Please help! trying to opening a bank account

Hi,

Apologies if this is not the correct forum to post this in and if has been covered recently. Mods feel free to move if necessary.

This is the background to my problem.

I have been living on Koh Samui for around the last 2 years with triple entry tourist visas (all issued from London) as I travel back there every so often.

I have been living with my (Thai) girlfriend) in a house that I rent.

I have an income from the UK that covers my expenses here, I am under 50 but cannot afford the thai elite visa.

I have discussed marriage with the girlfriend previously which she is excited about and with the introduction of the new METV I feel that it would make sense to make a more long term option with my visa choice, as the hoops needed to be jumped through to obtain the METV I find ridiculous.

I want to open a bank account in order to deposit the 400k bhat required to obtain the visa but every bank I have been to has told me I can only open a bank account with a work permit. I of course don't have one as I do not work here and don't ever intend to. Therefore I am asking for advice from anybody that has come across this problem and found a solution. As I am sure retirees do not have a work permit and they too need to show funds so there must be a way around this somehow

So please any help / advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Money is not required for a visa - you can easily obtain in Savannakhet once married - that is a non immigrant O visa valid for one entry of 90 days or multi entry for a year of up to 90 day stays.

If you want to extend your stay at an immigration office the 400k in bank for period of time would be required if you do not have 40k per month verifiable income. But once married and on a non immigrant O visa entry bank should be easy - even now if you visit with a letter from your Embassy and/or with GF they might issue - but you often do have to visit several locations as even if same bank different managers can take different positions.

thanks Gerry for that, that information is a bit old though and specific to BKK from my understanding the rules have been tightened since the bombing so was looking for more recent info hence the post.

Topburi thanks for your response also. I was planning to get my visa from Penang as it is an easier journey from Samui and my understanding is from that embassy funds need to be shown. Of course if worst comes to the worst then I will have to travel up to Savannakhet.

It just seems strange. I have even told the banks I need an account as I want to buy a condo so need to send a deposit across, but they just wont budge from the requirement of a work permit?!

Which/how many bank(s) have you tried?

The workpermit requirement is silly/an attempt to get rid of you or "no understand".

At best a Non O visa is required.

By their own rules even Bangkok Bank would open a sacings account (without internet access) on a tourist visa.

Usually easiest to handle is Kasikorn bank (K-Bank).

Go to main branches in tourist/farang rich areas.

You and your GF should clearly state that you want a savings (!) account (no credit, not credit card, always money on account).

Opening a full featured current account is not possible on a tourist visa. Indeed WP, regular income needed.

Edited by KhunBENQ

thanks kungbeng. I don't know the names of all the banks but do know the colours, so have tried Bangkok bank, the yellow bank, the green one, the pink government one, the purple one and the light blue one. All in and around Chewang so I don't think I could get more touristy if I tried.

The girlfriend has been with me throughout and has explained its to put money in for a marriage visa and a condo and all they repeat is "work permit"

I guess I will just keep having to walk into branches and hope for the best.

happynthailand thanks also, I think SCB is the purple one which I have tried (by Tesco lotus), but they do have a branch in Big C so I will try that one tomorrow

go in the bank with 5000baht up... tell them your money comes per WU (krungsri bank) or something else

and you not want to carry the cash all time (dangerous ;-). )

or...

let gf open account and you keep card

Edited by lung

I helped a friend of mine get an account with Krungthai, he was on a visa waiver and they also wanted work permit, but after a little back and forth they said it was possible to open an account if my friend would forego interests.

There is a pinned thread about opening a bank account, seems many have issues. The best advice is probably to go a place where they are more used to dealing with foreigners (expats), for example Silom Road in Bangkok.

Once you have one account it’s probably easier to get a second account with your local branch on Koh Samui (so you don’t pay fees for using your card on Koh Samui).

I helped a friend of mine get an account with Krungthai, he was on a visa waiver and they also wanted work permit, but after a little back and forth they said it was possible to open an account if my friend would forego interests.

There is a pinned thread about opening a bank account, seems many have issues. The best advice is probably to go a place where they are more used to dealing with foreigners (expats), for example Silom Road in Bangkok.

Once you have one account its probably easier to get a second account with your local branch on Koh Samui (so you dont pay fees for using your card on Koh Samui).

In the last week I have opened accounts at Bangkok Bank, Krungsri, SCB, Kasikorn, KTB and TMB. The branches are all on Sukhumvit in areas with a lot of farangs.

The first thing I was asked for on every occasion (the first words out of their mouths) was my passport and work permit (which I do have).

There must be another way. What about retirees, and those bringing up Thai children by themselves?

post-234880-0-11045500-1447952201_thumb.

Edited by blackcab

No work permit, no nothing, I live on peanuts.

3 was my lucky number after failng twice. They asked for wp, I said nope yet they opened an account for me.

I could get married but I merely have 40k plus we don't live together, so I am still considering it. Any suggestions?

