The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

Who out of your list can make Cheshire cheese..........whistling.gif

What the f..... is "American cheese"...........bah.gif

http://www.thefiftybest.com/food/best_cheese/united_states/

Just for information....when I did the search however lots of cheeseburger recipes came up LOL.

I am reminded of cheezwhizz....I suspect most Americans think Kraft make the best cheese....but perhaps NeverSure can give us a better idea!

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most cravings can be taken care of quite easily in Bangkok but really good bread is nigh on impossible to find.

BIG C EXTRA (not the regular ones) have an excellent SOUR DOUGH of which I usually buy all loaves on display and then put them in my freezer. 76 Baht. Only the BIG C EXTRA at Rama IV in BKK does not know what a real sourdough is.

they have some other Multigrain / dark breads which cost around 95 Baht a loaf and are pretty good as well.

I think non Brits who run Brit food down have never eaten Brit food. They think of fish & chips etc...But I can tell you I have fond memories of mums home made steak and kidney (suet) pudding that brings back heavenly thoughts, followed by gooseberry crumble and custard, not all this modern day crap with a tea spoon of something on a plate with a fancy squirt of goo to make it look pretty..

I raise you my mums ham and egg flan. tongue.png

I think non Brits who run Brit food down have never eaten Brit food. They think of fish & chips etc...But I can tell you I have fond memories of mums home made steak and kidney (suet) pudding that brings back heavenly thoughts, followed by gooseberry crumble and custard, not all this modern day crap with a tea spoon of something on a plate with a fancy squirt of goo to make it look pretty..

I raise you my mums ham and egg flan. tongue.png

I will raise your mums ham and egg flan for my mums stew and suet dumplings with afters of homemade rhubarb crumble with birds custard.

grilled (=spitroasted) Bavarian pork leg (gegrillte Schweinshaxe) (fried is yucky)

baked chicken wings (fried is yucky)

good rosette (Lyon salami)

but mostly I am happy with what I can get from Makro / Friendship / Foodland / BigC although some products are really too expensive

Both duck (215 Bht) and goose fat (239 Bht) were in Villa 33 yesterday,. I stocked up on pickled onion monster munch and Baxter's tomato chutney... sadly no prawn cocktail Skip's though.

Smokie: wasn't it Angel's delight not Angel whip?

Edited by james.d

I spent 5 weeks in a language exchange in Britain... I lost 5 Kg !

I remember crab and cucumber sandwiches...

And on one sunday, the mother got her hands on something special: a chicken! I was so happy to see that, but all my joy vanished when the chicken was boiled in water with mint... bah.gif horrible

I survived by buying Twix and salt & vinegar chips crisps.

When my parents picked me up, we went to a Chinese restaurant, there I ate a three days portion, I even ate the decorative vegetables...

Edited by manarak

I spent 5 weeks in a language exchange in Britain... I lost 5 Kg !

I remember crab and cucumber sandwiches...

And on one sunday, the mother got her hands on something special: a chicken! I was so happy to see that, but all my joy vanished when the chicken was boiled in water with mint... bah.gif horrible

I survived by buying Twix and salt & vinegar chips crisps.

When my parents picked me up, we went to a Chinese restaurant, there I ate a three days portion, I even ate the decorative vegetables...

I don't believe your "chicken boiled with mint" story.

No British cook could be so inventive...we roast the life out of any bird! :D

Going into a bakery and buying Danish pastry knowing full well that when you get it home and bite into it it will be filled with a delicious sweet filling such as blueberry and cheese and not a disgusting cold hot dog wrapped in tasteless shredded pork!!

There is a very old joke you've probably heard:

Heaven Is Where:
The French are the chefs
The Italians are the lovers
The British are the police
The Germans are the mechanics
And the Swiss make everything run on time
Hell is Where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

Who out of your list can make Cheshire cheese..........whistling.gif

What the f..... is "American cheese"...........bah.gif

http://www.thefiftybest.com/food/best_cheese/united_states/

Just for information....when I did the search however lots of cheeseburger recipes came up LOL.

I am reminded of cheezwhizz....I suspect most Americans think Kraft make the best cheese....but perhaps NeverSure can give us a better idea!

LOL. I missed this. American Cheese is a brand and I don't know if there's any cheese in it. It is thought of more as a kids' food and I don't know adults who eat the crap. Same with Cheeze Whiz. I'm not sure there's any real cheese in it.

I'll go with Tillamook Cheddar Cheese as the entry for America. At least that's what I buy.

If you want good cheese or beer in America you have to go to a small indy maker because IMHO the national brands are crap.

Cheers.

I agree with marmite but NZ marmite, its different to English. not much else, I can get NZ meat at Bradmans bar near Soi Cowboy, struggle to find good yoghurt or good stone fruit

Villa Market in soi 2 Sukhumvit sports Marmite

(the bread at bei Otto in soi 20 Sukhumvit ain't too bad)

LOL. I missed this. American Cheese is a brand and I don't know if there's any cheese in it. It is thought of more as a kids' food and I don't know adults who eat the crap. Same with Cheeze Whiz. I'm not sure there's any real cheese in it.

I'll go with Tillamook Cheddar Cheese as the entry for America. At least that's what I buy.

If you want good cheese or beer in America you have to go to a small indy maker because IMHO the national brands are crap.

Cheers.

So much as I suspected the US is similar to the UK....if you want very good cheese you have to go to a deli or cheese shop in a large town.

Having said that any supermarket in the UK will have a selection of decent cheeses.....even a small corner store will stock half a dozen types....is that the case over the pond?

The potatoes here and imported from China are OK for mash or rhosting but no good for chips, to flowery.

Does anyone know where you can get

New Cheshire potatoes

King Edward

Morris Piper.

Good English potatoes

Or at a pinch Dutch potatoes.

You can buy Bachelor's tinned new potatoes but they are months/years old.

Oh!!

For a month late of new Cheshire's.

Edited by edd

Cheshire cheese with a glass of Port.........wub.png

I like mature cheddar cheese cubes, savoury crackers & pickled onions with my beer...

I have them all here in Amsterdam!
A good stampot is delicious, but you can keep your bitterballen in the Febo automaat thing with the other Dutch junk food.

Cheshire cheese with a glass of Port.........wub.png

I like mature cheddar cheese cubes, savoury crackers & pickled onions with my beer...

I have them all here in Amsterdam!
A good stampot is delicious, but you can keep your bitterballen in the Febo automaat thing with the other Dutch junk food.
Whaaatttt? Dutch cheese along with snackbar food is the absolute best!

BTW Febo sucks, tjakkaaaaaa

Edited by Xriz

Found branston in makro tops and a few tescos... found Picalili in big Tesco in Krabi!!

Other tesco may have. The branston never seems to be on the main shelves in tesco lotus. Each store I've found it in, it's been on Satelite shelves added in open spaces.