Scam : 3 000 Baths to help Farang (Emergency Passport)

Alexjou123

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I live in Issan, I met a Swedish guy and we used to meet every day for years to walk around the park to exercise. I quite liked him. He had a story about how he loved the girl but her mother hated him. He wanted to buy some land and build a house. At the time I was new in country and had a fair bit of dosh. He showed me where his Mother in Law lived and the land he wanted to buy and build on. I thought I could help him. However the problems started then. The land had to be subdivided, everyone wanted cash, he wanted the dosh up front to impress. I thought he was a great guy because we walked around the park together every day. I offered the loan but said come meet my wife and family. He had a nickname of Bear because he had a sort of humpback. My (thai) wife soused it out and said no! I see him about the town of Chum Phae whenever I visit but he hates me with a vengeance. He now lives within the mother in laws house. It was all small bikkies and dosh I didn't care much about. I have read all the stories now about farangs scamming farangs and I think I was lucky. Not that it would have mattered much to me except I believed him and probably would have messed me up a bit.

Now many years later I think maybe he was scamming me?

PS Nothing about Swedish guys unintentionally.

In all the years of coming here, I have been hit with scams that go froma one to a 10. I learned on my second trip, back in 1996, just dont trust anyone when it comes to money. It was a cheap lesson for me 1000 baht. These people use the system ask 100 times...maybe 2 or 3 will come through. There are so many people that really want to help, these people are seeking those. If I am walking down a soi and someone stops asking for money, particulary a farang, I just act dumb (not very hard for me to do) and reply, no english. pretty much. leave me alone.

Now I have helped out a few ladies that i know very well. Ended up paying for and building an enclosed locked shed on a womans house so she could store things while she went out of the country to work. She paid every month until it was paid off. there are honest people in Thailand, just have to know them well.

Compassion is good, but this is a stereotype of a scam.

Turning to arbitrary strangers on public street, forget it.

The only credible part of the story is, that "Martin Hackl" could be an Austrian name wink.png

Having lived in a big city for more than 30 years I heard so many variations of these stories.

Point him to police to make a report and then go to his embassy where they will tell him how to continue.

Then go your way.

I have same case like this when I was waiting my flight in Germany, a young french guy ask me 50 euros to take bus to come back France, and he seems very embarrassed, tell me he will give money back when he come back home.

Sure I helped him because i think I will be happy if other help me in critical cases. So no news of him after.

It's sure compassion is good but I asked myself if I will help again in similar case. Now personally, I think I will help people again, it's only not a big money and it doesnt happen frequently, at least you have no doubt that helping people is always good (even it's a trick from some dishonest people), some real help goes to people who are really needed and deserved for it.

God always bless you when you give.

The act of human beeing compassion is important.

If you wish to retain your faith in human nature, you can presume he found an alternative source of immediate funds!

But I am confident it was a scammer.

I commend your good nature yet self protective act of not handing cash over directly.

I had one try it on at Heathrow once...... and once in Thailand.

As long as the perp. has a thick face then asking for money is the easiest scam of all.

Over 27 years here in Thailand I have also been approached by foreigners and asked for money for some sob story and I just wave them off and do not stop to listen to their story.

That may be harsh ...but they are relying on your sympathy and gullibility as that is what a con man is hoping for when conning people out of their money.

Back in 1986 when I lived in New York city, on a Sunday morning I was walking to the local grocery story and I see up ahead of me a young guy looking somewhat disheveled coming towards me and sure enough he starts to talk to me and asks me for a moment of my time.

As he did not look threatening I stopped and listened to what he wanted to say while he told me he was from Australia ( he had the Aussie accent ) and went on to tell me he was at Battery Park the night before watching the fire works and celebrating the 4th of July and drinking wine with some local black guys he had met there that he said were OK and all in good fun until everyone was good and drunk and then they beat him up and stole everything he had.

I just knew he was telling me the truth so I opened up my wallet and showed him the 30 US dollars I had and told him I could give him 20 dollars as I needed 10 for myself .

I said good luck with the guy insisting I give him my mailing address and he would pay me back when he got back to Australia.

Sometimes people do have a bad run of luck and need the assistance of strangers.

Cheers

Compassion is good, but this is a stereotype of a scam.

Turning to arbitrary strangers on public street, forget it.

The only credible part of the story is, that "Martin Hackl" could be an Austrian name wink.png

Having lived in a big city for more than 30 years I heard so many variations of these stories.

Point him to police to make a report and then go to his embassy where they will tell him how to continue.

Then go your way.

Your post lost all credibility as you cannot tell the difference between Austria and Australia which may not be in same continent. wink.png

I think it is you who loose credibility for a rubbish post. He was doing the best he can and being French and not a naturally English speaker, guess like you, Austria and Australia can be confusing. All credit to the guy, at least he had some compassion.

