Weekend getaway from Hua Hin - any tips?

pinkpanther99

Hi there

I'm looking for a weekend getaway spot no more than 4 hours drive south from Hua Hin.

I've been to Ao Manao before but never further than that.

I hear Bangsaphan is nice and Ban Krut (if I've got that correct)

Is Koh Talu worth visiting and does anyone know how I could get there.

Any help much appreciated, thanks!

Ban Kruit/Krut/??? (many different spellings!) is very nice, but not much to do. Great beach but limited dinning options. And most close early.

Bang Saphan has more options, but I think the beach isn't as nice. Thung Wua Laen is quite nice. But sand flies can be a problem. We were there last year and it was OK, but I've had friends who've been there and were eaten alive.

We're just back from 4 days near the Evason Hua Hin, near Prachuap Khiri Khan, north of Kui Buri, and it was quite nice. Great beach, but not much to do and many restaurants are closed by 9pm. Also got bit a lot by I think sand flies. But we had a spot right on the beach with a great patio. Fantastic.

The town of Bang Saphan is not located on the coast in the same way HH is. The nearest beach area, Mae Rampung, is 3km east from the central market. It is pretty narrow and a little dirty. There are many seafood restaurants along there, and a couple of resorts.

The best area is Suan Luang beach. About 7km south from the market. There are couple of beach bars there, mostly frequented by the locals and tourists, and couple of decent restaurants. Some have local entertainment and can be surprisingly busy at times. There are also plenty of beach front bungalows and small resorts, and the Coral Resort, expensive and quite popular with the French. The beach is clean, empty, and stretches for 25km. Quiet and peaceful, if that is what you are looking for.

There is a tourist ferry to Koh Thalu going from a pier located perhaps 5km further south from Suan Luang. Don't know the schedule as I've never used it. Close to the pier is a small fishing harbor, where you can charter a local "fishing" boat with crew for a whole day of snorkeling and line fishing around the island. The price is about 6000 baht for your own boat including soft drinks, snorkeling and fishing equipment, or you can share with others for 500 baht per person. Not sure about the latest prices... There is still some coral left in the bay and snorkeling close to Koh Thalu and some of the other small islands is quite good. There is a small resort on the island, perfect for 2 days get away from it all...

Ban Krud is small and caters mostly to the Thai crowd. At times there can be so many buses they clog up the beach road. But the beach is nice, and the views from the Thong Chai temple are stunning. Ban Krud is only 30km from Bang Saphan, so if you decide to visit this part you can easily do both. Some time ago, I heard that some enterprising boat captains did the trips to Koh Thalu from Ban Krud, but the distance is around 18nm so would take over 2 hours each way. Not sure if they do the trips in high season only or at all. I assume that you'll have your own transport so it's just as easy to drive down to the ferry pier.

post-8155-0-74772700-1447669310_thumb.jppost-8155-0-13913600-1447669514_thumb.jppost-8155-0-59416000-1447669541_thumb.jppost-8155-0-37784900-1447669596_thumb.jp

Edited by SpaceKadet

Hello,

You'd definitely go visit Ban Krut and spend a night in 'Baan Grood Arcadia Resort & Spa'

which is the best place to stay there.

Ban Krut is about 160km from Hua Hin, 10km off Phetkasem Rd. It's about a 2 - 2.5hr drive.

There are some restaurants on the beach near the resort and is a 7-11 & a Lotus Express

within the walking distance.

Ban Krut Railway Station is about 1km away, the bike taxis will always meet the trains and

you can also ask the resort for a pick-up so you can go by train, too.

Special Express No.43 No.40

Hua Hin 11:29 Ban Krut 14:20

Ban Krut 13:07 Hua Hin 15:58

Fare 380B 380B

Ordinary Train No.255 No.254

Hua Hin 11:47 Ban Krut 9:02

Ban Krut 14:45 Hua Hin 11:40

Fare 31B 31B

Special Express will usually not get delayed but Ordinary Train always will.

Edited by Too

Prachuab Khiri Khan, the provincial capital, is a charming and interesting town, with a super beach called Ao Manao - on military land and therefore well run and maintained - only a few minutes south. The beach is flanked by restaurants and toilets and has a southern promontory with lots of interesting wildlife, including a species of rock spider which was new to us.

There are plenty of places to eat in the town, which also has a bustling colourful market and a lovely temple with water features. The harbour is a pretty and, last time I was there, tranquil spot, with places to sit and enjoy light refreshments. A short drive north of the town is another temple, up a lot of steps and swarming with monkeys (so only for the relatively fit and fearless) with a truly breathtaking 260 degree panorama of the sea and surrounding countryside.

A couple of hotels adjacent to the beach are modestly priced and equipped and fine for an overnight stay, if you have time to take in all this appealing little town has to offer. Could be the next Hua Hin, particularly if, as long mooted, the Immigration office eventually up sticks and moves there from its present offices on the fringe of the sprawling, polluted and charmless metropolis which has long since ceased to be the "Queen of Tranquility".

Edited by Krataiboy

If you are into nature/wildlife, why not try an hour west of HuaHin? The biggest National Park in the country, Kaeng Krachan. Beautiful scenery, mountains, jungle, big lake and very few westerners.

https://www.thainationalparks.com/kaeng-krachan-national-park

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g297919-d554899-Reviews-Kaeng_Krachan_National_Park-Cha_am_Phetchaburi_Province.html

Thanks for the feedback everyone, very helpful indeed.

I actually went to Kanchaburi a few months back and I plan to go to Chiang Mai in Feb so will rules those options out for now.

I have been to Ao Manao and really like it but was just wondering what available a little further afield but within manageable distance that we could go after I finish work on a Friday and return on a Sunday afternoon.