Does your local Immigration office offer a brochure outlining the requirements ? You need a Thai or bilingual version; if you walk in with something that is only in English they will think you wrote it yourself. Wear the best clothes you have and tell your girlfriend to do the same. Your appearance shouldn't matter, but in Thailand it does.

If you can manage to get an account opened anywhere, you can probably get it transferred to a branch near your home (technically not a transfer,but rather, a new account at the second branch.)

Can open savings account with your passport for ID. If you do not succeed at first try another branch/bank on another day, or even the same branch at a different time of the day.

After going to many banks and branches, KTB (the light blue/cyan) bank in Central World (near Gaysorn Shopping centre) in Bangkok, opened a savings account.They issued an ATM card and passbook on the spot.

Keep in mind, it helps if the branch is quiet when you visit to open account.

See more about it here.

Also, look in to how easy/difficult their support is after opening account. See:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/843259-working-in-bkk-which-bank-to-choose/#entry9693439

I did not encounter any issues when opening account, but did encounter serious issues when contacting KTB Support by phone, and e-mails sent were not responded to.

Edited by meltingpot2015

OP try it another way. Say to the bank you want to invest B 400 000 for 12 months. They will open an investment account for you but will open a savings account for you and pay the interest into the savings account (and can get an ATM card and upgrade later). If you need the B 400 k later on you close the investment account and will have to repay the interest that was paid into your savings account. Hope it helps.

In Pattaya u can open easy . in Pattaya they not ask any paper l open mine in 2013/with kasikorn Bank in royal garden on first floor . also l open in Bank Bangkok at Big c on Nut in Bangkok . l have my own Condo So l néed just show them l have adresse . So with m'y paper Condo they say OK no néed certificat résident

Edited by salim94

thanks kungbeng. I don't know the names of all the banks but do know the colours, so have tried Bangkok bank, the yellow bank, the green one, the pink government one, the purple one and the light blue one. All in and around Chewang so I don't think I could get more touristy if I tried.

The girlfriend has been with me throughout and has explained its to put money in for a marriage visa and a condo and all they repeat is "work permit"

happynthailand thanks also, I think SCB is the purple one which I have tried (by Tesco lotus), but they do have a branch in Big C so I will try that one tomorrow

No ATM card. You have all your money under the bed ?

Hard to believe you lived here 2 years and you don't know bank names. There 5 banks in every mall and supermarket in the country. Not working ?

how do you support yourself ?

Good luck to your wife.

No ATM card. You have all your money under the bed ?

Hard to believe you lived here 2 years and you don't know bank names. There 5 banks in every mall and supermarket in the country. Not working ?

how do you support yourself ?

Good luck to your wife.

In answer to you ignorance

Where have you come to the conclusion I have no atm card?

I apologise if my knowledge of thai banks names isn't up to the standard you would expect,

Try reading my original post and it explains how I support myself, not that it has any relevance to this post or is any of your business

I have passed on your message to my girlfriend, again if you had bothered to read my post you would have noticed she is not my wife, she says thanks

I recently opened a savings account at Bangkok Bank in Kalasin with no hassles while on a tourist visa. They did ask my GF for someone from the community to vouch for me. They suggested that her brother,( a local mayor), or other person or standing in the community be asked. Her brother could not get there in time, so she had a girlfriend that is high ranking come down and the account was opened with no issues.

In other transactions, they have been very helpful and professional in all their efforts to assist me.

As others have remarked each branch is different, with main branches not shopping mall branches appearing to be the best option.

Cheers!

I'm surprised your having a problem opening an account. Generally if you go to one bank branch and they turn you down, then the 2nd or 3rd will give you an account. I've got accounts with 3 different banks and have never had a work permit.

But in one case when I was told I needed a work permit, I asked to speak with the manager. After talking to her for maybe 10 minutes she gave me the account. You can generally get a long way if you are patient, polite and smile.

I also have the impression that Bangkok bank is the easiest bank to open an account at.

Once you have one account its probably easier to get a second account with your local branch on Koh Samui (so you dont pay fees for using your card on Koh Samui).

In the last week I have opened accounts at Bangkok Bank, Krungsri, SCB, Kasikorn, KTB and TMB. The branches are all on Sukhumvit in areas with a lot of farangs.

The first thing I was asked for on every occasion (the first words out of their mouths) was my passport and work permit (which I do have).

There must be another way. What about retirees, and those bringing up Thai children by themselves?

Why would you open accounts at six banks in one week?

Seems a bit dodgy and will be sure to be scrutinised now you have posted on TVF.

Good luck.

Bangkok bank was the easist with passport and tourist visa, kasikorn was the next easist, I think the prereq for kasik is a 5-10,000 deposit. You will also need a letter from the imagration office confirming your address or you could get a thai driving license, less questions asked that way.

All in and around Chewang so I don't think I could get more touristy if I tried.

Tourists going to Chewang / Samui dont open bank accounts. You want a place with expats if you want to increase the odds of the bank being familiar with opening accounts for foreigners w/o a work permit.