You're right. I did "lose" my credibility with my a-hole like post although it was directed at 2nd post and not OP. Are you saying KhunBENQ is also a French?

You all should read the relevant posts again...to unravel these fascinating mysteries.

Very decent of the OP for trying to help. I have been approached by an assortment of scammers over the years, all having recently been robbed. If you take the time to talk to them for a few minutes their stories all seem to fall apart. None want advice, only cash.

OMG I was scared exactly the same way by a guy who had string English accent but changed to be a French and out of curiosity when mentioned that his English is too perfect to be a Frenchman he said his mom was from France and dad from UK abs he is teaching here in Bangkok and ran out of money and by that evening his landlord would kick him out if he couldn't mange the fund so I paid. But I took his pictures too and have many different shots from that meeting at McDonald's at sukumvit Soi 19 just opposite of terminal 21. He was in his late 29's or early 30's

Thes

As long as the perp. has a thick face then asking for money is the easiest scam of all.

Over 27 years here in Thailand I have also been approached by foreigners and asked for money for some sob story and I just wave them off and do not stop to listen to their story.

That may be harsh ...but they are relying on your sympathy and gullibility as that is what a con man is hoping for when conning people out of their money.

Back in 1986 when I lived in New York city, on a Sunday morning I was walking to the local grocery story and I see up ahead of me a young guy looking somewhat disheveled coming towards me and sure enough he starts to talk to me and asks me for a moment of my time.

As he did not look threatening I stopped and listened to what he wanted to say while he told me he was from Australia ( he had the Aussie accent ) and went on to tell me he was at Battery Park the night before watching the fire works and celebrating the 4th of July and drinking wine with some local black guys he had met there that he said were OK and all in good fun until everyone was good and drunk and then they beat him up and stole everything he had.

I just knew he was telling me the truth so I opened up my wallet and showed him the 30 US dollars I had and told him I could give him 20 dollars as I needed 10 for myself .

I said good luck with the guy insisting I give him my mailing address and he would pay me back when he got back to Australia.

Sometimes people do have a bad run of luck and need the assistance of strangers.

Cheers

Wow, "Got robbed", trying to prey on implied bias and subtle bigotry. Assume you are a Caucasian man as otherwise he never would have said it was "blacks". Did he send you your money back?

These Farang who approach on the street with sob stories are all scammers, every last one. Same league as Indian "you have a lucky face" fakirs. How many well dressed men can there be who only need " a few hundred baht for bus fare home". I'm not saying this kind of thing is easy, it takes persistence. If the scammers put as much effort into fraud, into a decent productive pursuits they would be very successful.

Simply though there are many people who simply WILL NOT WORK for a living. It is a sickness. Many become grifters and crims, preying on the gullibility of decent people, and many of these crooks come to Thailand.

Even the nice looking (Eastern European) lady who just needs food for "her baby" she is foisting on all and sundry to get pity from the stupid. They are whores who come to Thailand with their boyfriends (pimps) and sometimes cute Euro infants. Another gal (on the the rag,etc.) is given the brat to beg for the night. Oldest trick in the book. Don't be a sucker.

"Hit the road Sally, not interested".

Edited by arunsakda

Thes

Cheers

Wow, "Got robbed", trying to prey on implied bias and subtle bigotry. Assume you are a Caucasian man as otherwise he never would have said it was "blacks". Did he send you your money back?

These Farang who approach on the street with sob stories are all scammers, every last one. Same league as Indian "you have a lucky face" fakirs. How many well dressed men can there be who only need " a few hundred baht for bus fare home". I'm not saying this kind of thing is easy, it takes persistence. If the scammers put as much effort into fraud, into a decent productive pursuits they would be very successful.

Simply though there are many people who simply WILL NOT WORK for a living. It is a sickness. Many become grifters and crims, preying on the gullibility of decent people, and many of these crooks come to Thailand.

Even the nice looking (Eastern European) lady who just needs food for "her baby" she is foisting on all and sundry to get pity from the stupid. They are whores who come to Thailand with their boyfriends (pimps) and sometimes cute Euro infants. Another gal (on the the rag,etc.) is given the brat to beg for the night. Oldest trick in the book. Don't be a sucker.

"Hit the road Sally, not interested".

Ahhhh.......somewhere in that rant of yours there are words of wisdom....but seemingly obscure.

Cheers

You did not get compensated did you?

No cheque posted from down under?

The poor little drunkard, robbed by "blacks".

No, you were fleeced. He had another good drinking session on the moneys you provided.

"Hit the road, Jack" I would have said.

