ED Visa learning Chinese

I'm thinking about starting a course in Mandarin (Chinese) in a school / university that gives a one year ED visa.

Can anyone confirm it is possible (to get a ed visa learning chinese and not thai) ?

Also can anyone recommend a good school to do this ? (i realy want to learn it so it would be nice if they have native teachers and/or good teachers)

Bangkok would be best but i can consider Pattaya.

Thanks !

Probably best to ask in the language-school-forum about courses.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/182-language-school-courses/

It is extremely unlikely that you will be able to obtain a one year Ed visa anywhere in the Region.

The best available would be a single entry Ed visa which provides an initial 90 day stay. Extending that stay can be done at immigration but is dependent on paperwork supplied by the school.

There's talk about immigration stopping ED visas for institutions that aren't accredited by the MOE. In fact I'd be very surprised if that didn't happen. Basically, ED visas would only be granted for people studying at universities, I'd keep that in mind.

Edited by T100

There's talk about immigration stopping ED visas for institutions that aren't accredited by the MOE. In fact I'd be very surprised if that didn't happen. Basically, ED visas would only be granted for people studying at universities, I'd keep that in mind.

Where did you hear this "talk".

If an "informal" language school is not accredited by the MOA it is not possible to obtain an Ed visa or any extensions of stay.

This 'talk' is fairly common knowledge, within privately owned language schools and universities. The gist of it is that only formal educational facilities (universities) will be able to obtain ED visas for students. Soon after the BKK bombing, the chief of police said there were 'too many foreigners in Thailand, on ED visas from bogus language schools'. This kind of move was inevitable.

This 'talk' is fairly common knowledge, within privately owned language schools and universities. The gist of it is that only formal educational facilities (universities) will be able to obtain ED visas for students. Soon after the BKK bombing, the chief of police said there were 'too many foreigners in Thailand, on ED visas from bogus language schools'. This kind of move was inevitable.

Just rumour then and nothing substantive.

Do you have a link to reports of the Chief of Police saying " there were 'too many foreigners in Thailand, on ED visas from bogus language schools'" or is this just another unsubstantiated rumour ?

The quote from the chief of police was in Bangkok post, the week of the bombing. The OP can make his own mind up,if I were him though I wouldn't waste my money on a language school ED visa. They may offer 12 month visas, but you have to pay to extend them every 3 months. Unlike an ED from a University, where you'll only have to send off the 90 day reports.

Edited by T100

You can get an ED visa to study Mandarin, yes. It has to be a school accredited by the Ministry of Ed. I got an ED visa to study Japanese. The same school offers an ED visa to study Mandarin. You will have to fill out forms showing that you are going to class everyday and stating what you learn in every single class. Everyone I know who got an ED visa to study Japanese, Chinese, and English in Thailand got tested at immigration and at the Ministry of Ed. Nobody ever tested me. The people who were faking it got rejected on their visa extensions because they couldn't pass the test. So either you have to be going to class for real, or you have to be proficient already in what you are claiming to be learning so that you can pass the simple tests they give you.

It will cost about the same as studying Thai (i.e., you pay for the ED visa sponsorship and several months of classes).

I don't know why people above are telling you that you can't do it, it's weird that they would feel the need to post about something they know nothing about, but that is common on this site.

I don't think anyone is saying he 'can't' get an ED visa and learn Chinese at a language school? He obviously can,at least for now, but personally I'm convinced that language school ED visas are about to take a massive dive. Wait and see..

You can get an ED visa to study Mandarin, yes. It has to be a school accredited by the Ministry of Ed. I got an ED visa to study Japanese. The same school offers an ED visa to study Mandarin. You will have to fill out forms showing that you are going to class everyday and stating what you learn in every single class. Everyone I know who got an ED visa to study Japanese, Chinese, and English in Thailand got tested at immigration and at the Ministry of Ed. Nobody ever tested me. The people who were faking it got rejected on their visa extensions because they couldn't pass the test. So either you have to be going to class for real, or you have to be proficient already in what you are claiming to be learning so that you can pass the simple tests they give you.

It will cost about the same as studying Thai (i.e., you pay for the ED visa sponsorship and several months of classes).

I don't know why people above are telling you that you can't do it, it's weird that they would feel the need to post about something they know nothing about, but that is common on this site.

Strange !

Where are these post which tell the OP "he can't do it" ?

This school offers a Chinese course that is MOE approved: http://www.tlslanguageschool.com/ed-visa. It would be best to contact them direct to find out exactly the length of a visa/extension of stay that is available with the new rule changes regarding attendance hours. They have classrooms in Bangkok and Pattaya.

