Please help! trying to opening a bank account

OP try it another way. Say to the bank you want to invest B 400 000 for 12 months. They will open an investment account for you but will open a savings account for you and pay the interest into the savings account (and can get an ATM card and upgrade later). If you need the B 400 k later on you close the investment account and will have to repay the interest that was paid into your savings account. Hope it helps.

Open a joint Bank A/C with your Thai GF. If Samui doesn't allow try Bangkok Bank Silom or the branch near Soi 8 on Sukhumvit (Second Floor) which is flooded with Farangs and their Girlfriends from Nana. In fact sometimes its like the movies and the staffs from Bangkok Bank are having a good time and laugh.

Use that joint bank account to open another account for the 400k. Tell them you need it for immigration and you don't trust your GF and they will understand.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bangkok bank was the easist with passport and tourist visa, kasikorn was the next easist, I think the prereq for kasik is a 5-10,000 deposit. You will also need a letter from the imagration office confirming your address or you could get a thai driving license, less questions asked that way.

Its seems to vary widely. I opened up my Kasicorn account without a visa, just the 15 or 30 day stamp I got on arrival, and either 500 or 1000 baht and no proof of address. And I don't think my initial deposit for any of my 3 accounts was more than 1000 baht.

Bangkok bank was the easist with passport and tourist visa, kasikorn was the next easist, I think the prereq for kasik is a 5-10,000 deposit. You will also need a letter from the imagration office confirming your address or you could get a thai driving license, less questions asked that way.

Its seems to vary widely. I opened up my Kasicorn account without a visa, just the 15 or 30 day stamp I got on arrival, and either 500 or 1000 baht and no proof of address. And I don't think my initial deposit for any of my 3 accounts was more than 1000 baht.

How long ago did you open yours? I opened mine 4 years ago with 800 baht which 500 was funded into my account. I let the account go without depositing more funds in it for a few years, when I went to use again I noticed it was cancelled. I went back to kasikorn and they said I couldnt open another account as the laws had changed. I called the kasikorn call center and they said it was the 5-10,000 deposit now (I cant remember exact amount) with proof of address from the imagration department. So armed with everything from the call center I went to another kasik they said no but I insisted they contact the call center. Once they got confirmation they proceeded to open the account. I found alot of the time if something is hard to do you will just get a polite no.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/Openinganaccountnew.aspx

The type of account you can open depends upon how long you intend to stay in the Kingdom and your corresponding immigration visa. More information on account requirements is detailed below – you can also visit your nearest branch today to discuss your situation with one of our branch staff.

In Thailand for a short time?

Even if you are only visiting Thailand for
a relatively short period of time, you can open a savings account and get a debit
card to use for shopping and ATM withdrawals. All you will need to provide
is your passport and one other official identification document – for example,
a reference letter from your embassy,
your home bank or a person acceptable
to the bank.

You will also need to provide evidence of your address in Thailand as well as your regular address in your home country.

Staying for a long time?

If you have a work permit, are a permanent resident, or hold a long-stay visa, you can apply for a wider range of services such as a cheque account, internet banking and online international funds transfer services.

Types of Account

Savings Account
A savings account can be opened with a minimum deposit of 500Bt. Interest is calculated daily and will be credited to your account every six months. Accounts which become dormant with a balance below 2,000Bt will attract a monthly service charge.

When you open a savings account, you can opt to receive a handy Be1st Visa Debit card. You can use your card to withdraw cash, pay bills, or shop online or anywhere displaying the VISA_Logo.jpg sign.

The Be1st Visa Debit Smart card is the first debit card in Thailand to use the latest EMV chip technology to keep your cash secure! This card can be used at Bangkok Bank ATM’s showing the Be1st Smart identification and online or at stores showing the VISA_Logo.jpg sign.

Current Account
If you are a resident or are working in Thailand, with just a minimum deposit of 10,000Bt you can open a Bangkok Bank current account and be issued with personalized cheques. A monthly service charge may apply if the average balance is below 1,000Bt.

Fixed Deposit Account
To open a fixed deposit account with a range of deposit terms of up to three years, all you need is a minimum deposit of 2,000Bt. Please visit our latest deposit interest rates page to compare deposit rates.