Edited by arunsakda

Well you are lucky to have a decent person asking you for help though it could be a scam. Yesterday I met a young foreigner probably a Brits, Australian or....holding a bottle of beer in his hand in Soi Bukhao. Following me and asking if I could speak English and I said of course, so he say give me 60 Baht to go and eat food. I just looked at him drinking beer so he is in no need of money for food. I just ignored him and he started abusing me for not helping him, he follow me everywhere I go and abuse me, I tried to avoid him and he is not leaving in the end I just went to a shoe shop and come there too and stand at the gate. I tried to take his photo and he show me middle finger and left and kept on abusing. I just wanted to avoid conflict. I am sure if he had done it with a Thai person he would be in hospital right now. Don't really understand why this type of people come here. If I had a photo of his face I would surely report him to the police. We don't want these people here creating problem for other expats.

Well done....you handled the situation absolutely A1...I will remember to do it the same way should I find myself confronted....please do not let it put you off trying to be of help to people,..... your type is badly needed in today's world.

I agree completely, very well handled to see if it was a scam or not. Similar to someone begging for money, offer to buy them a meal instead of simply giving cash. Any person truly down on their luck will gladly take up the offer of a meal.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with helping out a person in need, compassion is a virtue, not a fault.

You did not get compensated did you?

No cheque posted from down under?

The poor little drunkard, robbed by "blacks".

No, you were fleeced. He had another good drinking session on the moneys you provided.

"Hit the road, Jack" I would have said.

Unlike you I recognize the difference between a scam and someone genuinely in need of some assistance.....as you were not there on that Sunday morning in 1986 in New York City

I did not give the man my address......so no he did not send me back 20 dollars and I did not lose any sleep over it, unlike yourself who would be distraught for life and possibly suicidal....lol

Meantime, what you mean to say is that you adamantly recommend everyone should say to you: "Hit the Road Jack" if you had the same thing happen to you.

If you were accosted in the street and robbed in broad daylight by a marauding gang of thieves then you are recommending that everyone totally ignore your plight and tell you to: "Hit the road Arunsakda" because your dire situation is obviously nothing less than a scam perpetrated by the likes of you.

OK..so now we all know the one person who should never be helped under any circumstances what so ever...and that would be you...while you should simply be left to die on the streets because it must be a scam of sorts you are perpetrating and nothing less...according to your wisdom.

All people in need of help are scam artists and cheating, lying thieves........according to the wisdom of Aransakda.

You try to have yourself a good day...if that is possible.

Cheers

Many, many years ago, my brother & l were in Bangkok & we met a fellow Aussie who had no money or passport.

Can't remember why(this was 1975!).

He had been to the Australian Embassy & they had refused to help him. ln fact ordered him out of the building.

All he wanted was for the Embassy to get intouch with his father, a doctor in Adelaide, so his dad could send him a ticket to get home.

And of course a document from the embassy to allow him to travel without a passport.

My brother and l & this Aussie's Thai girlfriend fed him & kept him company.

We were seeking advice from the embassy about onward travel to Laos because the communists were about to take over Laos & we guessed that it wouldn't be safe to go there.

To cut a long story short, when my brother and me had our interview with an embassy(or consulate official, can't remember)we took this homeless Aussie in with us which annoyed them very much.

The official ordered him out of the room & thats when l lost it.

My words were something like "we pay your bloody salary & you can't even make a phone call to Australia to let this bloke's dad that his son needs help".

Must have shamed them as they did make the call & before we left Thailand we met up again & he had the travel document & one-way air ticket home.

Hope he did the right thing by the lovely Thai Lady as she was keeping him before we met him. He said that he was coming back.

l was just so disgusted by the attitude of the Australian Embassy.

I give money to bums in the street. Not to Grifters. Also a few guys whose mental health issues are not well served by the good old USA.

None of theses approach with the same pathetic transparent stories, or use Children as props.

I also give to mendicants, and make merit at temples.

I like the guys in Honolulu with "need money for beer signs". Probably the most honest.

My job takes me to Guam, USA. There is a couple begging been there for months and months often with their children. I gave the man money once. "Homeless, need airfare Home", says the sign. There are no other caucasian families begging on Guam so they drew some attention. The story was in the news .

Child Protective Services confirmed the children are in school. The family is in a public shelter, not sleeping on the beach or jungle, like many locals. Apparently they are not doing anything illegal and the children will not be taken away. And guess what? The gentleman has been offered work, but he will not take it.

Why should he? Work for minimum wage, when there are dupes like me to provide an income in cash tax free? Once I heard this story I feel no need to give more as my taxes pay for their shelter, public schools, and loafing about.

Just feel sorry for children provided such an example of idleness as a way to live, as opposed to honest work.

Edited by arunsakda

Your post lost all credibility as you cannot tell the difference between Austria and Australia which may not be in same continent. wink.png

It's a bit rich when you talk about losing credibility. FYI, Australia IS a continent, and Austria is in Europe. May not be indeed.

Si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses.facepalm.gif

So the fact that Australia is a continent negates the fact that it is also a country?

Alexjou123, as others have said, you are more compassionate than most and you did the only right thing you could do. Wish there were more people like you in the world. I would never blindly give money to anyone because of a sob-story, but you tried to help and in the end only exposed his scam.