Bangkok Is Voted Best City In Asia

Jai Dee

Bangkok was voted best city in Asia

Mr. Issara Sunthornwat (อิสรา สุนทรวัฒน์), the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) Spokesman, revealed that Travel + Leisure, the famous American magazine printed 900,000 copies per day, made a survey poll among travelers and worldwide readers to do a ranking of popular cities in 2006 or World’s Best Award 2006. The poll was made by voting via a website and answering questionnaires and the magazine has four criteria to do a ranking of popular cities consisting of population, culture, custom and worthiness to spend money.

The results have shown that Bangkok was the third most popular city in the world, scoring 86.11 percent, and the best in Asia and was inferior only to Florence and Rome, two big cities in Italy.

Meanwhile, Chiang Mai Province was voted the fifth most popular city in the world and second in Asia.

Mr. Apirak Kosayothin <อภิรักษ์ โกษะโยธิน>, Bangkok governor, will today receive the award ‘Asia’s Best City 2006’ from Ms. Nancy Novogrod, an executive of Travel + Leisure, who will be on hand to present the award.

The Bangkok spokesman also said Bangkok is a well-known city among tourists considering it has received the award for the fifth successive years. The city was famous for beautiful scenery, outstanding culture and delicious food.

For the results of Top 10 Cities Overall 2006 are as follows:

Florence 87.09%, Rome 86.15%, Bangkok 86.11%, Sydney 85.94%, Chiang Mai 85.62%, Cape Town 85.39%, Buenos Aires 85.03%, New York 84.75%, Beirut 84.38% และ San Francisco 84.29%.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 06 October 2006

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bangkok was voted best city in Asia

The Bangkok spokesman also said Bangkok is a well-known city among tourists considering it has received the award for the fifth successive years. The city was famous for beautiful scenery, outstanding culture and delicious food, and beautiful women.

For the results of Top 10 Cities Overall 2006 are as follows:

Florence 87.09%, Rome 86.15%, Bangkok 86.11%, Sydney 85.94%, Chiang Mai 85.62%, Cape Town 85.39%, Buenos Aires 85.03%, New York 84.75%, Beirut 84.38% และ San Francisco 84.29%.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 06 October 2006

Beirut? Why not Baghdad? Maybe they've more rubble in Beirut?

No London. No Paris??

900,000 copies per day is 328 million copies a year...I don't think so.

should be per month on the US version of the main magazine <according to their circulation pages they have a paid circulation of about 1,000,000 per issue.

Then again I don't know if/how many magazines the produce outside of th US with th same name ...or the circulation of all the other magazines in their portfolio <T&L Family ... T&L Golf ... the AmEx only ones .... etc

Edited by jdinasia

Ludicrous. Simply ludicrous. Beirut and Chiang Mai and 900k daily etc . . . more holes than in Swiss cheese.

Didn't we have this same survey with the same ridiculous results a few months back, which caused quite a bit of humour and consternation maing the TV members? It even had Beirut and CM as well . . .

Bangkok named Asia's favourite tourist destination

BANGKOK: -- The city of Bangkok has been placed third in the World's Best Awards 2006, ranked as the world's third favourite city for tourism--after Italy's Florence and Rome, respectively.

It's a repeat honour for Bangkok. The City of Angels copped the American award as Asia's best every year for the four previous years.

Bangkok governor Apirak Kosayodhin received the "Asia’s Best City 2006" award from America's Travel + Leisure magazine on Friday.

More than that, Thailand's northern city of Chiang Mai was voted the world's fifth favourite tourist city and second in Asia. The magazine conducted surveys of tourists and its readers through its website and questionnaires.

Criteria used to choose which cities are the best in the world include the categories of people, culture, arts and value for money.

Isara Sunthornwat, spokesman for the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA), said receiving the award for the fifth consecutive year proved that the city of Bangkok is recognised by tourists around the world in terms of beautiful landscape and unique culture.

It shows that Thailand is ready to be the hub of Asia's tourism, he said.

