One Tonners

udon

I would say that the typical pickup trucks could be called one tonners. When I was building my workshop/garage a standard trip was 20 fifty kilogram bags of cement. That's 2,200 pounds and my Nissan handled it nicely.

I'm referring more to the apearance and "volume" of the rear tray.

ie; more flat area than the regular pickup/ute. :o

Not seen this peculiarly Aussie style here, BUT, I'm quite sure your local metal basher can make a tipper body for your Vigo if you give him a couple of piccies:)

"Tipper body"?????????? Who mentioned that????????? :D

Utes here aren't really work horses, they are about 3 inches of the ground, metallic paint & mag wheels......... Oh, & a rear spoiler!

They look like they're doing 80mph when parked up. They wouldn't last 5 minutes up country.

The Aussie one tonner is the tradesman's work horse.

Will try to find a pic......of a typical ute. :o

edited for pix:

post-2707-1160300150_thumb.jpg post-2707-1160300219_thumb.jpg

There ya go......

Edited by udon

"Tipper body"?????????? Who mentioned that?????????

The piccies at the top of this thread look awfully 'tippy' :o

Any point in a body like that that doesn't tip (well, it would be much more useful if it did anyway) :D

BTW, I've still not seen any here :D:)

"Tipper body"?????????? Who mentioned that?????????

Utes here aren't really work horses, they are about 3 inches of the ground, metallic paint & mag wheels......... Oh, & a rear spoiler!

They look like they're doing 80mph when parked up. :o They wouldn't last 5 minutes up country.

The Aussie one tonner is the tradesman's work horse.

Will try to find a pic......of a typical ute. :D

I know the type of ute you are talking about only too well . I am not sure that they sell a cab chassis only option in Thailand . It is quite easy to have the tray back built . I have built my own in the past and fitted it to a dual cab hilux 4x 4 when the styleside tray rusted out .

I scanned the couple of pics and have some more if needed .

Cheers ,

Jim .

well , I hope they attached :D

Australian usage of a term like "one tonner" for a pickup truck would clash with American usage, where we say "half ton" and "one ton" etc., for nominal carrying capacities. But in truth, it's poor terminology; you can get HD suspensions, etc.

But I've never seen a flatbed with edges like the ones in the opening post.

Australian usage of a term like "one tonner" for a pickup truck would clash with American usage, where we say "half ton" and "one ton" etc., for nominal carrying capacities. But in truth, it's poor terminology; you can get HD suspensions, etc.

But I've never seen a flatbed with edges like the ones in the opening post.

You can buy airbags for assisting coil springs . and have extra leaves added to the leaf spring type .

All really common in most suspension shops in Aus .

We call them utes ( Short for utility ) in Aus . Don't hear the word pickup truck get used there very often .

We call them utes ( Short for utility ) in Aus . Don't hear the word pickup truck get used there very often .

Hence the expression :"You Beaut, a Holden Ute" :o

Thanks Thumchok.

Holden = GM, Blondie, before you ask :D

Thumchok, did you ever have an FJ or an EK?

edited for spilling...... :D

Edited by udon

Hence the expression :"You Beaut, a Holden Ute" :o

Thanks Thumchok.

Holden = GM, Blondie, before you ask :D

Thumchok, did you ever have an FJ or an EK?

edited for spilling...... :D

No , My first car was an EJ . Bought it for 150aud , Came with free rust holes and a goat . The goat was delicious , and the car was a great bush basher and learning experience . Next car was a HQ .

Cheers ,

Jim .

Thanks to GM, Aus has a car industry (started) under the guise of General Motors Holdens (GMH)

Started around 1948.

Loads more members will know a lot more..... I'm not a car geek, I just grive the buggers. :o

I'm surprised that Isuzu or Toyota don't make a rear tray model in the LOS.

Thanks to GM, Aus has a car industry (started) under the guise of General Motors Holdens (GMH)

Started around 1948.

Loads more members will know a lot more..... I'm not a car geek, I just grive the buggers. :o

I'm surprised that Isuzu or Toyota don't make a rear tray model in the LOS.

Isuzu makes one too:

http://www.isuzu.co.jp/world/product/dmax/utility.html

Holden = GM, Blondie, before you ask :o
Aw shucks, I knew about Holden by 1959. My first car was a Vauxhall; also had an Opel, several Chevrolets, an Oldsmobile. On the Ford side, a RHD Consul Corsair. Speaking of GM, its stock is worth exactly what is was over 40 years ago, and the overseas branches make profits that get swamped by the North American losses. I think they've owned shares in Daewoo, Isuzu, and Suzuki along the way, too.