Where to do Title Search for land?

My Thai wife is about to get some land currently owned by her her mother, transfered into her name. I read that making a title search is important, as it will determine if there are any registered encumbrances on the property such as loan, lien or a mortgage.

My question is, where can my wife do a title search on this land, before it's transfered into her name? How long does it take to make? How much does it cost?

Also, is there a name for this "title search" in Thai?

Thanks!

Bob

Every province has a Land Office, the "Gom Kee Din," or semi close to that in Thai, sometimes more than one such office. As the Phom said, you need to go there to look up the details on the land. Take the chanote along.

Mac

It should be marked on the chanote if there mortgage or loans on it

If it's "Mom's" property, she'll have all the paperwork for it. There should be a section marked for each ownership transfer and for each "Transaction" in which the land was involved. You and your wife just need to take Mom and said paperwork down to the land office and have it verified and they can witness the signature right there.

If it were a newer condo or a downtown real property or even a newish business I would be concerned but home property to family is easy. My wife's folks did the same thing 2 yrs ago with their lands. Took a couple of hrs.