I'm pretty sure this is possible. I considered it years ago, but stuck with learning Thai. My 2 cents is that is is MUCH better to study Chinese in China (Mandarin or Cantonese....I like Cantonese). If you have time, I would really consider going to China. My mind would get confused when I walked outside and only heard Thai, only saw Thai to read, and everyone (ok, not everyone) talking Thai. Wouldn't it be nice if it was all in Chinese? my thoughts..

Strange !

Where are these post which tell the OP "he can't do it" ?

Sorry, sorry, I skimmed the comments about "rumours" and thought they were saying that it's only rumours that such a visa can be obtained. I know realize that they were rumours about changes in granting a visa.

They teach Chinese at the language school where I learn Thai and they sort out all the ED visa paperwork. It's called Pro language and is close to Asok BTS station in Sukhumvit rd, on the 10th floor of Times square building. www.prolanguage.co.th

They teach Chinese at the language school where I learn Thai and they sort out all the ED visa paperwork. It's called Pro language and is close to Asok BTS station in Sukhumvit rd, on the 10th floor of Times square building. www.prolanguage.co.th

Pro Language has had a serious problem with their ED visa language extensions for about a year now. Immigration is only allowing 30 days for students of Pro Language. That means you'll have to extend your visa every 30 days. That's not only a 1900 baht fee every month, but it's a lengthy trip to the office up in Jaeng Watthana every month as well. And re-entry permits issued with that 30 day visa are also only good for 30 days. It's a pretty serious inconvenience.

Better to go with another school until Pro Language gets their problem worked out with immigration.

Quite a few people with ED visas from (various) language schools have only been getting one month extensions. Immigration think that most language schools are just falang visa mills.

" Immigration think that most language schools are just falang visa mills. "

Really ?

MOST language schools anywhere in Thailand ?

Details please

• Like 1

Put it this way, no language school students are getting 12 month extensions for their visas. A three month extension, each time they go, is the best they can hope for. That's not the case with an ED visa from a university, where 12 month extensions are regularly issued. Why do you think that is?

Put it this way, no language school students are getting 12 month extensions for their visas. A three month extension, each time they go, is the best they can hope for. That's not the case with an ED visa from a university, where 12 month extensions are regularly issued. Why do you think that is?

Nothing has changed and Universities do not issue Ed visas !

Informal education sector "students" have never been been able to obtain anything other than a 90 day extension.

• Like 1

As a previous post has just suggested, things have changed. Some people are now only getting 1 month extensions with language school ED visas. I was on an ED visa obtained through a Thai university, up until the end of last year. They don't 'issue'visas, they apply for the visa and immigration issue it. If your ED visa is from a university you'll get a 12 month extension at immigration. If it's from a language school you won't.

Edited by T100

Language schools are in the informal category along with other types of schools. Informal schools only get 90 day extensions up to a total stay of one year.

Universities are considered formal schools and get one year extensions. and are allowed to renew those one year year extensions.

Thanks for all the answers guys !
To clarify my situation : i want to long term visa to stay in Thailand for one year and i'm serious about wanting to learn so i'm trying two kill two birds with one stone.
Then in one year i plan, as one poster suggested, to go to China directlty to learn there.

@T100 : What do you suggest i should do, then ?

@timmyp : they also test people learning japanese or chinese ? How would they know if they're good ot not ? (i mean, i can understand thai tests but for the rest..)

Thanks for all the answers guys !

To clarify my situation : i want to long term visa to stay in Thailand for one year and i'm serious about wanting to learn so i'm trying two kill two birds with one stone.

Then in one year i plan, as one poster suggested, to go to China directlty to learn there.

@T100 : What do you suggest i should do, then ?

@timmyp : they also test people learning japanese or chinese ? How would they know if they're good ot not ? (i mean, i can understand thai tests but for the rest..)

Kid yourself not.

There are many Chinese/Thai people who speak fluent "Chinese" .

The only "long term" visa you might get is a multi entry Ed visa which you would have to obtain, with the correct school supplied paperwork, from the Thai Embassy in your own country.

There are plenty of schools offering visas to study Thai cooking / Thai boxing etc

I would imagine they're not going to ask you to make them a noodlesoup in a crowded immigration office so these "skills" would be pretty hard to test....

Please PM me with a list of "schools" providing cooking or boxing education registered with the MOE which offer to support application for an ED visa .