Prepare to pay 35 baht more for plane tickets

webfact

Isn't this what it all comes down to, where the extra money will actually go ?

I'd think most of us would happily pay extra for security but as always here when it comes to money there's always a big BUT involved so how much of this cash will be siphoned off, sorry I mean used for administrative costs etc.

Possibly the 35 Bahts is the cost of the link with the Interpol Database for airport check. There was an article about that a few month ago..

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although, only 35 baht, add that to the millions of passengers we are talking about lots of Baht. When I purchase a ticket departing from Thailand the taxes are already 50% of the ticket price.

Agh!, the airline is the defactor tax collector for the upper eschelon but 35 Bht? at what point, check in, ticket purchase, will it apply to all people or just farang? What a bunch of cynics are we, added security, streamlined processing, friendly IO's.............Welcome to/from the LoS

I wonder how many countries adopt the policy of making their visitors pay for protection? Furthermore on paying this extra fee, how can webe assured we are getting value for money?

"Furthermore on paying this extra fee, how can webe assured we are getting value for money?"

And just how much value do you think you might get for 35 baht ???

Just wondering.

Is this another knee jerk reaction to the activities of ISIS, most recently the bombing pf the Russian airline in Egypt - or is it a planned escalation, since the ashtrays of the AOT CEO's Benz are now full ?

In either case, it makes no sense whatever, since no terrorist would dream of going through passenger security. An airside security pass can be bought for next to nothing, for example from a catering company employee. Then he/she can simply walk in at leisure, with no need to line up.

Is this another knee jerk reaction to the activities of ISIS, most recently the bombing pf the Russian airline in Egypt - or is it a planned escalation, since the ashtrays of the AOT CEO's Benz are now full ?

In either case, it makes no sense whatever, since no terrorist would dream of going through passenger security. An airside security pass can be bought for next to nothing, for example from a catering company employee. Then he/she can simply walk in at leisure, with no need to line up.

Sorry you are sadly misinformed if I was you I would look at the security your example has to go through to get airs ide. As for terrorist not queuing how did they get on the planes for 9/11 or the shoe bomber. More and more now terrorists will board planes as normal so increased hi-tech can only be a good thing. And if it is as you say a knee jerk reaction Good something is happening

I just flew from don muang to Saigon and flew thru security. in all my travels round the world thai security is the easiest to get thru. I'm happy to pay 35 baht to feel more safe. to be honest I suprised their hasn't been at least a security scare with someone bringing something onboard illegally yet. its only a matter of time. best we all pay the 35 baht and nip this eventuality in the bud. thais need to shore up their screening process for carry ons RIGHT NOW.

the penniless visa-running TEFLer's just can't catch a break.

35b is like, a whole can of Chang.

I would not mind paying 500 BHT then they could get some real high tech equipment.

The best high tech that detects the "Hello Kitty" fingerclip at the 80 year old man won't improve security.

The whole high tech airport security is a hoax....terrorists just pick a different target....Bus station, Train station, Buses, trains. Everyone with an IQ of 80 can find 10 easy targets in 5 min.

Flights to and from my country (USA) are already checked. What is this 35 baht other than a way to scam me of one more dollar before I fly home.

Love it or hate it, USA probably has the best airport security in the world.

As a matter of fact, most civilized countries do.

I don't understand what difference is this 35 baht going to make as criminals are going to use land crossings as usual.

After the Paris attack I often wonder how would Thailand react to an organized terrorist attack.

My guess is Thailand would capitulate in 24 hours.

Maybe I am wrong.

.. are [some] on here really so concerned about where their extra 35 baht will go that they truly feel the need to start righteously debating it? (Maybe you could asked for printed itemisation!).. Oh, and I'd at least learn to spell and do grammar a bit, SOME of you indignant folks, before launching your literary well-I-must-just-says!!! :)

Sorry you are sadly misinformed if I was you I would look at the security your example has to go through to get airs ide. As for terrorist not queuing how did they get on the planes for 9/11 or the shoe bomber. More and more now terrorists will board planes as normal so increased hi-tech can only be a good thing. And if it is as you say a knee jerk reaction Good something is happening

9/11 and the shoe bomber were a very long time ago, and before many of the levels of passenger security were added - you can't realistically be saying that security delays were the same in those days.

