'Bike for Dad' day may be declared national holiday

webfact

Another public holiday. Ahh so all of the wealthy can have another day off, but the poor who need to work to survive have to keep going. dec 5 is enough

Wouldn't it be automatic overtime for all those that have to work?

I don't get it. Where's the correlation? Cycling and improved health.

Possibly the most hazardous activity to undertake, cycling in Thailand. Encourage well meaning citizens to expose themselves to the second most dangerous roads in the world. Surely there are fundamental transport issues to address before promoting cycling. <deleted>

Possibly the most hazardous activity to undertake, cycling in Thailand. Encourage well meaning citizens to expose themselves to the second most dangerous roads in the world. Surely there are fundamental transport issues to address before promoting cycling. <deleted>

have another large popcorn and soda, i manage to ride daily in thailand without issue and have been doing so for years.

find another excuse to avoid cycling, that one doesn't cut it.

Why Bike for Dad or Mom ???

Why not walk for Dad? Pick up trash for Dad? Pubic service for Dad? Donate to the temple for Dad? Plant a tree for Dad ? How about yoga for Dad..

Whats with biking?

Biking

Biking

Biking

Why all this attention on biking?

Edited by fforest1

Why not walk for Dad? Pick up trash for Dad? Pubic service for Dad? Donate to the temple for Dad? Plant a tree for Dad ? How about yoga for Dad..

Whats with biking?

Biking

Biking

Biking

Because Uncle Too is very into biking, so obviously so should everyone else.

"Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha handed yellow shirts to ministers at the meeting"

At last. Secure in his dominance, the big guy finally shows his hand unashamedly in a way he wouldn't have dared a year or so ago. I wonder if this would make Suthep smile?

Isn't yellow the colour of the King ?

Given all considerations though should some discretion not have been applied ?

Sure, if reconciliation was the goal.

-Cycling is popular with the younger Royals.

-Cycling is the fastest growing sport in Thailand.

-The PM cycles.

-Cycling events take place almost every day in Thailand.

-Cycling is great for health, and for maintaining a healthy weight.

-Cycling is environmentally friendly.

-Most families in Thailand own a push bike of some kind.

-Thousands of younger school children still cycle to school.

-Farmers and salespeople use bikes in the countryside.

The planned event is really just to show support for HM The King. Every provincial town is holding a ride, starting at 3pm. Numbers in the provinces are not limited, but are in Bangkok. The distance is only 20k, which even you could probably manage.

Whats with biking?

Biking

Biking

Biking

I think there was a Run for Mum the week before the bike event last time round.

Not ANOTHER extra holiday! Thailand already has more regular holidays than any other country in the World except one. This year several extra holidays were already declared if memory serves me. Student class time has already been greatly reduced; adding more holidays isn't going to help them learn anything when they are in class so infrequently. But, maybe that's the idea.

Most the holidays are in school holiday time anyway (April, October)

I hope it is a holiday. I watched bike for mom and really enjoyed it. I love cycling. The concert put on at the end had some beautiful music. I wish bike for dad goodluck. I only wish I could take part, but I'm not that healthy enough to cycle all that way. Just cycling to my local market is enough exercise for me. I wonder if there are safe cycling routes in Bangkok? I know the airport has a cycling track and big parks too but is there anywhere else you can go?

I hope it is a holiday. I watched bike for mom and really enjoyed it. I love cycling. The concert put on at the end had some beautiful music. I wish bike for dad goodluck. I only wish I could take part, but I'm not that healthy enough to cycle all that way. Just cycling to my local market is enough exercise for me. I wonder if there are safe cycling routes in Bangkok? I know the airport has a cycling track and big parks too but is there anywhere else you can go?

Queen Sirikit Park Asok Bangkok (near Asok BTS/MRT)- Large circular bicycle track an separate walk/jog track

Lumphini Park (near Sala Daeng BTS/MRT) - Long, circuitous cycle/walk/jog tracks

Khaosan Road/Temple Area - Several kilometers of separate, roadside bicycle lanes

Notes:

1) To hide the New Google Maps large Query/Info display box covering the upper left of the map, click on the little left-arrow at the box's upper-right.

2) BTS allows non-folding bikes. MRT, Airport Link and riverboats - folding bikes only

Good Luck getting to any of the above from wherever you reside!

Edited by MaxYakov

Its a good event....great idea BUT could they have picked a worse time to hold it? 3:00 pm on FRIDAY afternoon!!!! I am glad I don't work in Bangkok and commute north home to where I live. Its going to be a car park on the road.....isnt it?

Edited by Yooyung

Its a good event....great idea BUT could they have picked a worse time to hold it? 3:00 pm on FRIDAY afternoon!!!! I am glad I don't work in Bangkok and commute north home to where I live. Its going to be a car park on the road.....isnt it?

Gridlock - the safest Bangkok cycling environ, in IMHO.

Get those cars and buses stopped, but watch those pesky motorbikes!

A collision at road could ruin your entire day - Max Yakov*

* = But unashamedly ripped off from (allegedly) Thucydides

Edited by MaxYakov

Queen Sirikit Park Asok Bangkok (near Asok BTS/MRT)- Large circular bicycle track an separate walk/jog track

Lumphini Park (near Sala Daeng BTS/MRT) - Long, circuitous cycle/walk/jog tracks

Khaosan Road/Temple Area - Several kilometers of separate, roadside bicycle lanes

Notes:

1) To hide the New Google Maps large Query/Info display box covering the upper left of the map, click on the little left-arrow at the box's upper-right.

2) BTS allows non-folding bikes. MRT, Airport Link and riverboats - folding bikes only

Good Luck getting to any of the above from wherever you reside!

Thankyou so much for this information. Hopefully in the future there will be cycle lanes in the city centre. On a recent visit to Belgium I was impressed by their bicycle lane system. Of course this is Thailand, but with some streets it could work if those streets banned motorcycles using the bicycle lane. It's worth a try at the very least.

• 2 weeks later...

It would be nice, and sensible, to make an early announcement in order people can make various arrangements for banking, travel etc. but that almost guarantees a last minute decision. Forward planning and thoughtfulness isn't a big deal here.

If and when the decision is made and a 4 day holiday, at least, is on the cards the Minister of Tourism, will leap into action with her pre-prepared imaginary figures on how many people will be travelling and how much they will spend.

Edited by NongKhaiKid