Thai immigration arrests North Koreans for illegal entry

webfact

North Koreans arrested for illegal entry

62-wpcf_728x410.jpg

NONG KHAI: -- Seven North Korean citizens were arrested in Nong Khai province Tuesday night after they tried to smuggle into Thailand from Laos on board a long-tail boat from Laos.

Immigration police chief in Nong Khai Pol Col Panlop Suriytakul Na Ayutthaya said a joint team of immigration and local police and the Mekong River patrol marines was on a patrol along the Mekong River when a long-tail boat with about eight people was spotted heading towards the Thai river bank at Phrao village in Muang district of Nong Khai.

But as soon as the authorities shouted for the boat driver to stop, he jumped into the river and swam away leaving his passengers on board.

All on board the boat also jumped off in bid to escape.

However they were all apprehended.

They are four men and three women.

They later told police they are North Koreans. They are aged between 22-75 years old.

They said they had escaped from North Korea to China first and later smuggle into Laos by bus before taking a boat to cross the river to Thailand.

They said they spent five days after escaping out of China to Thailand.

Police said they found Thai banknotes worth 15,000 in their possession.

Immigration police said all would be sent back and were asking help from South Korean embassy to communicate with these illegal migrants.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/north-koreans-arrested-for-illegal-entry

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-11-18

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If they're going to send these poor people anywhere send them to South Korea.

If they are sending them back to North Korea I doubt very much whether asking the South Korean embassy to help will work!

Edited by JAG

And with the well known Thai welcoming spirit, off they go back to N. Korea, as always.sad.png

South Korea could always strike an agreement with the Thai govt to take in these and future North Koreans, but they did not give such an undertaking.

We should then ask, "Why not?".

And with the well known Thai welcoming spirit, off they go back to N. Korea, as always.sad.png

Minus the 15,000 baht, of course.

coffee1.gif

The article does make it sound like having a bit of cash on them was a crime doesn't it? = They probably had 300,000 baht on them, but only 5% of that was reported.

I guess the boat driver got away, though I'm sure that 75 year old refugee is a criminal of the highest order.

I bet TAT will include them in their tourist figures nonetheless.

--------------

I just watched The Way Back (Ed Harris movie) last night on Netflix. It's about some prisoners escaping a WW2 gulag in Siberia. Not the best movie ever, but it does make one think about the plight of refugees.

Edited by jaywalker

It is the informal policy of Thailand to deport North Koreans to South Korea.

http://www.hurights.or.jp/archives/focus/section2/2007/06/destination-thailand-the-case-of-north-korean-asylum-seekers.html

The article above is somewhat dated, but I believe that the policy remains unchanged.

Traditionally that has been the case, off to S. K. but who knows with the new and shifting national alliences it wil be interesting to see where they go. They recently sent 2 U.N .recognized political refugees to Red China, democracy activists no less.

Edited by daoyai

South Korea could always strike an agreement with the Thai govt to take in these and future North Koreans, but they did not give such an undertaking.

We should then ask, "Why not?".

It is well known that South Korea accepts all North Korean defectors, after screening them to ensure they aren't spies being planted. If there is a country that doesn't want a formal agreement I assume it is Thailand.

Minus the 15,000 baht, of course.

coffee1.gif

The article does make it sound like having a bit of cash on them was a crime doesn't it? = They probably had 300,000 baht on them, but only 5% of that was reported.

I guess the boat driver got away, though I'm sure that 75 year old refugee is a criminal of the highest order.

I bet TAT will include them in their tourist figures nonetheless.

--------------

I just watched The Way Back (Ed Harris movie) last night on Netflix. It's about some prisoners escaping a WW2 gulag in Siberia. Not the best movie ever, but it does make one think about the plight of refugees.

"I bet TAT will include them in their tourist figures nonetheless."

55555555! Good one.

http://www.hurights.or.jp/archives/focus/section2/2007/06/destination-thailand-the-case-of-north-korean-asylum-seekers.html

The article above is somewhat dated, but I believe that the policy remains unchanged.

Traditionally that has been the case, off to S. K. but who knows with the new and shifting national alliences it wil be interesting to see where they go. They recently sent 2 U.N .recognized political refugees to Red China, democracy activists no less.

Where or what is Red China?

Hello International Incident waiting to happen... South Korea accepts these folks however North Korea then makes stand that these folks are wanted back in NK and that they are illegally being detained by SK and that unless they are repatriated NK might have to act.. nothing good will eventuate here.... sure dont want to see them go back to NK however as I think the bell would be ringing for them....hope Thai authorities have enough sense to also suppress their names as otherwise their families back in NK will suffer ......

15,000 baht.

Not even enough to bribe an immigration officer to let one of them enter the country.

that was probably their downfall ....

didnt bring enough cash ...

funny how the boat driver/human trafficker and 7 refugees jumped into the water to escape

and every single one was caught except the .................wait.....oho

Where or what is Red China?

and the irony is that most people don't know that the colour red is just a very popular colour in China.

(is it my pc or TV's that keeps underlining words which are correctly spelt?)

and I wonder if they were really just passing through on their way to relatives in another country. The Thais would never think to offer assistance. Also, why didn't they claim asylum? I think even Thailand is signatory to certain international agreements.

The aim of these North Koreans is invariably to make their way to the South Korean Embassy in Bangkok. Worst possible scenario is they are captured in Laos - there they will spend some time in the really rotten prison for foreigners before being sent back to North Korea to a certain death. Laos is close to North Korea ideologically.

Getting caught in China is unsure - they can be sent back but there seems to be at least some chance of being allowed to stay as there are some north Koreans living in China.

Getting caught in Thailand is usually not as bad - although Thailand is not a signatory to many international agreements, generally speaking if they are caught they have a chance of the South Korean embassy claiming them by offering them citizenship or laissez passer papers.

Oh dear; poor buggers will find themselves being handed back to certain death !

Why do you think so?

Prison term maybe.....

There is also a lot North Koreans who escaped and later went back to North Korea....The regime always makes a big show of it let them tell in TV how bad it is in the West and how happy they are to be back in paradise NK.....

They wont be sent to N. Korea.....There is a vast network in place, an underground railroad. I just think the Thai's should have just kept this out of the press. Waving a red flag kind off thing.

Pray they are given asylum in S. Korea. Certain death awaits them if sent back to the North.

Jail time and a kicking is more likely these days. The economy and food situation is improving and the DPRK authorities generally just aren't as bothered about things like this as they uzed to be.

Pray they are given asylum in S. Korea. Certain death awaits them if sent back to the North.

Jail time and a kicking is more likely these days. The economy and food situation is improving and the DPRK authorities generally just aren't as bothered about things like this as they uzed to be.

Actually I read from great improvements and a middle class forming. Of course from their level an increase of 20% is still not much. But it seems the fatty is doing better than his dad.