Documents required.

1. Foreigner with a Work Permit
  2. Passport
  • Work Permit
  1. Foreigner with Long-stay or Tourist Visa
  2. Passport and one of the following documents:

2.1 An official document from another country, such as a document from the
    relevant agency giving evidence of the customer’s right to receive pension
    funds, OR a letter of reference from one of the following:
      • Embassy or international organization
      • Customer’s home bank to Bangkok Bank via the SWIFT messaging network
      • Person acceptable to Bangkok Bank e.g. branch officer, customer, government officer or company executive
      • Educational institution located in Thailand and acceptable to the bank
      • Company that is acceptable to the bank, confirming the customer is in the process of getting a work permit

2.2 Other documents that show the name of the customer e.g. a document
showing the ownership of real estate in Thailand such as a unit in a
condominium

Edited by Faz

How long ago did you open yours? I opened mine 4 years ago with 800 baht which 500 was funded into my account. I let the account go without depositing more funds in it for a few years, when I went to use again I noticed it was cancelled. I went back to kasikorn and they said I couldnt open another account as the laws had changed. I called the kasikorn call center and they said it was the 5-10,000 deposit now (I cant remember exact amount) with proof of address from the imagration department. So armed with everything from the call center I went to another kasik they said no but I insisted they contact the call center. Once they got confirmation they proceeded to open the account. I found alot of the time if something is hard to do you will just get a polite no.

I just recently opened an account at kasikorn bank, 1000 Baht was enough. No proof of address asked for. But giving them the address you won't get surprised by a cancelled account, because you get informed in advance.

I just recently opened an account at kasikorn bank, 1000 Baht was enough. No proof of address asked for. But giving them the address you won't get surprised by a cancelled account, because you get informed in advance.

Yes for me it was the address! where did you open yours? mine was in Jomtien / Pattaya and it wasnt easy.

You can open an account with a "Thai Wife Visa" in fact before you get the visa as you need the account to get the visa. If you are married first then give the bank the details and they will open an account for you, they did for me. I needed to show my Thai driving license as well as I dont have a work visa ( I dont work here)

Edited by gandalf12

Kasikorn was 8-10 years ago, but my Bangkok Bank and SCB accounts were opened within the last year with small deposits. I still use the Kasikorn account. Actually more than the others. I had a Thai drivers license when opening the SCB and Bangkok Bank accounts. I don't remember them asking to see my license, but possibly they did and that's why they didn't ask for a proof of address.

Another thing about Bangkok Bank. If your a US citizen you can get your Social Security payments direct deposited into Bangkok Bank and only Bangkok Bank. They don't deal with any other Thai banks. I don't do that but someone at the embassy told me and offered to give me a form.

Possibly Koh Samui is the source of the problem. Or the account type.

Some years ago, I just walked into a Bangkok Bank branch in Chiang Mai, plonked down 10,000 baht, and said I want to open an account. Checked my passport ( non-immigrant "O" ), asked for my address and phone number, done. Gave me a savings passbook, offered me a debit card ( declined ).

Be aware if you succeed in opening an account in Bangkok, you may get stung a withdrawal fee if you are in another province. For example, my withdrawals from the savings passbook in Chiang Mai are free. In Chiang Rai, I am charged 150 baht.

May be little different from bank-to-bank, and maybe also the area of Thailand.

I live on Samui, and my experience is, that Bangkok Bank in Nathon (the main branch of Samui) normally easily opens accounts for foreigners. You will need your Passport with a Visa and may be asked for a prof of address; which is a letter you shall have from Samui Immigration, also in Nathon (they probably move to Maenam Soi 1 beginning of next year, 2016). For that you need a copy of rent contract (or like) and a copy of the landlord's "Blue House Book" (your GF will know), furthermore a print of Google Map with coordinates for "your home" in a box/arrow pointing at the position.

It is likely you also easily can open an account in the Bo Phut branch of Bangkok Bank, next to Bo Phut Town Centre, midway between Fisherman Village traffic light light and BigC.

Another good option is Kasikorn Bank, probably all branches on the island. However SCB seems to be more dismissive lately, but you can try. Check around, so you know what "paperwork" is needed, and preferably choose a branch as close to where you live, or plan to live, as you may need more personal contact with a Thai bank, than you are used to from UK.

