Good Place To Buy Hi-fi Equipment In Cm ?

Ricardo

My 20-year-old record-deck has died, no flowers please, so I'm looking for a place here that sells hi-fi equipment, in those old-fashioned stacking towers of individual units. Remember them ?

All these new-fangled all-in-one units, from any super-store, are fine for CDs & cassette-tapes, but they just don't play vinyl, and my last trip to the UK found only a low-quality one-fits-all (or rather - jumps like crazy !) stylus.

Any suggestions ?

Chiangmai is not top for Hifi freaks... Very few shops and limited choice.

I guess the shop mentioned on Prapoklao is Green CD, they have moved near Lanna Hospital , they used to have a decent shop and a good choice of audiophile CD's, and they can order for you what they don't stock. If I remember well, they used to have Rega turntables, needles and tone arms.

I also like to go to visit ST Audio , who sells second hand Hifi, but there also the choice is limited, the owner is very friendly, you can come with your CD's and listen to his stuff.It's in a small soi near Chang Pheuak gate, near the Samsung service center.

Conice is also good but they mostly specialize on NAD, which might be a good choice for an analog LP player, NAD turntables are made by Rega.

The other choice is ... Bangkok ( Hifi center or Fortune ) or E-Bay, I just ordered a vintage Pioneer turntable from the US....

Good luck in your search, hope this helps.

Philippe

Not sure how to advice

but here i go ,

I myself is not very into such stiff .

besid ethe fact that my father love to collect Old classic radio .

Chiangmai is a relatively new Town , and also of the service i limited to the demand .

In your case i would suggest if you can try to repair it .

but of cos search for enough info so you cn have your stuff in trusted hand .. or least with the last hope or bring it back to life yet not worrying that the repair man kill it twice ,

You might wanna go shopping at some of the second hand PAWN SHOP . ALONG SOM PHET . Road .

Is more really ALNE THE ROAD right After CHANG PUEK GATE .

there is at least 5-6 Local PAWN shop . you might get some stuff you need.

SHOP well and BARGAIN .

IF you need to replace your Parts . bangkok might offer you more .

and if you wanna Cut down COST . and get some good stuff .

Go to SINGAPORE .

i have alot of DJ friends in

most using the Brand "TECHNIC " if i am not wrong . there call it Turn TABLE . whhahaha

the player should be much cheaper i assume .

weight the cost . someone is cheaper buying from far -

while sometime is ok buying more expensive but save the time and trouble .

My 20-year-old record-deck has died, no flowers please, so I'm looking for a place here that sells hi-fi equipment, in those old-fashioned stacking towers of individual units. Remember them ?

All these new-fangled all-in-one units, from any super-store, are fine for CDs & cassette-tapes, but they just don't play vinyl, and my last trip to the UK found only a low-quality one-fits-all (or rather - jumps like crazy !) stylus.

Any suggestions ?

I have a good quality turntable, can't remember the brand, that I haven't used for years, have no use for it anymore. I'll be back in Chiang Mai in a few weeks, see if I can find it. It's yours for 2 beers if you want it.

The other choice is ... Bangkok ( Hifi center or Fortune ) or E-Bay, I just ordered a vintage Pioneer turntable from the US....

I just received myEbay order, it took 45 days to arrive from the US , and it is...broken...Poor packaging preparation, tone armbroken in 2 and beyond repair, and some missing parts...

So I guess ebay is not an option either...

Is there anybody selling a used turntable in Chiangmai ?

Thanks,

Phil

• 2 years later...

Whatever you do, I have to say that you should avoid Mr. Balance in Phantip.

I got a bum-steer to this weirdo recently, and got stuck with a huge bill and nothing but BS when I tried to set things right.

Someone else I talked to had a similar experience with this twerp, so it is not just me. :o

-UC

Any suggestions ?

There is a shop in Kad Suan Kaew on the 3rd floor that you get to (or this is my method) by stumbling up and down the "back alleys" going to IT City. As you go down one aisle toward IT City, there are windows on the right and the shop is on the left. Even knowing this, I frequently can't seem to go directly there (probably because I always start at the other side of the building).

Not a large shop, but it has all kinds of vintage gear; that seems to be all he deals in. And the owner builds "new", custom speaker sets from old ones. I find it a great pleasure to just go in and sit and listen to the music he has playing on one of his old systems.

He might have what you are looking for.

Edited by noise

Without a doubt, the place you want is Neo Entertainment, on the fourth floor of Airport Plaza. To give one example of how serious they are about high-end audio and audio-visual systems, I attended a by-invitation-only four-hour seminar there on Sunday given by the editor-in-chief of a leading Thai audio magazine, concerning how to keep your music on a computer without loss of quality compared with CDs (and it was not a simple subject, as it turned out).

I guess the shop mentioned on Prapoklao is Green CD, they have moved near Lanna Hospital , they used to have a decent shop and a good choice of audiophile CD's, and they can order for you what they don't stock. If I remember well, they used to have Rega turntables, needles and tone arms.

I also like to go to visit ST Audio , who sells second hand Hifi, but there also the choice is limited, the owner is very friendly, you can come with your CD's and listen to his stuff.It's in a small soi near Chang Pheuak gate, near the Samsung service center.

Conice is also good but they mostly specialize on NAD, which might be a good choice for an analog LP player, NAD turntables are made by Rega.

Good luck in your search, hope this helps.

Philippe

Philippe, could you be a little more specific with regards to the location of ST Audio? I would like to go there. Thanks so much.

I just received myEbay order, it took 45 days to arrive from the US , and it is...broken...Poor packaging preparation, tone armbroken in 2 and beyond repair, and some missing parts...

So I guess ebay is not an option either...

Is there anybody selling a used turntable in Chiangmai ?

Thanks,

Phil

Just curious, did you have to pay duty or other tax/fees for the shipment?

I visited the shop near Lanna (I marked it on this map) and the guy seemed quite knowledgeable and had very good English.