Buying a dog in Hua Hin for family with children

Chuckles78

I recommend you buy the dog you want, I have been told by a vet in the UK that there is a reason why dogs get dumped and he always told myself and the ex not to take rescue dogs. My wife ignored his advice once and I nearly had my face ripped off by a schizophrenic golden cocker spaniel, be very careful buying cockers as they bred them to make the heads smaller but not the brains and plain coloured ones are prone to going nuts. Here in Thailand we have 2 golden retriever bitches, 3 months old and just over a year old, and these are normally the most recommended breed for families but they can suffer in the heat but we live 700m from the beach and also put a big plastic bath in the garden for them. We opted for bitches as we didn't want our dogs to get involved in the top dog stakes as the alpha dog lives across the road from us and also dogs will scent your garden.

As far as the snakes go I think you will find the mynah birds a better deterrent as they make a hell of a noise and chase the snake around the garden and we even had the sparrows helping to chase a 2m long rat snake away although some locals came and killed it as they wanted to eat it.

Don't buy a dog here, they are all too inbred and will cost you a fortune in vet bills. Worth taking out insurance also as vet bills can be horrendous!

Take a look at the rescue shelters like www.soidog.org and you will almost certainly find a suitable "rescue" dog there that will make you very happy and be with you for years to come. We got 2 (years ago) and they've both been great dogs.

I recommend you buy the dog you want, I have been told by a vet in the UK that there is a reason why dogs get dumped and he always told myself and the ex not to take rescue dogs. My wife ignored his advice once and I nearly had my face ripped off by a schizophrenic golden cocker spaniel, be very careful buying cockers as they bred them to make the heads smaller but not the brains and plain coloured ones are prone to going nuts. Here in Thailand we have 2 golden retriever bitches, 3 months old and just over a year old, and these are normally the most recommended breed for families but they can suffer in the heat but we live 700m from the beach and also put a big plastic bath in the garden for them. We opted for bitches as we didn't want our dogs to get involved in the top dog stakes as the alpha dog lives across the road from us and also dogs will scent your garden.

As far as the snakes go I think you will find the mynah birds a better deterrent as they make a hell of a noise and chase the snake around the garden and we even had the sparrows helping to chase a 2m long rat snake away although some locals came and killed it as they wanted to eat it.

Hope I never need to use your UK vet he sounds like a complete tosser. Absolutely nothing wrong with a rescue dog as long as it goes to a good owner. Badly behaved dogs are usually the result of a badly trained owner.

All you need are a couple of geese. They chase, kill and eat snakes, and if they ever get too unruley you can kill and eat them. :)

You must have well 'ard geese... Never seen ours chase or kill a snake, let alone eat one !!

We do have fewer snakes but pretty sure the geese aren't hunting them down :)

Thanks for the replies.

I'm hesitant of picking up a dog from a shelter as its impossible to know if they have been traumatised in any way and I have 2 newborn children and a 2yr old that I need to think of so I need to be sure of their character and history.

Jack russell sounds good, i had a mixed jack russell/chihuahua in australia, very smart and active dog. Are you in hua hin romeijoe?

I recommend Goldens or Labradors as you have children. None of mine have ever been aggressive towards anyone.

Can they be bought around Hua Hin?

I have no idea. But they are very popular dogs in Thailand so they should be there. Check out the beaches. That is where I am always being asked for pups when they see mine swim and play ball/frisbee. Can't oblige though as I spay/neuter all my dogs.

Extremely poor guidance in respect to rescue dogs. There are zero standards for dog breeders in Thailand and little respect for bloodlines and avoiding inbreeding. Why would it be different for dogs compared to other animals?

The rescue dogs are typically the products of dogs appropriate for Thailand's climate. Dogs with a heavy coat do not do well in Thailand's climate.

There is nothing wrong with a rescue dog if one takes the time to screen the animal and to observe it first. Children have to be educated and trained in their treatment of animals and it is recommended that if you have not done so, that you take the time to teach them to be careful and to not take away food bowls or sneak up on the dog or to pull its tail etc.

please don't adopt an animal if you are only going to be in Thailand for a short while,they are not toys,they should be part of your family.

every week on the face book buy and sell expat sites,ppl are wanting to get rid of their animals because they returning to their home countries,seems kind of cruel to me.

Get a German Shephard if you want a guard dog. Very innately protective, your kids can pull his tail and touch food bowl all they want and get nothing but licks and snuggles.

Can't say so for outsiders, other dogs, or wild animales like snakes, rabbits, and rats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dogs with a heavy coat do not do well in Thailand's climate.

Not really true,The Thai Bangkaew Dog is a native Thai breed and even has an undercoat,i have never understood how a longhaired breed developes

in such a hot country,the Ridgeback seems more logical.

Yes many places to find a dog in Thailand,you can also find pups at the dog shelter.

It is free to go and have a look but a Jack russell also sounds nice.

The Royal dog shelter sounds like a great place to me. I even have a buddy that has found some pups along a back street.

The owners were very glad to give him one of the puppies for free, then he just took it to get the shots, and cleaned up

at a vet place, and has a great little Thailand dog to chase away snakes and eat other bugs found in his yard.

Try to remember that Thailand is not Australia, or Canada or USA, and that it is not the same need to have to buy a

dog here. Of course if you just have to spend money to buy a dog, that is up to you.

Geezer

• 1 month later...

We are still looking, we have decided on two beagles so if you know of any wink.png cheers.

First of all, best of luck in your search. We have two dogs that we love, and when they bark at different sounds or smells around the house (especially at night), my TGF often scolds them but I usually say, "Good boy!" (they're just doing their job- taking care of us and the house). So, I agree with your thinking, and understand you must be careful about which breed (or type) you bring into a home with small kids...

In another life, I had a brother-in-law who had a beagle and then later bought a basset hound to keep him company. I am here to tell you: I thought the beagle did an awful lot of extracurricular yapping and howling before his basset hound brother came along, but I was wrong. Together, they put forth an unbelievable daily racket which I found unendurable. Ok, maybe all beagles and b-hounds are not the same, but I'm 'jes saying... not sure if I'd want to take the chance, especially if it might cause any problems with the neighbors.

Of course, everybody takes care to make a good decision about something like this. I just thought to give you my 2 cents worth if it could be of any help. Again, best of luck!

PS- one of our dogs is a 5-kilo shih tzu/poodle and his brother is a 15-kilo funky mongrel (a gift from my TGF's mama). Both are affectionate and super good-natured (environment breeds behavior) The little guy is the leader; always on his toes, protecting. He does yap a bit (girlfriend keeps him in line), but the bigger guy is quieter by nature though he has a mighty bark which he unleashes 1 or 2 at a time, after being cued by the leader... it's a good, workable arrangement.

post-72929-0-48234000-1451971978_thumb.j

• 3 weeks later...

If you are still looking and are not set on the beagles please go to this place http://www.ilikehuahin.com/tan-diau-pet-hospital/ and have a look. They have many dogs and puppies to choose from. They are all free and will all have their shots and will be spayed or neutered for free. If you have Facebok you can contact this lady https://www.facebook.com/janekey1947?ref=ts&fref=ts who does an amazing job of rescuing and finding homes for dogs and puppies. Please seriously consider these options. Thailand has to many dogs that need homes. If you are concerned about a dogs past then please think about rescuing a puppy that has no bad past. My wife and I have rescued dogs ourselves and every dog we have had has been very good. The dogs we fostered and found homes for have turned out to be very good companions for their new owners. The lady named Jane from that Facebook page will work with you and your family in finding the right dog. Her phone number is 0830404097. Please consider this option and save a dogs life.

Edited by wook