Kerrygold butter

triffid

I have heard about 100% grass fed milk cows for several years. Have not heard of any real benifet for the cow, nor the consumer of product from said cow, but then maybe I was not listening.

But I have often wondered how they were getting those cows to eat that winter kill grass during those 3 to 4 winter months and still produce a volume of product to remain at a profitable level. I hope someone will enlighten me as it is a interesting topic and I enjoy learning about topics I do not understand.

New Zealand cows are nearly 100% grass-fed hormone free, by law. They make some specialty Wagyu cows etc but its great stuff overall, and a very solid alternative to Kerry Gold, perhaps even better.

The problem with the Anchor butter that's sold here is that it's really reconstituted butter. They ship the butterfat over from New Zealand and somewhere in SE asia they add milk powder and water to reconstitute the stuff into butter. So it doesn't have a great taste.

New Zealand cows are nearly 100% grass-fed hormone free, by law. They make some specialty Wagyu cows etc but its great stuff overall, and a very solid alternative to Kerry Gold, perhaps even better.

The problem with the Anchor butter that's sold here is that it's really reconstituted butter. They ship the butterfat over from New Zealand and somewhere in SE asia they add milk powder and water to reconstitute the stuff into butter. So it doesn't have a great taste.

And where in God's name did you hear that malarkey from? What utter balderdash!

Some Anchor butter is made in Indonesia,and sold in Thailand,I bought some once and

it did not taste good,but I would think the NZ produced butter would be very good.

regards Worgeordie

Actually, I didn't hear any malarkey at all. I just read the label.

Actually, I didn't hear any malarkey at all. I just read the label.

You obviously read the wrong product label (Orchid perhaps?), as Anchor NZ butter, manufactured by Fonterra (Auckland Ltd) is fully imported into Thailand and other ASEAN countries.

I saw it at the supermarket in Central Festival a while ago. I don't go there much so I don't know if it's currently available.

Thank you. I shall check there tomorrow.

I've been there just now and they don't have it. I had high hopes because they have lots of Waitrose stuff - and Waitrose in London does sell it - but no luck at Central.

Ok, I will certainly read the label on Anchor (and any other NZ butter) I see on the supermarket shelf - starting at Rimping this weekend. But if the label does not say clearly that it's made from the milk of grass-fed cows - as KerryGold label does so say - then I'd need to see other reliable evidence that it's from grass-fed cows before I accept the assertion made above.

Ok, I will certainly read the label on Anchor (and any other NZ butter) I see on the supermarket shelf - starting at Rimping this weekend. But if the label does not say clearly that it's made from the milk of grass-fed cows - as KerryGold label does so say - then I'd need to see other reliable evidence that it's from grass-fed cows before I accept the assertion made above.

If you go to the Anchor website, you'll see that they say their butter comes from grass fed cows. Since New Zealand offers no subsidies for dairy farmers to feed their cattle soy and grain supplements I'm sure it's true. It wouldn't make economic sense to feed supplements to the cattle. Especially since New Zealand has got so much pasture. As for the question of whether it's reconstituted or not, I'll have to wait until I get to the supermarket to read its label. I do know that Emborg, which is a premium butter from Europe, has only one ingredient listed: butter. I"m pretty sure that when I read the Anchor label for unsalted butter, the ingredients listed were butter oil and milk powder.

Reliable evidence?

Crikey mate, use Google or simply trust a Kiwi ... NZ dairy farmers use silage (maize stalks) only as a supplementary feed in exceptional conditions - snow, drought etc,. Dairy herds feed on clean pure NZ grass but it's not used as a marketing ploy.

Google 'Fonterra' 'Anchor' 'Morrinsville' 'Fernleaf' etc.

Reliable evidence?

Crikey mate, use Google or simply trust a Kiwi ... NZ dairy farmers use silage (maize stalks) only as a supplementary feed in exceptional conditions - snow, drought etc,. Dairy herds feed on clean pure NZ grass but it's not used as a marketing ploy.

Didn't mean to impugn your veracity. But previously you made a bald three word assertion. However now you elaborated somewhat so I'm much more re-assured.

Real butter is made from all natural ingredients. Butter fat, milk proteins (Cream), water and sometimes salt. To make a kilo of butter it takes approximately 25 litres of milk. Butter must contain at least 80% fat in order to be called butter (In accordance with the Australian and New Zealand food standards code)

There are blended options available however these cannot be called butter.

As Rob said, Fonterra fully export the Anchor branded butter into Thailand and other SEA nations. Which means the product here is the same as it was when it left the shores of New Zealand.

It is perhaps the best butter currently available in Thailand (Although I may be a tad biased!) Great on new potatoes and good to use in baking or cooking. I am sure Kerrygold will be up there in regards taste and creaminess too.

Some of the other 'butters' I have tried here leave a lot to be desired. Im none too keen on those that taste like pop corn and the other day I spotted in Makro a brand that had caramel flavour! bet thats nice on potatoes.....NOT

Ok thats my sixpence worth. To the OP, hope you find the Kerrygold and if not give Anchor a try.