Normally minimum deposit is 1,000 baht to open an account. You can have an ATM-debit card (Visa or Master Card) with the account (fee about 200 baht annually). For your 400k deposit for Visa extension based on marriage, you are best off with a separate account for that. You can choose a fix term account with higher interest, either 3 or 12 month normal fixed, or the bargain offers most bank has, which at present gives you around 2% pa. (+/-). Samui Immigration accept fixed term account for Visa extension, and your money deposit looks clear for them when using a specific account for that 400k, so they easily can see the 3 month maturing, only 2-month at first time. Have another ATM savings-account for money you move in from abroad and cash out; it's cheaper to transfer in lots to a Thai bank and cash out by ATM (fee free if you use your own bank's machines on the island). Also show that account to Samui Immigration, as they like to see you have a money flow (from abroad or...) when applying for Visa Extension - Immigration offices may not imply rules the same way, and Samui is well know for being little special, just like with all rules on the island.

I hope this helps you, and wish you good luck...smile.png

Edited by khunPer

Hi,

Ok I opened 3 bank accounts firstly one with Bank of Bangkok head office and then 2 branch in soi 11 about 20 months ago but was told couldn't do the same in ISAAN by the first bank guy....they wanted commissions and as I was on a 30 day VOD and had my Thai GF there at the time it was simple each time...now maybe they might suggest a joint account that's ok and keep the deposit minimal....Once you are in there system its easy to open a second etc...you get electronic and mobile banking and debt cards. So go to Sukhumvit rd head office with your GF see how you go.

Just get a teacher, lawyer or government official to so-sign for you. It's what worked for me.

When I lived in Sakon Nakhon, Bangkok Bank refused to let me open an account with them because I was on a 30 day stamp and had no work permit. So I went and got the teacher who lived next door to me to co-sign for me at the bank. No problem, I got the savings account and the Be1st VISA with internet access. It is very convenient because I can pay bills and book flights etc. on line with the Be1st electronic VISA.

Good luck. :)

I easily opened an account at Bangkok Bank using a non-Imm O.

Old news I am afraid, many many years ago.

I am retired so no work permit. I may have needed a residence certificate from immigration, it is so long ago I forget.

More recently I read Bangkok Banks terms and it did not suggest a WP was required to open an account.

Perhaps Samui staff are not very farang friendly?

I've opened two kbank accounts with a starting balance of 500thb recently...

I don't think there is any "minimum amount"

But as usual, they don't do consistency in Thai so never assume you'll get the same answers twice, even from 2 staff in the same branch....

Have had account with K bank for years

Bangkok bank wanted a WP buy took my retirement visa 3 months ago

Last week I looked at opening another account with the Government bank

Wanted WP and would not accept.my visa status... when they saw Thai drivers licence... problems disappeared and new account was offered

And previous posters are correct...easier to open accounts in places like Pattaya

Be aware if you succeed in opening an account in Bangkok, you may get stung a withdrawal fee if you are in another province. For example, my withdrawals from the savings passbook in Chiang Mai are free. In Chiang Rai, I am charged 150 baht.

150 ????

What bank/ATM card is that?

The usual fee for out of province is 15 Baht, maybe 20.

Kasikorn: out of province withdrawing a six digit sum over the counter (with passbook) cost me 0.1% (340 for 340'000, in 2011).

Annoying.

Edited by KhunBENQ

OP is on tourist visa, not a non 'o' or other type of visa.

Some 15 months ago I returned from summer in the UK with £6000 cash to open a bank account. After visiting most every back in Lamai and a large part of Chaweng while being told I needed a WP, I went over to immigration. An officer told be it was not true because otherwise people who were retired couldn't get their first extension. So off I traipse to mostly the same banks again where most changed the reason to needing a 1 year visa of some kind. Off I go back to immigration only to be told that this was also untrue. It's a while ago now so don't remember the exact words but at the time you needed a visa of some type that had been issued from outside the Kingdom. Visa exempt was not allowed nor was a VOA as it was issued within the Kingdom. Officer said to just wait a month or two while things settle down and try again, I did. After New year I visited banks all over the island and was still unable to open an account so simply gave up early May this year.

