Scam : 3 000 Baths to help Farang (Emergency Passport)

Alexjou123

Hello everybody

Yesterday at 18:00 (06:00 PM), close to Terminal 21 on Sukhumvit Road intersection with Sukhumvit Soi 19.

A withe guy, 50 years old, between 1,85 meters and 1,90 meters, grey hair, black shirt with blue and red writings logo on his right side, told us a thief stole is bag with all inside (Passport, money,...) Bla ... Bla...

" His name " was " Marteen Hackel " or it sounds like that (I am not a native English speaker). He said he comes from " Australia ".

He absolutely needed to go to the Australian Embassy " tomorrow " (Nov 19th, 2015 at 08:00 AM). To get an urgent Passport, so he absolutely needed 3 000 Baths. He was almost crying. He insisted to get money and promised Bla.. Bla ... He went to Police ... Bla.. Bla ... Can't get money from Western Union because no passport Bla.. Bla ..

My wife and I had heard about this type of scams from "Farang".

But he really really seemed in trouble. So I made an appointment with him at 07:00 this morning (November 19th, 2015) to meet him downstairs at Nana Bts Station (Sukhumvit Soi 11 side). We explained to him we will go with him at the Australian embassy (not far from Lumpini Park), by Bts and we will pay the 3 000 Baths to provide him with is emergency Passport to make him to go home.

He rephrased what we told to him and he promised to be on time at the appointment at Nana Bts station.

Today we wait 35 minutes at the Bts Nana station he didn't come. We were looking for him downstairs every entrances inside and outside the station.

We canceled this morning all we have to do, to help him...

It is probably a scam. But we just imagined it can be true (compassion and wanted to help). So that's why I wanted to go with him at the Australia embassy and not give him the money like that. He was very credible.

It is very sad...

Of course, I did not loose money, I loose time.

But the worse, in this world, dark period and obscurantism, real people in difficulty will need real help... It is very difficult to trust anyone...

It is our future to loose compassion, our humanity, and to live without feelings, without friendship, without compassion and so on. We (my wife and I) do not want this !

Hey " Marteen Hackel ", they are people in need, what a shame no to respect them, and try to use compassion. One day, it could be you !!! For real this time !!! Not sure you will find to guys like us !!!

From two French guys.

God bless you all !!!

P.S. : Naturally the guy was also not at the Australian Embassy at 08:00 AM - 08:30

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Compassion is good, but this is a stereotype of a scam.

Turning to arbitrary strangers on public street, forget it.

The only credible part of the story is, that "Martin Hackl" could be an Austrian name wink.png

Having lived in a big city for more than 30 years I heard so many variations of these stories.

Point him to police to make a report and then go to his embassy where they will tell him how to continue.

Then go your way.

I have had way more foreigners try to scam me than Thai people (contrary to the stereotype). As I work in an area with many tourists its fairly common to be approached with a sob story by foreigners looking for money. Usually single men. As a rule I keep walking and ignore. Sad but its safer that way...

The only credible part of the story is, that "Martin Hackl" could be an Austrian name wink.png

Having lived in a big city for more than 30 years I heard so many variations of these stories.

Point him to police to make a report and then go to his embassy where they will tell him how to continue.

Then go your way.

Your post lost all credibility as you cannot tell the difference between Austria and Australia which may not be in same continent. wink.png

this is great.....give him 3000 BATHS and he will be fully clean!!!!! some farangs in Thailand get very, very dirty....maybe 3000 not enough. haha

99.9% scam, yes.

you did the right thing, and next time take his picture, video, and then post to youtube...

amazingly, they may become shy...

Edited by puukao

Well done....you handled the situation absolutely A1...I will remember to do it the same way should I find myself confronted....please do not let it put you off trying to be of help to people,..... your type is badly needed in today's world.

Then go your way.

Your post lost all credibility as you cannot tell the difference between Austria and Australia which may not be in same continent. wink.png

I think it is you who loose credibility for a rubbish post. He was doing the best he can and being French and not a naturally English speaker, guess like you, Austria and Australia can be confusing. All credit to the guy, at least he had some compassion.

The same thing happens on dating sites - except of course there it's (alleged) ladies with sob stories. While the OP did the perfect thing for a live situation, the only way out on dating sites is to state that "my number one rule is to never send money to somebody I haven't met personally" and stick with it, regardless of how heartbreaking the story develops (and those scammers are pretty good!!)

