What to do or see?

Crazy chef 1

My family( wife and toddler) and me just moved recently to Phuket ( Chalong area) and would like to explore the island .what can you long timers recommend such as nice beaches,sight seeings,zoos, shows,water parks or whatsoever...last week we went to phangna and enjoyed the trip...

thanks

Presumably you've been up to Big Buddha for the views.

I always take first time visitors on the loop. Go south down Wichit to Rawai, then on to Cape Panwah, north along the coast to Nai Han Beach visiting the windmill lookout on the way, through Nai Han, bear left on the road to Kata then Karon. return to Chalong on Patak over the hill. Or, continue north to Patong, Kamala, etc., depending on time. There is any amount of diversions along this route.

I always take first time visitors on the loop. Go south down Wichit to Rawai, then on to Cape Panwah, north along the coast to Nai Han Beach visiting the windmill lookout on the way, through Nai Han, bear left on the road to Kata then Karon. return to Chalong on Patak over the hill. Or, continue north to Patong, Kamala, etc., depending on time. There is any amount of diversions along this route.

Correction:

I meant Cape Promthep not Panwa. My bad.

(I had recently been discussing a couple of weddings at Panwa and had the name in my head)

Edited by Old Croc

Why and Earth would you wish to have your family in Phuket. You must be a new time teacher here.

Why on Earth would you answer a specific question this way? You must be an old time teacher here who lost his mojo long ago.

Cape Panwah is not between Rawai Beach and Nai Harn Beach. You are thinking on Cape Promthep. Cape Panwah is north of Chalong circle off Chaoard, seefah East.

Update: Disregard, I see you caught your error.

OP, please don't support the zoo or cobra/crocodile abuse shows or taking photos with monkeys on collars. Be very selective of elephant tours as well and support only operations that don't abuse the animals or operate unsafe or unclean facilities. Instead do some bird watching or go looking for reptiles sunning themselves in the morning sun along the road. I have seen both land and water monitors, cobras, flying golden tree snakes and sing snakes along the road going up to the windmill on Promthep Cape. Maybe the cobras are not the best attraction for a toddler in retrospect but who knows. One specific thing many people seem to enjoy is walking in and looking in the tide pools at low tide at Rawai beach for various crabs and marine life. Newcomers love to look at the fish market at Rawai pier also. Ok, ok Phuket haters. You might find a body at low tide also but the crabs will make short work of it. There is a fish farm somewhere where you pay a fee and they give you tackle and you take home (or to a restaurant) your catch for cooking. Not sure where it is but know Thais who go.

Edited by csabo

Finding the Phuket geocache locations gives a good overview of Phuket.

Wow another geocacher! I gave up spreading the word on this. Seems like it still remains a secret society. It's my go to "first date" idea. Happy caching!

Well, since I am blind in one eye and can't see out of the other....my pea brain asks, "why the heck would anyone want to look at anything in Phuket????

do you understand that it is not required to respond to every post that is on this site? if you live in but <deleted> nowhere and read something on this site and feel an obligation to respond,, apply some self control.. respond only if you have something positive to say.

people like you are why so many expats with good knowledge of things in thailand hate to come on this website

ps, if you need a drive to the airport to go back to whatever village you came from pm me and i will be happy to get you out of this country

yes phuket is not the same paradise as it was once some 15-20 yrs ago but negativity is as you say pea brained

Cape Panwah is not between Rawai Beach and Nai Harn Beach. You are thinking on Cape Promthep. Cape Panwah is north of Chalong circle off Chaoard, seefah East.

OP, please don't support the zoo or cobra/crocodile abuse shows or taking photos with monkeys on collars. Be very selective of elephant tours as well and support only operations that don't abuse the animals or operate unsafe or unclean facilities. Instead do some bird watching or go looking for reptiles sunning themselves in the morning sun along the road. I have seen both land and water monitors, cobras, flying golden tree snakes and sing snakes along the road going up to the windmill on Promthep Cape. Maybe the cobras are not the best attraction for a toddler in retrospect but who knows. One specific thing many people seem to enjoy is walking in and looking in the tide pools at low tide at Rawai beach for various crabs and marine life. Newcomers love to look at the fish market at Rawai pier also. Ok, ok Phuket haters. You might find a body at low tide also but the crabs will make short work of it. There is a fish farm somewhere where you pay a fee and they give you tackle and you take home (or to a restaurant) your catch for cooking. Not sure where it is but know Thais who go.

ok so also have friends coming in from abroad for the first time and they want to go to elephant rides but want to go to the ones like you mentioned that take care of the animals and not abuse them, so as you sound like an expert on this subject, where do you suggest that i take them???

this is a very serious question as i too do not want to give my money to bad places but am willing, (even if more expensive) to go to the places that do take care of their animals... i personally believe that animals that have jobs are more happy animals but i do realize that some people will misstreat their animals, so i dont want to go there...

as i have not been able to find this info on the internet i am now turning to the knowledgable expat community and escpecially yourself to be able to help me out

thanks in advance

I'd hit the Ton Sai and Bang Pae waterfalls as well as the Khao Khad Views Tower, Big Buddha, the aquarium, and Kathu Waterfall for a start.
Also the National Park: Siranath which I believe has the same name at both Nai Yang beach, and Mai Khao beach (near Nikki beach club).

Also explore the islands of Khao Yao Noi and Kaho Yao Yai on the eastern side of Phuket.

I'd also hit the sea gypsy village of Rawai, and the area nearby has a few small beaches that are beautiful on the east side: Laem Ka and the other one between that and the sea gypsy village (the one where you turn at the 7/11 that the Korean's get bussed to for their speedboat trips.

Anyway, that's a start and usually where I take friends visiting.
I stay away from the more touristy things if I can.

Take a look at Jamie Monk's blog (jamie-monk.blogspot.com) for lots of ideas for things to do around Phuket.

Its a very well organized site with an extensive list of places to go and explore, each with a blog entry of his personal experience over the past 8-9 years.

Nice reply...but to make it more clear...visiting Thailand since 23 years...full time 6 years...just due of work commitments currently in phuket...

Check out The Gibbon Rehabilitation Project (http://www.gibbonproject.org/) and Soi Dog (https://www.soidog.org/).

Please avoid Tiger Kingdom, the zoo, the dolphinarium, Fantasea and anything that exploits animals. That especially means all elephant rides. If you really want to upset yourself, google how they break them in.