SETV questions

Haven't been on a tourist visa for some time, and need to check a few things for a friend --

1. Are single entry tourist visas still available for US citizens at Vientiane and Savannakhet (my tentative understanding is that the METV is not?)?

2. Need to show proof of anything (finances, hotel reservations, onward flight tix)?

3. Any limits on back-to-back SETVs?

Thanks!

1. Yes for a single entry tourist visa. No METV.

2. No

3. It was 3 back to back for a 2 entry visa and then they would do a single entry at times instead of the 4th. Not sure what it will be for a single but I would guess 3 or 4.

4 SETV is the maximum and after 4 SETV it has to be METV or None Immigrant visa.

The policy just went into affect yesterday in India and Bangladesh but Indians with 4 SETV are still able to apply for a METV but no SETV or visa on arrival.

" 4 SETV is the maximum "

does this only apply to India and Bangladesh or to everybody and over how long a period? the life of the 10 year passport?

and didn't you also write that your friend from Belgium has had no difficulty getting many SETV's with three monthly intervals?

Edited by Asiantravel

4 SETV is the maximum and after 4 SETV it has to be METV or None Immigrant visa.

The policy just went into affect yesterday in India and Bangladesh but Indians with 4 SETV are still able to apply for a METV but no SETV or visa on arrival.

does this only apply to India and Bangladesh or to everybody and over how long a period? the life of the 10 year passport?

and didn't you also write that your friend from Belgium has had no difficulty getting many SETV's with three monthly intervals?

Hi - My Belgian Friend has lots of cash in his account so he could go on for life as he doesn't work in Thailand and only comes for fun mainly. He just bought himself cash last week a Ford Ranger and Kawasaki Ninja.

I think 4 SETV is maximum for anyone on back to back and one person on TV actually posted that he was refused another visa and he had four. A Romanian had posted yesterday that the Thai Embassy refused him a SETV because he had three already and he even got advise to fly on a 15 days VE stamp which I would not recommend because the Thai Embassy says no already so I wouldn't take the risk to get not entered into Thailand.

I think honestly after 4 SETV I think the only option will be METV or a None Immigrant visa.

I am sure the postings by next month will increase when people that had 3 or 4 tourist visa already will get rejected by any consulate or embassy.

• Like 1

I think 4 SETV is maximum for anyone on back to back and one person on TV actually posted that he was refused another visa and he had four. A Romanian had posted yesterday that the Thai Embassy refused him a SETV because he had three already and he even got advise to fly on a 15 days

Did he got the 3 SETV from the same Embassy in a row? What for those who have already several DETV in their passport and ask for a SETV?

Edited by alocacoc

Can probably get more SETVs by mixing up the consulates you apply at to 'break the chain', and/or renewing your passport (it'll be mostly full from the one page stickers by then anyway). That's how it worked before with double entry tourist visas.

Yes, jspill, that worked before. Who knows if this still doe's. I will try next month to get a METV in my home country. Tomorrow i fly. No idea if i will get it. Cash in bank account and the other requirements aren't a problem. Not at all. But i don't work. May be this could be a deal-breaker. My income comes from dividends and coupons from Bonds. Right now, 1 DETV from my home-country and 3 DETV from Vientiane in the current passport. But still 18 pages left since it's a 48 page passport.

Should i renew the passport? But then, for what official reason? The passport looks new and still for many years valid. It would pisses me off when they even refuse a SETV.

When I renewed I wasn't asked to give an official reason. Have read that people renewed theirs many years in advance.

I doubt they'd refuse you and send it back, your physical appearance could have changed or you could have a different definition of 'wear and tear' to them even though it still looks new.

Yes, jspill, that worked before. Who knows if this still doe's. I will try next month to get a METV in my home country. Tomorrow i fly. No idea if i will get it. Cash in bank account and the other requirements aren't a problem. Not at all. But i don't work. May be this could be a deal-breaker. My income comes from dividends and coupons from Bonds. Right now, 1 DETV from my home-country and 3 DETV from Vientiane in the current passport. But still 18 pages left since it's a 48 page passport.

Should i renew the passport? But then, for what official reason? The passport looks new and still for many years valid. It would pisses me off when they even refuse a SETV.

I wouldn't worry so much. I have a portfolio account in Singapore and also get my dividends plus I hold shares in a Singapore company which pays only dividends.

I think if you ca show that you have the money in the ac or if possible just put a bit more in, you will be fine.

What national are you?

• Like 2

Please let us know how it goes when you apply for the METV.

Note: they (USA) didn't ask me "why" when I renewed my passport. Granted, I only had a few pages left, but could have stretched it another year plus.

When I moved the stamps, the Thai form at immigration had the "why" question. If was going to do this with a fairly new passport, I think I would make the swap while outside Thailand, to avoid that question, and so that even the last stay/type is not present in the new one. In the future, immigration might start including more info in that notation which could cause problems.

MobileContent, just sent you a pm.

JackThompson, i will. I will call next week the consulate and ask them about the requirements. It might help to add a letter of explanation to the paperwork about the income of my money. I did this last time as well as they advised me to do that.

Last time when i renewed my passport, they asked me for the reason, because there was still 6 empty pages left. I told them, that i plan to visit several Asian countries and wouldn't want to renew my passport while abroad on travel, which was indeed my real intention.

Edited by alocacoc

Hi all,

I'm planning to spend three months travelling around Thailand in 2016, and would like to confirm my assumptions are correct.

In the UK I will apply for a SETV. I will be able to stay for 60 days, and I should leave near to the end and visit a neighbouring country. After spending a few days in the neighbouring country, I can then re-enter Thailand and get another 30 day tourist visa. Is this correct? Would I need to provide any additional like proof of funds? Just planning ahead!

Thanks in advance.

Hi all,

I'm planning to spend three months travelling around Thailand in 2016, and would like to confirm my assumptions are correct.

In the UK I will apply for a SETV. I will be able to stay for 60 days, and I should leave near to the end and visit a neighbouring country. After spending a few days in the neighbouring country, I can then re-enter Thailand and get another 30 day tourist visa. Is this correct? Would I need to provide any additional like proof of funds? Just planning ahead!

Thanks in advance.

You can obtain a SETV which will provide an initial 60 day stay which can be extended for 30 days at any immigration office for a fee of 1900 Bht.

There is no need to leave the country.

As said can extend the 60 days to 90 from within Thailand, e.g. at Chaeng Wattana immigration Bangkok, for 1900 Baht. Unless you wanted to leave. You wouldn't get asked to show additional proof of funds unless you'd done that multiple times in a row, say 4-6 times, no exact number.

Edited by jspill