More Free Advice Pleasssssssssseeee

mike1963

Hi moving to los early next year

Is my UK driving licence ok to use on a permanent basis or do I have to get a Thai equivalent

When setting up a hot mail type account who do you favour eg gmail/ hotmail/yahoo/others - your good /bad stories please

PO boxes - good/bad

Finally(well for now) under new visa rules can you still apply for the 12 month ext married to a Thai national visa in Phuket or can you now only do this in person in Bangkok(previously I believed you could apply elsewhere eg Phuket and they then sent it to head office Bangkok)

Thsanks guys

Mike

:o

UK driving licence is NOT valid for driving in Thailand AT ALL!!!

You MUST get an International Driving Permit (from the AA or RAC) to be legal, the IDP will allow you to use your UK licence for up to 90 days (clock restarts every time you leave the country).

Thai licence easy to get, and with an IDP you don't need to take the driving test (you do need a non-immigrant visa of some sort, tourist visa no can do) :o

NOTE. It has been reported that some insurance companies will baulk at payment if you don't have a Thai licence (big name rental cars will be OK).

I NEVER trust my personal communications to a web-based email system, you never know who's reading it.

Edited by Crossy

I NEVER trust my personal communications to a web-based email system, you never know who's reading it.

That's why I set up our university e-mail server to use https (SSL). Wonder why the other big e-mail services don't do that (possibly speed issues). Or at least give you the option to use SSL.

Re e mail just wanted to get an address sorted before I go as I will have to cancel my subs here who would you favour in Thailand or no real pref

If you're using a pop3 account now have a look at www.hotpop.com, free pop3 servers (and outgoing smtp). If you really want web-based try UK2's (www.uk2.net) free mail. I'd choose these over the common hotmail etc. only because they are less well known and thus (IMHO) less likely to be targetted by the bad guys.

If you decide you want to go hotmail, do not mention Thailand. You get 25M storage and must log in every 30 days or you lose the lot. If you use different countries you get up to 2 gig storage if you use the new hotmail beta GUI. No ned to log in all the time.

Gmail is 2 gig, Yahoo is 1gig for most countries.

Hi moving to los early next year

Is my UK driving licence ok to use on a permanent basis or do I have to get a Thai equivalent

When setting up a hot mail type account who do you favour eg gmail/ hotmail/yahoo/others - your good /bad stories please

PO boxes - good/bad

Finally(well for now) under new visa rules can you still apply for the 12 month ext married to a Thai national visa in Phuket or can you now only do this in person in Bangkok(previously I believed you could apply elsewhere eg Phuket and they then sent it to head office Bangkok)

Thsanks guys

Mike

:o

To answer your ext' question see my latest post today

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=87183

geoffphuket