Koh samet condo, anybody bought one ? How many projects available ?

I'd be very careful. They are tearing down homes not far from us that were built by the sea illegally. Samet is a national park. Condos that are going up/planned might not have the proper titles. I'd suggest you check it out very carefully.

I know a guy who had his resort torn down on the island a few years ago. Political dispute, but he built on the properly illegally and knew it.

• Like 1

steve73, on 21 Nov 2015 - 11:46, said:

The only condo/resort I know of is called Pandora and is located outside of the NP (i.e turn right off the main jetty)... Farang developer.

I have a colleague who has bought one of these and I think the developer is Irish but as far as I am aware the whole island is a national park so it's caveat emptor, buyer beware.

• Like 2

How ridiculous can be some people to think that a building could be built on this island without all the the legal requirements. As if the local would let them do what they couldn't do themselves !

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ko_Samet

Popular with foreign tourists and as a weekend getaway for residents of nearby Bangkok, most of the island (excluding the Na Dan area) is in the Khao Laem Ya–Mu Ko Samet National Park. In 1981, the Royal Forest Department declared the archipelago of Samet, along with nine other small islands, the headland of Khao Laem Ya, and the 11 kilometres (6.8 mi) Mae Ramphueng Beach to be a national park, and thus Ko Samet is under the protection of the National Parks Division of the Thai government.

How ridiculous can be some people to think that a building could be built on this island without all the the legal requirements. As if the local would let them do what they couldn't do themselves !

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ko_Samet

Popular with foreign tourists and as a weekend getaway for residents of nearby Bangkok, most of the island (excluding the Na Dan area) is in the Khao Laem YaMu Ko Samet National Park. In 1981, the Royal Forest Department declared the archipelago of Samet, along with nine other small islands, the headland of Khao Laem Ya, and the 11 kilometres (6.8 mi) Mae Ramphueng Beach to be a national park, and thus Ko Samet is under the protection of the National Parks Division of the Thai government.

I would be scratching my head as to how a small area outside the National Park receive water and power, as well as proper garbage disposal...

A desalination plant, solar and wind power, and an incinerator next to the condo?

What's worse are all the blue plastic hoses running out to the sea that get turned on every night to empty the various resorts septic tanks. Sick.

Most of those blue hoses are used during the day to bring potable water onto the island.....I'd hope they're not the same ones used at night for the purpose you've suggested.... That said, I'm not sure how (whether???) they do remove the human waste... double yuk!

• Like 1

What's worse are all the blue plastic hoses running out to the sea that get turned on every night to empty the various resorts septic tanks. Sick.

Most of those blue hoses are used during the day to bring potable water onto the island.....I'd hope they're not the same ones used at night for the purpose you've suggested.... That said, I'm not sure how (whether???) they do remove the human waste... double yuk!

I've not been in a few years, but my friend last night told me about his 3am walk back to his room on the beach and according to him, the smell was terrible. Like you say, it's got to go somewhere. Unfortunately, the ocean is the only place it can go.

Now we know what the sea feeds on, and what we in turn eat as seafood...

Maintaining the balance of Nature!

• Like 1

You cannot buy these condos, just lease due to the title restrictions on koh Samet. From the developers web site:

"The lease is 3+3 years up to 99 years. (32 renewals), the lease has to be like this to co-inside with Koh Samet's "Gom Tanarak title". This is the only way you can have a property on Koh Samet. There are no other charges incurred on the renewal signing of the lease and it is on the same terms and conditions. The entire island of Koh Samet is on the same lease title, the reason it is like this is because Koh Samet is government owned and it's their way of being able to control what is built on Koh Samet, i.e. they don't want the island to be spoiled by high rise hotels"

Edited by pattjock
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You cannot buy these condos, just lease due to the title restrictions on koh Samet. From the developers web site:

"The lease is 3+3 years up to 99 years. (32 renewals), the lease has to be like this to co-inside with Koh Samet's "Gom Tanarak title". This is the only way you can have a property on Koh Samet. There are no other charges incurred on the renewal signing of the lease and it is on the same terms and conditions. The entire island of Koh Samet is on the same lease title, the reason it is like this is because Koh Samet is government owned and it's their way of being able to control what is built on Koh Samet, i.e. they don't want the island to be spoiled by high rise hotels"

My apartment lease for 30 years, with option to renew has declared VOID by Phuket Court . The Judgement said that the other buyers and I " had conspired to break the law".

ANYONE considering buying a new or resale apartment or a house, anywhere in Thailand, where the building is situated on leased land had better read up on this case. We've spent 2 million on lawyers, so far.

"...conspired to break the law" is a fair statement, don't you think?

• Like 1

Lease for an apartment when you could really own it ?

My apartment lease for 30 years, with option to renew has declared VOID by Phuket Court . The Judgement said that the other buyers and I " had conspired to break the law".
ANYONE considering buying a new or resale apartment or a house, anywhere in Thailand, where the building is situated on leased land had better read up on this case. We've spent 2 million on lawyers, so far.

"...conspired to break the law" is a fair statement, don't you think?
Please clarify

These are apartments, not condos - with 20% of units taken by Thai owners, 80% taken by Farang

50-60% of properties on Phuket are apartments. The rest are condos, where Farang are offered 49% of the units, freehold and if there are not enogh Thais buying the other 51%, then they are leased to Farang.

Now that, in my opinion, is conspiring to break the Condo Act.

Very interested in opinions, preferably with legal facts to back them up. Thanks

These are apartments, not condos - with 20% of units taken by Thai owners, 80% taken by Farang

50-60% of properties on Phuket are apartments. The rest are condos, where Farang are offered 49% of the units, freehold and if there are not enogh Thais buying the other 51%, then they are leased to Farang.

Now that, in my opinion, is conspiring to break the Condo Act.

Very interested in opinions, preferably with legal facts to back them up. Thanks

Should the developer lease out the unsold portion of the 51% using a 30-year lease as allowed by law, he and his lessees are making agreements within the law.

Only when the developer misleads his lessees with 30++ lease agreements that the law is broken.

The Condo Act remains intact when Thais hold the 51%.

thailanddogerator, on 21 Nov 2015 - 14:59, said:

There are 3 high rise condos built on Mae Ramphueng Beach, 1 unfinished derelict, the national park rules only allow building up to 5 stories high.....

A lot of the rules are being enforced strictly now about the use of land and some houses and restaurants have been torn down plus some bars closed although they turn a blind eye to the 3 wheeler traders selling alcohol close to where these bars were. Even Rayong Resort was told to remove it's pier although it looked like it was still there the other day so maybe has something to do with it's royal connections.

• 1 month later...

My friend has one on Samet.

The lease is complex but it's the same lease that all businesses and resorts on the island run.

He's getting nice returns. Over 10% so he is happy. They are on their third project now and selling really well so they must be doing something right.

• 1 year later...

I have been going to Samet for over 20 yrs - pretty much annually since my first daily visit early 1990's.  The services there have improved over this time and yes I thought the boats were leaving full of shit.  But No.  they come into the bay low on the gunwales, meaning their bilges are full.  They leave after divulging their potable (artistic licence is applied here) water with their gunwales well clear of the waterline, and the journey back is riskier than the journey in.  The boats are made for loading and that;s just what they do, but one of these days.  Seriously, they have a septic tank system for grey water which is not recycled except at the outfall next to Ploy Talay at least at Ao Saikaew

On 11/21/2015 at 2:59 PM, thailanddogerator said:

Except... that's exactly what happened, isn't it?

• Thanks 1