Then go your way.

I think it is you who loose credibility for a rubbish post. He was doing the best he can and being French and not a naturally English speaker, guess like you, Austria and Australia can be confusing. All credit to the guy, at least he had some compassion.

You're right. I did "lose" my credibility with my a-hole like post although it was directed at 2nd post and not OP. Are you saying KhunBENQ is also a French?

Then go your way.

It clearly shows at the Vienna airport:

post-8625-0-42837700-1447929926_thumb.jp

Many years ago (nearly 30...) I was working at a travel agency in BKK. One day an Egyptian back packer came in to buy a ticket back to Cairo. He was short about $50 and had no way to get the money. He asked if I could give him the ticket and promised to send me the money once he arrive back home. I decided to take the chance and pay the balance for him out of my pocket.

About a month later I received one of those big envelopes (for greeting cards). In it was a Thank You card with a $50 note in it.

So don't lose hope and trust. There ARE some good people in real need for help. I think the way you dealt with this case ie offer to go to the embassy with him was very clever. Same as some people buy food for begging children instead of just giving them money. Serves the REAL purpose of the needy person without exploiting the helper.

You are a nice guy OP. Next time ask him for some collateral to assure his presence at the meetup. A quick photo perhaps. Certainly a true victim in need would not protest having a quick photo taken. Would have been nice to post his pic here.

It's a bit rich when you talk about losing credibility. FYI, Australia IS a continent, and Austria is in Europe. May not be indeed.

Si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses.facepalm.gif

Had a similar experience about 4 years ago near Ari Station. Farang guy with a sob story about having his phone and money stolen. He didn't ask for ß3000, but I was unconvinced. Perhaps he was legit, but I just said sorry and proceeded up to the SkyTrain. TOO many scammers of every persuasion in LOS (Land of Scams) has increased my cynicism and ruined me for philanthropy. Can't save the world and charity starts at home.

In the area between Soi 4 and Terminal 21 I am not inclined to believe half of what I see nor any of what I hear.

You're a good guy OP....don't let this incident get to you...have fun!

Agree, anyone between Nana Plaza and Soi Cowboy I would just ignore. In general what a broke farang has to do on Sukhumvit Road.

Prefer to help some old Thai granny that lives on Rice and Water every day and make her happy with a 500 Baht note here in Isaan then giving it to some farang that wants to burn the money on booze and woman's.

I had a similar incident in udon thani a few years back oldish bloke had had his money stole and was

worried sick and telling anyone he was stuck, as we where in a bar I thought its not the first place I would

go ? buy a beer when you have just had all your money stolen? so I gave him 100 bat and told him to

phone home....99% a scammer but as he was a fellow brit I gave him the benefit of the doubt.

...the jackass...whatever happened to honesty....

...and the ones that really need help will not get it after...

...if you screwed up...or have an alcohol or drug problem....or whatever...'fess up'....

...if you are just a conniving, lazy good-for-nothing...go to hell...and do not dirty the name or reputation of ANY nationality...

Good for you Alex...you were ready to help...we need more people like you in the world...

..and less like him....unless he has a good explanation

35 years ago i made a trip to usa with a friend and my brother. We were on the greyhound bus on the way back to new york to catch our plane back to paris. And we were completely out of money because we lost it. We could buy our tickets only until chicago and we were talking about how we re gonna get to nyc in the coffee shop of the bus station. At the next table sat an old man. After a while he talked to us in french to say he understood the whole story and offered to pay for our tickets to nyc. He invited us for coffee and some sandwichs too. He said he was in the marines and made the "debarquement" in normandy in 1944 and he learnt some french at that time. He said he had very good times in france though it was war time and that he had a few affairs with nice french ladies which left him sweet souvenirs. I asked for his address and told him we wd pay him back when in france, he gave his address but refused about money. When we got back in paris we sent him a box whith fine wine and champagne bottles to thank him, but he never answered. I hope he received it well and appreciated it.

Not the same story because we didnt ask anything to anyone and we didnt want to scam anybody but we were very very happy that someone help us. I never forgot about the old american man in chicago and i hope he spent the rest of his life happilly.

Regards