One of the world's leading consumer travel magazines, Travel + Leisure magazine publishes 900,000 copies each month.

--TNA 2006-10-06

Ludicrous. Simply ludicrous. Beirut and Chiang Mai and 900k daily etc . . . more holes than in Swiss cheese.

Didn't we have this same survey with the same ridiculous results a few months back, which caused quite a bit of humour and consternation maing the TV members? It even had Beirut and CM as well . . .

love it henry, :D

keep the boys honest mate. :D

keep boring it up them. :D

cheers me old cobber. :o

as a lot of punters are crying about the visa rules and planning to leave bangkok it gets voted 3 rd in the world for tourists. :D

for all the complaints we have been reading about los one thing shines brightly.

the tourists cant get enough of it myself included. :D

for every punter that desides to leave there will 10 people in line waiting to take his place . :D

you little beauty bangkok, and GOOD MORNING CHAING MAI. :o

as a lot of punters are crying about the visa rules and planning to leave bangkok it gets voted 3 rd in the world for tourists. :D

for all the complaints we have been reading about los one thing shines brightly.

for every punter that desides to leave there will 10 people in line waiting to take his place . :D

Terry,

For those of us that live in Chiangmai, we can understand the results of the vote, but in reality we are not very happy about it!

The expats that live in Chiangmai like it the way it is today or maybe even yesterday, we don't want anymore tourist or expats moving into our town.

It is nice being recognized, but in reality I kind of liked being anonymous........

Beirut 84.38%

:o

Before the Israelis started bombing???

Beirut has been popular with the Arabs, no visas required

but very few westerners ventured there even before the trouble.

it must be that je ne sais qua of a million odd bomblets or so, left behind by israel, that gives Beitut that added charm :D

Terry,

For those of us that live in Chiangmai, we can understand the results of the vote, but in reality we are not very happy about it!

The expats that live in Chiangmai like it the way it is today or maybe even yesterday, we don't want anymore tourist or expats moving into our town.

It is nice being recognized, but in reality I kind of liked being anonymous........

bob,

im hearing you loud and clear as i was first in chang mai in 1988 so i know first hand how tourism has changed that city.

there's one thing in life we can not change and thats tourism drastically changing the face of thailand.

but when it comes down to it we where all tourists at one stage.

some stayed and some went but the word got out about the brilliant los.

there's only one thing we can do, and that is to adapt with the changes and enjoy the positive aspects of it as there are a few. ( better infrastructure is one).

if we fight it we just make our selves sad, as we cant change a thing. :D

get ready bob as more punters are heading your way. :D

cheers friend :D

I vote that Bangkok IS the best city in Asia. Any other candidates for the title?

Name them!

dont be silly george as thats bloody impossible isn't it. :D

bangkok is peerless. :D

for one to suggest there is one, he would surely be a recalcitrant. :D

when it comes to bangkok i am a self confessed pollyanna and proud to be called one. :D

you sound like you could also be a pollyanna george. :D

cheers friend :o

I vote that Bangkok IS the best city in Asia. Any other candidates for the title?

Name them!

Love these positive threads, been too much bitching about visas lately.

Bangkok IS the best city in the world. The Thais are the best people in the world.

I love change and as I am getting on a bit now, I love the comforts of a modern city.

:D:o:D

I dont think the average American would be able to tell you much about anything outside of there state let alone outside there country.

Hardly a truer word has ever been typed. In the US, though, "there" is spelled "their" in this context. US citizens, in my experience, depend on their media and family for most of their opinions.

I dont think the average American would be able to tell you much about anything outside of there state let alone outside there country.

Hardly a truer word has ever been typed. In the US, though, "there" is spelled "their" in this context. US citizens, in my experience, depend on their media and family for most of their opinions.

I apologise for my dislexia hunter and tall travel. Anyway you can allways tell a level headed mid- American as thet dribble from both sides of THEIR mouth.

Please feel free to correct any spelling or grammatical errors.