When I go to the UK next summer I will just open an account at the Bangkok Bank, London and then use that to open a local account.

http://www.bankthailand.info/International/Branch-in-UK.htm

I opened an acccount with the BBC because I needed it to get my visa here in Thailand. I provided a few pieces of paper like license and passport and that was it. Account opened.

What visa did you have when opening it?

At the time I had a 30 day visa exempt and I explained to them I needed the account in order to get a "Thai Wifë" visa. They took a copy of my Thai Drivers license which has your address on the back and the account was opened there and then. No waiting. I walked out 30 minutes later with the passbook., an ATM card and Internet banking

Edited by gandalf12

I opened an acccount with the BBC because I needed it to get my visa here in Thailand. I provided a few pieces of paper like license and passport and that was it. Account opened.

At the time I had a 30 day visa exempt and I explained to them I needed the account in order to get a "Thai Wifë" visa. They took a copy of my Thai Drivers license which has your address on the back and the account was opened there and then. No waiting. I walked out 30 minutes later with the passbook., an ATM card and Internet banking

Not tried since May so maybe I should give it another go.

Not tried since May so maybe I should give it another go.

They know you need a bank account for various reasons not just working in the country. Explain this to them, dont talk about working, and I am sure they will be helpful.

Some 15 months ago I returned from summer in the UK with £6000 cash to open a bank account. After visiting most every back in Lamai and a large part of Chaweng while being told I needed a WP, I went over to immigration. An officer told be it was not true because otherwise people who were retired couldn't get their first extension. So off I traipse to mostly the same banks again where most changed the reason to needing a 1 year visa of some kind. Off I go back to immigration only to be told that this was also untrue. It's a while ago now so don't remember the exact words but at the time you needed a visa of some type that had been issued from outside the Kingdom. Visa exempt was not allowed nor was a VOA as it was issued within the Kingdom. Officer said to just wait a month or two while things settle down and try again, I did. After New year I visited banks all over the island and was still unable to open an account so simply gave up early May this year.

When I go to the UK next summer I will just open an account at the Bangkok Bank, London and then use that to open a local account.

Sadly, you won't be able to open an account at Bangkok Bank London. That bank does not operate as a full retail bank.

Sadly, you won't be able to open an account at Bangkok Bank London. That bank does not operate as a full retail bank.

Cheers for the info.

OK, was told I could not open a bank account here by the Bangkok bank branches (2).

I went to the bangkok bank head office and asked again. I was on a tourist visa (30 days VoD) I had no problems opening a savings account with a linked debt card.

The OP is asking about CURRENT requirements .....................I dont think he cares about the rules 10yrs ago , 5yrs ago or even 1 yr ago .

It is what rules apply NOW and which bank is the easiest to deal with .

Why cant people on this forum limit themselves to CURRENT information.

@ lopburi3.......

sorry I have to disagree with you there . From the above posts .........................people had very little trouble opening bank accounts 10 yrs ago ...even 5 yrs ago.

But times have changed , and T I T so as we all know the rules change daily and also depend on which person in which branch you talk to. I have been in Thailand only 3 yrs . I had no problem opening my account(s)................but it has obviously gotten more difficult- hence the OP requesting CURRENT info.

Big brother ( the one running the country ) has also changed since then.......................

@ lopburi3.......

sorry I have to disagree with you there . From the above posts .........................people had very little trouble opening bank accounts 10 yrs ago ...even 5 yrs ago.

But times have changed , and T I T so as we all know the rules change daily and also depend on which person in which branch you talk to. I have been in Thailand only 3 yrs . I had no problem opening my account(s)................but it has obviously gotten more difficult- hence the OP requesting CURRENT info.

Big brother ( the one running the country ) has also changed since then.......................

Opening a bank account hasn't changed.

The requirements for the BKK are the same today as they were 5 years ago.

The problem is half the staff don't have a clue what the requirements are. Print a copy off their own website and take that with you.

Let them ring Head office and do the running around.

However reading some of the replies, such as "I had a wfe Visa" and I was on a "Tourist Visa (30 day VOA)", I'm surprised some actually know why, or how they stay here, so opening a bank account will be like breaking into a vault for some.