New rules about driving license form January 2016

nasa123

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He said he renewed his licence. Unless you can do that at 7/11 now then he was at the Land transport office. They are the ones that issue DL's so official. No?

You can renew your licence at 7/11?

Yes along with your 90 day report cheesy.gif

Actually, you can find the love of your life as well. Makes it to a 3 in 1 place. One stop "servince." ( Seen in Sisaket tourist information) thumbsup.gif

P.S. My 19 months older brother in Germany has a driving school and a motorcycle license, plus the allowance to ride a big bike is not less than about 2,000 Euros. If you do a red light, or your point account is full, you might have to see him, or any of his colleagues and pay a lot of cash for a refresh course.

I payed 1,000 something baht, not Euros last time when I extended. And I can apply for an international DP at my local TD and drive around in Mozambique, Zimbabwe, or in Manila with it.

DELETED

Edited by seedy
troll / flaming

Doing this the Thai way will consist of the 8 hours and the test....and then redo the same exact test again and again until you reach 95% correct answers.....gigglem.gif

After 3 test and now past the Computer test, back to school fore new 8 hours sad.png

Renewing my Thai 5yr driver's license at Bangkok Land Transport office Sukhumvit 99/1.

Yesterday in preparation to renew my license, I went to Immigration Dept (Chaengwattana) and inquired about obtaining a "certificate of residence" needed for license renewal. The immigration officer asked me how long I lived in Thailand and did I always do the 90 day reporting. I told him I been here 8 years and report as required every 90 days. He then informed me that they would arrange a police visit to my address to verify that I lived there and in would take 3 weeks and cost 200 Baht. When I asked if I could get the certificate right away (express service) and not wait 3 weeks he informed me if I want that then best to get a letter from my embassy stating my address. So I downloaded the form "requesting the Thai Authority to issue me a Thai Driver's License" which was just filling in my name and address. So this morning with an appointment in hand, I proceeded to my embassy (U.S.) and had the form signed off by the Consular Associate. The charge was $50 or 1800 Baht.

With this subsitute form, my current 5 year license with a copy of front and back sides of the license, copy of my passport id page, copy of my visa details (retirement) and latest extension, and my current TM 6 card (don't know if needed), I arrived at the Land Transport office Sukhumvit 99/1 just before 9:00am. I was instructed to counter 9 where a lady checked my documents and then issued me a number. Later I picked up all the documents, but since today seemed rather crowded, I was in the third group of people for watching a video about the 4 physical test to be conducted. A depth perception test by aligning two bars, a reaction test to see how fast to apply brakes, a peripheral vision test with red, yellow, and green lights, and a color vision test using the same colors. After completion of the physical tests we were sent to watch an almost hour video basically comparing a good driver vs a careless driver. Don't sit near the fan at the front unless you want to get hypothermic. Anyway after that challenge we then proceeded to go to counter 8 returning all our documents including the test results. I was given #259 and the current number processing was #180. I went outside to get warm and get a quick snack and water at the small food court going left out the front of the building. Finally my number was called. I went to the desk, a picture was taken, I paid 605 Baht, and was issued a new license for another 5 years (the license number was the same as before). Total time a bit over 3 hours.

Thanks for the report.

Except for the bothersome/expensive requirements to get a cert. of residence, nothing unusual.

You had to produce the usual "medical/health certificate" also I suppose?

Edited by KhunBENQ

Thanks for the report.

Except for the bothersome/expensive requirements to get a cert. of residence, nothing unusual.

Quite often not required for renewal 5 to 5.

You can buy an International Drivers License on line and avoid that problem.

Also I doubt that will apply to renewing a Thai License for a foreigner.

An International Licence needs to be purchased in your home country and accompanies your valid DL for that country allowing you to drive internationally for a specified time of normally 12 months. Buying on line at costs Ive seen advertised 2-3K baht are worthless pieces of plastic.

In which legal text and where would you find the requirement that an International Licence must be purchased in your home country?

What is your home country?

The country where you spend most of your time?

The country(ies) where you have permanent addresses?

The country in which your licence was issued?

The country(ies) that issued a passport to you?