Terrorists go after the soft target or seek the easy way to get it done. How can you say, "More and more now terrorists will board planes as normal" ? Please post your evidence for this. Recent history says exactly the opposite.

As for airside security, I am not "sadly misinformed". I have been airside at more than one AOT airport and I have seen lax to almost non-existent security, which unfortunately is the standard in many parts of the world. ......... and your experience is ?

Oh, once again the myth of American exceptionalism.

Of course, it depends how you define "best".

Undoubtedly the most secure is Israel. El Al, despite being under incessant terrorist attack, has only ever had one hijacking, and that was back in 1968. No one died. In one day America had 4 planes hijacked and 2,996 people died.

As for effectiveness, the TSA is high cost/low effectiveness (see, for example, http://www.forbes.com/sites/georgeleef/2014/10/09/tsa-boondoggles-high-costs-low-effectiveness-but-its-only-your-money/ ) and is undoubtedly extremely intrusive. In particular, its failure to target those groups which are most likely to carry out attacks smacks of ludicrous political correctness at the expense of efficiency.

If "best" means running up large profits at travellers' expense whilst achieving very little, then yes, it's the best.

I wonder how many countries adopt the policy of making their visitors pay for protection? Furthermore on paying this extra fee, how can webe assured we are getting value for money?

Taxes and surcharges from most European airports are double that of Thailand, so I guess many countries are and have been doing it for years already.

Oh, once again the myth of American exceptionalism.

Of course, it depends how you define "best".

Undoubtedly the most secure is Israel. El Al, despite being under incessant terrorist attack, has only ever had one hijacking, and that was back in 1968. No one died. In one day America had 4 planes hijacked and 2,996 people died.

As for effectiveness, the TSA is high cost/low effectiveness (see, for example, http://www.forbes.com/sites/georgeleef/2014/10/09/tsa-boondoggles-high-costs-low-effectiveness-but-its-only-your-money/ ) and is undoubtedly extremely intrusive. In particular, its failure to target those groups which are most likely to carry out attacks smacks of ludicrous political correctness at the expense of efficiency.

If "best" means running up large profits at travellers' expense whilst achieving very little, then yes, it's the best.

Ah yes, but Israel's airport security is different. It recognizes that terrorists are people, and is based to a large degree on both profiling and behaviour. This may be very effective, but it is totally unacceptable to the human rights fanatics. In the USA they are convinced that terrorism is committed by a 110 ml bottle of shampoo, while in the UK it is certain that terrorism is committed by a liquids bag that is either not "see through" or is larger than 1/2 liter.

How much Exit Tax do people pay again?

Was 500b in cash years ago, then it was added into the price of an international ticket. Up to 1000b by now?

Honest question.

you have it on some airlines booking...it is a lot....But in Europe it is even higher.

Making it expensive to travel is surely the best way to attract more tourists....because how much is the flight is the first thing a potential tourist sees....

9/11 and the shoe bomber were a very long time ago, and before many of the levels of passenger security were added - you can't realistically be saying that security delays were the same in those days.

Terrorists go after the soft target or seek the easy way to get it done. How can you say, "More and more now terrorists will board planes as normal" ? Please post your evidence for this. Recent history says exactly the opposite.

As for airside security, I am not "sadly misinformed". I have been airside at more than one AOT airport and I have seen lax to almost non-existent security, which unfortunately is the standard in many parts of the world. ......... and your experience is ?

I have worked ground crew in 4 diffrent airports and can say first hand the security for me to get through airside was intense. I'm not saying all airports run the same way but it's not the movies take where some cleaner will sell her Id to Bruce Willis. We all know if a determined attacker wants to commit harm he or she will device ways and will cercumvent new security eventually but any new system will make it more and more difficult. Many years ago a friend who is a security expert said there are only 2 ways to stop planes being blown up

1. Stop flying completely

2. Only people fly no luggage on planes with passengers. Luggage is flown separate. Something I belive happened in Egypt recently.

.. are [some] on here really so concerned about where their extra 35 baht will go that they truly feel the need to start righteously debating it? (Maybe you could asked for printed itemisation!).. Oh, and I'd at least learn to spell and do grammar a bit, SOME of you indignant folks, before launching your literary well-I-must-just-says!!! smile.png

These things are basically another tax and they will keep on steadily ticking their way up. Once they are in, they will never be taken out again because the income will be allocated into budgets and nobody wants their budget cut.

