Did I just make a big mistake by ordering a tablet from China and choosing DHL(customs)?

wat

Mate, I haven't read all the replies but I got stung big time by DHL. I thought I got a great deal on a disabled push chair sent from the US. By the time customs got their cut it cost me nearly double! Gutted.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ordered a piece of junk tablet from China. Total crap but you get what you pay for, it died in a week so I sent it back and a month later it return having never left the country because thai post won't send a lithium battery in the mail. I now have a Samsung 10.1 galaxy and love it

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

Yes Mcfish, Everyone seems to ignore this important point, I have mentioned this problem many times in previous posts and again in this post. As they say "once bitten"

Got stung by DHL and Thai customs big style. Not only did they charge an enormous "customs charge" that was much more than the value of the contents + shipping, but they kindly removed all the bubble wrap that I'd put around fragile items. So not only did the box arrive 1 month late but all the fragile items were smashed.

I can remember a chain saw dealer and repairer in Australia who had a sign outside his shop: "If you bought it on the Internet, take it back there to get it fixed." Just so.

I can also recall buying a tablet on eBay which broke down after three weeks. One year warranty. The Australian supplier only had email for contact, no phone number. So if the supplier chose to ignore emails, there was nothing you could do. Later found out the supplier had changed premises and company name four times in the last five years. Complaints to a consumer watchdog were useless because they couldn't keep up with him.

I agree with other posters - if you can't send it back, or it is too costly to do so, the product is worthless unless you get lucky.bah.gif

Edited by bazza40

Mate, I haven't read all the replies but I got stung big time by DHL. I thought I got a great deal on a disabled push chair sent from the US. By the time customs got their cut it cost me nearly double! Gutted.

Just been looking for the old bill. It was actually FedEx. The disabled push chair was $900 & I ended up paying customs a further $752 !

I could've bought a state of the art German made version in Bangkok for that combined price!

Edited by DMC1

Just been looking for the old bill. It was actually FedEx. The disabled push chair was $900 & I ended up paying customs a further $752 !

I could've bought a state of the art German made version in Bangkok for that combined price!

That is not necessarily the fault of the air courier. It is the fault of excessive Customs duties on certain categories of goods. That is applied to cost, insurance and freight. After that, 7% VAT is applied, so you are taxed again. And then the Customs broker needs to be paid, as after all, that is their business.

Buying from a local dealer is often better. They are consolidating larger shipments and getting better rates (probably by sea instead of air), thus spreading around lower shipping and broker fees

My general experience is that if I order with expedited shipping I get taxed, and with standard shipping they let it go through. I guess that's "wanting it tax". If you know what you want and can wait, then take the cheaper shipping. I've done lots of ordering for personal goods, especially from USA, and that appears to be the pattern in my own experience.

NEVER EVER USE DHL FEDEX TNY or any other International courrier when ordering items into Thailand

Sounds bizZARE but trust me these are the most corrupt companies working with thai customs you will ever deal with here.

also why pay for an express service door to door, when it will take usually 2 weeks for them to con your taxes and clearing fees and extra charges from you?

no point at all...

Solution: ask them to send your item registered china post, or EMS... and write a Thai name on the address, not yours...

you will stand better chances of not paying 100% tax and get it much sooner...

FEDEX and DHL should be banned from operating in Thailand in my book...
The 2 times i ordered

1 item from china - import Tax (check on customs website what your exact tarriff and HS codes are) just so you know what you are fighting for - then include VAT 7% (soon to increase to 10% in december (then extras)
my import Tax should have been 5%
FEFEX claimed it was 100% so i should pay more than the item cost
I said no, they said fine if you dont want the product
They also claimed that they had already paid customs the 100% so i could not argue or fight my case against it being completely wrong

They pay on behalf of the customer upto 100,000 without even asking you,.... then they invoice you for it...

ABSOLUTE SCAM - discusting!

TNT are no better and DHL is worse
You have been warned!

I ordered a piece of junk tablet from China. Total crap but you get what you pay for, it died in a week so I sent it back and a month later it return having never left the country because thai post won't send a lithium battery in the mail. I now have a Samsung 10.1 galaxy and love it

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

Yeah the Chinese make great Samsung tablets don't they?

As well as the pc most posters are using, and the phones they talk on everyday.

Quick note. Lazada is great with delivery and has great prices. I'm not sure it's worth saving a few Baht to buy online from China what might already be available there????

Not to mention Lazada guarantee all duties on imports from China are included in the cost.

Why buy from China,

Cycling outfits, shortie 600bht, full length 800bht ..... about half the price of Thailand.

LED rear bulbs for your m/c 180bht for 10 ........ 100bht each in Thailand.

To start my company i have received 45 packages in 3 weeks ranging from 250g-2kg. I read alot about you should not use DHL, TNT . So i used china post on every package and didnt pay 1 baht in taxes or anything. I ordered in thai girfriends name. That worked for me atleast and im going to continue with that

I am sure these major companies like DHL see a falang name and immediately up the bill, I ordered a phone from China they actually used Netherlands post and arrived without any extra payment.

OMG. Why would anybody want to order anything from China? I remember a guy who'd done that and was completely in the rain. Neither did the "good looking phone work nor did he get a replacement.

This tablet is a brand new product just starting to ship with some killer specs for the price. And the company that makes it has made similar products that have been well reviewed. It isn't available in Thailand yet, but if it was I probably would have just bought it here. It has a 1 year warranty and I get 45 days to return it so I'm not too worried.

Cautionary note: The GF in China ordered a Samsung SIII from China (TaoBao)- got a great price.

When it arrived, a quick check of the device showed it was a fake. It was a beautiful copy, but it just didn't work right.

Being in China, she did get her money back, but I wouldn't want to try it from Thailand.

• 6 months later...

Don't buy anything from China?? You must be joking. Whether you buy it from Europe, Thailand or the US, it was probably made in China. I have a couple small solar systems. The panels and batteries were purchased in Thailand. The inverters and charge controllers were purchased from AliExpress. The panels and batteries also came from China. Everything was made in China.

ADDED - My dell computer was made in China. Where do you think your iPhone was made? One of my phones was made in Vietnam, two others were made in China.

Edited by Gary A

OMG. Why would anybody want to order anything from China? I remember a guy who'd done that and was completely in the rain. Neither did the "good looking phone work nor did he get a replacement.

I order from China all the time, never a problem.

If you want new IT, Geekbuying is a great online shopping resource.

Don't buy anything from China?? You must be joking. Whether you buy it from Europe, Thailand or the US, it was probably made in China. I have a couple small solar systems. The panels and batteries were purchased in Thailand. The inverters and charge controllers were purchased from AliExpress. The panels and batteries also came from China. Everything was made in China.

ADDED - My dell computer was made in China. Where do you think your iPhone was made? One of my phones was made in Vietnam, two others were made in China.

Guess my parents wanted to have quality and therefore made me in Germany.....thumbsup.gif

Guess my parents wanted to have quality and therefore made me in Germany.....thumbsup.gif

explains the boring design!

I would never ship anything using a private shipping company to Thailand. I have ordered a few things from China and although slow, I have always eventually received my order with no extra bribe to pay.

Sent from my R2D2 using my C3P0 manservant

I see it's been around 6 months since the OP ordered the tablet and was wondering if his selected expedited shipping method he believed to be DHL would result in custom charges. I expect the tablet arrived over 5 months ago. Would be nice if the OP would give us an update on what happened. But he's been inactive since late March so I won't hold my breath.