Could you elaborate and substantiate what you claim above?

The country in which your licence was issued

Thats my bet.

The IDP is issued on the basis of a national DL and that will only be done in the country which issued the national DL.

By the rules it is possible to get an IDP from Thailand based on a non-temporary Thai DL and use it in other countries, even in the country which nationality you have.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Re: renewal of my 5yr. DL at Dept of Land Transportation Sukhumvit 99/1 on Dec 2. no health certificate was asked for which was consistent with my previous visit in 2010 when I renewed my DL from the initial 1yr. DL. The only time I was required to have the health certificate was for my very first application for a Thai DL.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: renewal of my 5yr. DL at Dept of Land Transportation Sukhumvit 99/1 on Dec 2. no health certificate was asked for which was consistent with my previous visit in 2010 when I renewed my DL from the initial 1yr. DL. The only time I was required to have the health certificate was for my very first application for a Thai DL.

Yes correct you ned health certificate only first time, and Dept of Land Transportation tell me about 3 weeks ago you ned only health certificate first time here in Phuket.

• 3 months later...

31 MARCH 2016:

I was issued a 2 year temporary motorcycle license and 2-yr car license yesterday, DLT Mo Chit, Bangkok.

There were 50 questions. Just practise with some of the tests provided online and you will pass.

For motorcycle tests, get there early (8am) and you could be done in 3 hours tops, including long queues, running to different tests, photocopying, etc.

I showed my UK licence and that was enough to be issued a Thai licence along with doing all the motorcycle tests.

Good report and confirming that "New rules" are not biggrin.png

"100 questions", a typical example for unfounded internet rumor,

45 of 50 questions must be answered correctly, 90% as been for quite a while.

Source please (maybe there is).

The rules have already been changed (was it this year or end of last year?) to 50 questions, 45 to be correct, 90%.

I had to sit for a whole office day in a morning and afternoon session to listen to lengthy lectures and watching a boring video.

So the 8h sit in does not sound like new to me.

Theory test next morning.

Had 47 correct, passed.

That was in July this year (2015) for motorcycle license.

100 questions, 95 correct? The Thais already have to struggle hard to match the 45 q. (90%) limit.

And the test duration would reach an unbearable length.

As far as I remember they have already up to 2 (!) h for the 50 questions?

Just checked: the last change to 50 q. with 45 correct was on June 1st, 2014.

BTW: for Thais there is a pool of 1000 (!) questions from which 50 are selected for the test.

In English the pool consists of only 90 (!) questions.

attachicon.gif50q.jpg

You must be in Bangkok. I have a Thai friend who applied for a motorbike licence 2 years ago & the new procedure is this:

Day 1: Theory test

Day 2: Practical / Visions tests

Day 3: Full day of lectures delivered at a local university

I'll hopefully be going through the process myself next month so will report back then...

You must be in Bangkok

Not quite, 370 km straight line biggrin.png

Theory test before lectures/schooling?

Theory test before physical/eye test?

Only in Thailand.

I found the organization at my DLT quite logical.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Thanks for the report.

That seems to be a contentious issue depending upon which LTO you apply to

Some have reported that you must have a residency certificate to renew a 5 year license and others report that all that is required is your old license, so long as it has not expired for over a year

Last time I renewed my 5 year license in Pattaya (4 years ago) no residency certificate was required, just the old license, yet some are reporting that Pattaya is now requiring a residency certificate, either from your Embassy (expensive) or from Immigration, to renew your 5 year license

Thanks for the report.

That seems to be a contentious issue depending upon which LTO you apply to

Some have reported that you must have a residency certificate to renew a 5 year license and others report that all that is required is your old license, so long as it has not expired for over a year

Last time I renewed my 5 year license in Pattaya (4 years ago) no residency certificate was required, just the old license, yet some are reporting that Pattaya is now requiring a residency certificate, either from your Embassy (expensive) or from Immigration, to renew your 5 year license

I was answering the question about the medical certificate.