Time to head into town and watch the Rugby 10s

Reliable evidence?

Simply trust? I see no reason why! Isn't that what politicians around the world ask of the public? Better to do your own research and make your own well-informed decisions. Read those labels, research the product with eyes wide-open but hell's bells don't simply trust!

Last year when I was in the south Island of New Zealand I was wandering around the farmlands and talked to a local activist in the Motueka area. I commented about all the nice grass and how the cows are lucky to be free out to pasture.

He corrected me that was an illusion. He saids that only young cows are allowed to roam, and that after a certain age (I think it was 2 years) they are confined to the barns, fed grain and given the usual hormones etc.

He also said that most of the milk sold in the stores is now made from powdered milk from China and that all the good milk products are exported as they get a better price for them overseas.

I definitely noticed that the taste of milk is not the same as in the old days (30 years ago) when you could go to any farm in NZ and get your gallon of raw fresh milk.

Any one have any though on this?

Last year when I was in the south Island of New Zealand I was wandering around the farmlands and talked to a local activist in the Motueka area. I commented about all the nice grass and how the cows are lucky to be free out to pasture.

He corrected me that was an illusion. He saids that only young cows are allowed to roam, and that after a certain age (I think it was 2 years) they are confined to the barns, fed grain and given the usual hormones etc.

He also said that most of the milk sold in the stores is now made from powdered milk from China and that all the good milk products are exported as they get a better price for them overseas.

I definitely noticed that the taste of milk is not the same as in the old days (30 years ago) when you could go to any farm in NZ and get your gallon of raw fresh milk.

Any one have any though on this?

Total nonsense.

You talked to an "activist" (of what?) about dairy farming in a tobacco, vegetable and grape growing region! The North Island, Waikato area, is the predominant dairy farming region.

Powdered milk products are exported to China. Fresh milk is sold in NZ although with so many varieties: LoFat, A1, A2, ...with folate, with this with that ... it's hard to find anything tasting like milk straight from a cow any more.

Hmmm an activist in Mot huh? I grew up in Motueka during the tobacco growing era. Luckily during that time we didnt have a great deal of tree hugging, dreadlock wearing, unwashed, unemployed bums dreaming up all kinds of conspiracy theories. Really I think some of these types really need to wake up (And get a job)

Sure I havent returned to NZ for quite some years but I am sure that it hasnt changed that much.....its still a reasonably clean green country.

Fresh milk, fresh cream, good cheese are some of the many things that I do miss (And at a reasonable price too).

I had never seen any cows being housed in barns as suggested, to an average kiwi thats just daft. Most farm animals in NZ are always outdoors and allowed to roam, with the exception of some (Chickens and possibly pigs) A lot of the smaller holdings are fully organic too with free range chickens.

I do wonder sometimes why these 'activists' make up such rubbish, whats in it for them? But then I dont dwell on it for too long...they arent worth my time.

Im glad ThaiJames visited Motueka, it is a magical spot in NZ. Great weather most of the year, with all the outdoor activities within very short distance. And when I lived there it had a fantastic community spirit with very friendly people.

• 1 year later...
On 11/21/2015 at 9:50 AM, JLT said:

Really???

Butter?? Grass-fed cows??

That's why you came to Thailand??

Jeez, just when I thought TV threads couldn't get any more trite...

Dear Angry Internet Person,

This kind of comment baffles me. What, I'm only allowed to eat Thai food or something? Should I be more "authentic"? Am I allowed to eat butter if I offset it with pla ra (and I do like to get my pla ra on)? How about if I buy my veggies at the local green market? It breaks my heart that I'll never be authentic enough for people like you .Really it does. 

I didn't come to Thailand for butter. I didn't come to Thailand for "authentic Thai experiences" although I certainly have eaten a wide variety of Thai food. I came her for work, stayed for a girl, then another girl, then work. <deleted> I've been here 11 years. Apparently I wasn't supposed to be eating butter all that time. Oops. 

Your post is not only trite AF, it makes no sense. 

Regards

zbh

====

Meanwhile, I second the notion that Anchor is the best butter widely available in Thailand. A lot of the European butter I've tried here is rancid by the time it gets to my local Villa Market. Anchor never has been. If you want to know what a butter is really about, buy 'unsalted.' 

I still haven't found Kerrygold here, but I've heard it's available in Phnom Penh. 

Another option: if your plan for your butter is to make ghee, Murrah Farm (shop in BKK near the top of Ramkamhaeng 112) make a daisy ghee from curly horned Italian style buffalo milk. (they also make a good, fresh mozzarella, but that isn't a butter product so I won't mention it here).

PS 

Dear Next Angry Internet Person,

Yes, I'm aware it's an old thread. But it turns out Anchor butter is still available in supermarkets here in Thailand in 2017. So it this thread might be useful to the next person looking for butter in Thailand...

Archived