20 years of this across every aspect of life and Thailand will be like the UK. You pay all your income taxes then you pay for everything you use in your life separately.

Put a frog in boiling water and it will jump out. Put it in cold water and gradually increase the temperature and it will stay there until it boils.

"Furthermore on paying this extra fee, how can webe assured we are getting value for money?"

And just how much value do you think you might get for 35 baht ???

Just wondering.

Might get it in better perspective to phrase it as 2 billion baht a year.

I believe that all countries with screening do this. Have you ever looked at an airline ticket sold in the EU, or Canada, or the USA or Australia?

You don't fly much, otherwise you would be aware of charges like;

U.K. Passenger Service Charge U.S Passenger Facility Charge U.S.A Immigration User Fee U.K. Air Passenger Duty Australia Passenger Service Charge Canada Air Travellers Security Charge (ATSC) September 11 Security Fee USA U.S. Federal Customs Fee

Although, only 35 baht, add that to the millions of passengers we are talking about lots of Baht. When I purchase a ticket departing from Thailand the taxes are already 50% of the ticket price.

You sir are making a comment I would expect from a five year old.

I dont believe for 1 second that Thailand has links with all other countries immigration systems allowing them to see a so called blacklist. The only thing they will likely have is a data base for suspected terrorists and / or arrest warrants from Interpol, if that...

Isn't this what it all comes down to, where the extra money will actually go ?

I'd think most of us would happily pay extra for security but as always here when it comes to money there's always a big BUT involved so how much of this cash will be siphoned off, sorry I mean used for administrative costs etc.

Now much will be siphoned off - about 35 baht per passenger I would imagine.

Funny how every thread to do with charges gets turned into a tea money thread. Easy forget the upgrade as Thai Visa users belive you put the money in your pockets they don't care if airports here in Thailand fail to spot terrorists as long as you don't get your tea money

Because like everything in Thailand, when the price goes up the service doesn't necessarily improve.

Watch and see if their is increased more effective and efficient security and how long it lasts.

I have worked ground crew in 4 diffrent airports and can say first hand the security for me to get through airside was intense. I'm not saying all airports run the same way but it's not the movies take where some cleaner will sell her Id to Bruce Willis. We all know if a determined attacker wants to commit harm he or she will device ways and will cercumvent new security eventually but any new system will make it more and more difficult. Many years ago a friend who is a security expert said there are only 2 ways to stop planes being blown up

2. Only people fly no luggage on planes with passengers. Luggage is flown separate. Something I belive happened in Egypt recently.

If you worked airside at 4 different airports, you know each airport has strong points, as you say "intense", and weak points to its security. Some have few if any no strong points. I would love to see a comparison of security for the honey wagon at various airports around the world.

Your friend was quite right. Stop flying is the only answer. 'No checked bags'. is not a solution, since terrorists are people not luggage. Even 'no passengers' is not a solution since one of the aircrew might be a terrorist.

The sooner we realize that terrorists are humans, the sooner we might begin to solve the problem. It's quite useless to focus on the possessions of a potential terrorist - focus on the terrorist - is he nervous, sweating, elevated pulse, poor eye contact, suspicious profile - then he gets extra scrutiny, not his water bottle.

I know, I know it is against human rights to profile people. Does that mean it is a terrorist's right to kill others. If you don't like being profiled take a boat or a bus.

Edited by tigermonkey

Many years ago a friend who is a security expert said there are only 2 ways to stop planes being blown up

If the real danger is luggage, not people, why are we made to take off our belts and shoes?

Belt? There has never, ever been a successful shoe bombing in the history of aviation.

Shoes? There has never, ever been a successful shoe bombing in the history of aviation.

There once was a successful bombing with a bomb stuffed up a man's behind. The bomb was carried through airport security and onto a flight and could have been detonated in the air. (It was actually detonated after the flight.) So delighted where the mullahs by the success of the technique they issued fatwahs permitting gay anal sex for the purpose of widening the anus better to accommodate a bomb. Surely the security forces should be performing anal probes on all passengers if they are serious about security.

And as for duty free, why are we still permitted to take glass bottles onto planes? A smashed bottle is at least as formidable a weapon as the box cutters used on 11/9. (Oh, me, me, me! I know the answer: profits come before passenger security.)

Airport security is largely a farce, a charade, pure, pointless theatre.