• 4 weeks later...
I got today at Cha'Am my thai driving licenses (temprary car and motorbike), but why are they valid from the 26th of April 2016 until the 26th of April 2018 , thus 2 years ???? Usually it's only 1 year.
I didn't check the licenses at Land Transport Office, did the law change again ?

• 2 weeks later...

Went this week to renew a 5-year motorcycle license. I prepared myself to be inconvenienced for a couple hours at maximum, since I work a full-time job. After all, what could be so complicated about punching a hole through the old license, snapping your photo, and issuing the new one? (Rosy-tinted western spectacles).

WRONG!

Showed up mid-morning to do the usual paperwork (making copies of work permit, old license, passport); signing a handful of documents in Thai). Then, was told to "wait until 12:30" to take the physical response test. Since my home and the city is 20km from the Land Transportation Office, waited around for the test rather than making another trip.

At about 12:45, they slowwwwwwly sent a mass of people (40-50) through a physical response test: identify the colors of a traffic light, depth perception test, and "hit the brake" response test. The brake test equipment kept braking down while we waited for a technician to show up and jiggle a few wires. (1-1/2 to 2 hours).

Afterwards, was told to go wait in a 35-38 degree room with the air-conditioners pumping out hot air. After waiting 20-30 minutes, they put on a Thai-language driving safety video. "Hey no problem," I thought, "anybody can put up with a foreign-language video for a few minutes. WRONG. It was a 90+ minute video in which the same car/motorbike crash clips were played over and over, ad nauseum. Forty-five minutes into the video, I looked around at the crowd of 50 or so people: those who weren't playing on their smartphones were sound asleep. With the A/C problem, it was like a sauna in which everyone was soaked by the end of the session. After the video, we waited another 20 minutes for someone to show up to inform us of the next step.

When they came, we had to walk up to the front of the room, one by one, and sign a ledger that was written all in Thai. I looked for my name, but couldn't find it--the officer just pointed at a handwritten line in Thai and barked "sign here!" That took another hour.

After that, herded to another room where (finally), the 400B fee was paid, photos taken, and new licenses issued (2 hours).

Is the reader adding up the time? One day, flushed down the toilet.

Ironically, when I got my first license, I just showed my home country's license, and was in and out in under 20 minutes--no test and a 250-baht fee.

The game has changed significantly. I really look forward to renewing my CAR driving license in less than a year!

Edited by Fookhaht

Nice "background story".

Where was this?

At our office (Chum Phae, Khon Kaen):

devices for reaction and peripheral vision tests broken (seems since long). No one cares.

So only color spots (circle chart) to identify.

AC worked!

But the big video screen broken.

Whole class enjoying a fairly small tube TV gigglem.gif

Some playing on their smartphones, some sleeping and a nerve wracking couple yak loudly.

Brazen ignorants wink.png

(experienced last year when doing bike license from scratch)

Edited by KhunBENQ

The rules have already been changed (was it this year or end of last year?) to 50 questions, 45 to be correct, 90%.

I had to sit for a whole office day in a morning and afternoon session to listen to lengthy lectures and watching a boring video.

Had 47 correct, passed.

100 questions, 95 correct? The Thais already have to struggle hard to match the 45 q. (90%) limit.

BTW: for Thais there is a pool of 1000 (!) questions from which 50 are selected for the test.

attachicon.gif50q.jpg

Like a say from January 1. 2016. NEW ROULS. They tell every Farang and Thai last day (when we se this movie we se every time we want new license) , from next year it`s be more strict and difficult to take Driving license in Thailand, and if you forget to renew you must take the school and new test, what more can a say.

In English please?

Had 47 correct, passed.

attachicon.gif50q.jpg

Like a say from January 1. 2016. NEW ROULS. They tell every Farang and Thai last day (when we se this movie we se every time we want new license) , from next year it`s be more strict and difficult to take Driving license in Thailand, and if you forget to renew you must take the school and new test, what more can a say.

In English please?

Doesn't matter, this whole thread about new rules has proved to be incorrect.

Renewed 5 year in Rayong today, expired a month ago. Paperwork in the morning, eye colour check only (afternoon) 90 min video some guy talking for half an hour, photograph and now licence another half hour.

All day job. Valid now 6 years till 2022