Freak Show

hellyes2oo2

Isaangeorge, yes you are right it was 2012. As I said I did it for 3 months, I must have missed the first month, because I was reluctant to do it at first. The biggest problem I found was lack of equipment, and very much a lack of discipline. What I also found was that when I asked the kids what they wanted to do when they left school, out of 14 boys, 1 wanted to be a doctor, the other 13 all said they wanted to be farmers.Out of 12 girls, 10 wanted to be nurses, and the other 2 wanted to be on television. In the end it was very hard to get anything over to those 13 boys who wanted to be farmers, because they had no interest in learning English.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No it died, but was instigated, it was ฿10,000 a month for 4 months. I taught at my local school under it. Probably the best scheme they have had for teaching English, maybe that's why it died a quick death. It was during the summer of 2012, if I remember right.

Not being funny did they pay you or did you pay them 10,000 baht a month to teach. ?

Kwaibah, funnily enough they paid us. and all with the goverments permission. So it goes to show that when it suits the thais, no work permits are needed.

Which bring us back to the first question. did you get an official document from them?

Irrespective how legal it was, I very much doubt anything like it will happen again as they are 'trying' not to rely so much on 'expensive' foreign teachers. The government seem to be trying to improve the proficiency of Thai's teaching Engrish.

That's this government, every government has a different idea. Besides native speaking English teachers are cheap. They are lucky to get ฿30,000 a month for 20 hours a week, most of the Thai Teachers I worked with were making that, some more, and they were working less than 20 hours a week.

It is good to show, that we can work to :-)

But I have one question, every time someone say you help the family or a friend or the whole village,

some one very quick tells you can't work whiteout work permission,

you really need that, if you help without getting paid?

One thing if you work and get paid!

Yes, in thailand you are required to have a work permit even for volunteer work.

I don't know of anyone who has been in trouble for it, and i work for free myself at times.

But that is the law.

Someone may get upset if they think you are doing work a Thai should do and get paid for.

Some times Thais are their own worst enemy,in my wife's village the head Teacher can say Hello in English and the children can say good morning, my wife told me they would like me to teach some English,which was for free,I had no problem with this,but not when there is a problem with Thai Immigration laws! free or not.

Just like the Foreign Tsunami volunteers who got their marching orders,for not having work permits six months after Phuket was brought back to life,that finished me even considering the freebies. As a natural Speaker,i'm sure I could have been a good asset to this backward rural school,.... Mai Pen Rai!

It is good to show, that we can work to :-)

But I have one question, every time someone say you help the family or a friend or the whole village,

some one very quick tells you can't work whiteout work permission,

you really need that, if you help without getting paid?

One thing if you work and get paid!

Yes, in thailand you are required to have a work permit even for volunteer work.

I don't know of anyone who has been in trouble for it, and i work for free myself at times.

But that is the law.

Someone may get upset if they think you are doing work a Thai should do and get paid for.

Some times Thais are their own worst enemy,in my wife's village the head Teacher can say Hello in English and the children can say good morning, my wife told me they would like me to teach some English,which was for free,I had no problem with this,but not when there is a problem with Thai Immigration laws! free or not.

Just like the Foreign Tsunami volunteers who got their marching orders,for not having work permits six months after Phuket was brought back to life,that finished me even considering the freebies. As a natural Speaker,i'm sure I could have been a good asset to this backward rural school,.... Mai Pen Rai!

It is against the law, but ususlly working for free is not a problem.

But....if a Thai person thinks you are doing work for free that they could be getting paid for..they may complain and then you are in trouble.

Also, if you have made any enemies, it is a good and easy way for themto get back at you.

It's a good idea not to piss anyone off, or even lose your temper.

I had a similar experience in Sakon Nakhon in 1998.

Our house backed onto a large pond and it was not unusual for snakes to get over the small boundary wall and enter the house so I designed and built what was basically a large conservatory.

Firstly I took the plans to the local timber yard to order the framing and other parts, this resulted in everyone there, including the fork truck driver, to examine my drawings and they appeared to disbelieve that I had done the drawings.

Later on when the parts arrived at the house and I started to erect the structure (by myself) family, friends and neighbors (even people from the house builders) came by and just stood with their mouths open watching me work. Pictures were taken (more of the structure than me) as most people decided they wanted something similar at their homes.

The best though was my mother-in-law's friends; They all came around one day and arranged chairs in the middle of my nice new concrete floor and just sat there watching me work for about 2 hours.

My family's used to me now. If I can do it myself I will, partly because I don't want to pay someone, but also because I enjoy the labour and the sense of accomplishment at a job well done.

Have had people watch over the years, but as one guy visiting said, it was good to see a foreigner working because so many sat around doing nothing all day.

My wife's family all believe in doing the work themselves if they can, and it's nice to have a couple of beers with them after a hard day's graft.

I couldn't care less about a work permit for doing stuff on my own land. Those that keep on going on about it need to get a life. All the Thais where or house is in rural Buriram couldn't care less. I doubt they even know the law really.

This was my last construction.

post-112437-14488846098175_thumb.jpg

Archived