds of Thai's killed in the south by muslims! and this brain dead female talks about tourism! disgusting!

Appallingly insensitive.

Many years ago when the anthrax letter campaign started in the US I remember my then gf was watching a Thai comedy show which included a scene when an actress opened an envelope, white powder fell out and she started screaming ' anthrax ' to much hilarity.

I suggested it was very insensitive and not in the least bit funny and my gf agreed but explained that the on going situation wasn't happening here or affecting Thais so people wouldn't care .

The TATs tourism promotion plan for 2016 focuses on quality tourist sites with unique Thai characteristics (National Parks with 1000 baht entry fee for foreigners) with the objectives to persuade tourists to stay in Thailand longer, (however we will make it very difficult to obtain longer visa). There will also be new activities to promote tourism targeting sport lovers and working women.( we believe there are not enough "working women" here and would like to invite more foreign ones)