Yellow book / Blue book when renting

Looking at renting a home in my name. Just wondering what I need to do to get a yellow book? (or is it blue book?)

The agent told me I have to sort that out myself but I thought I read somewhere the lessee should organize a yellow book for me.

How does it all work?

I read somewhere the government is actually obligated to give you a yellow book ie it's Ur right. May be a different story getting that past the officials. Does the yellow book finish when you finish your rental and move somewhere else?

I read somewhere the government is actually obligated to give you a yellow book ie it's Ur right. May be a different story getting that past the officials. Does the yellow book finish when you finish your rental and move somewhere else?

Can you provide a link to that "I read somewhere the government is actually obligated to give you a yellow book ie it's Ur right" comment?

While you look again for that reference please refer to MJCM's post above. Bottom line a Yellow Book is hard to get in some amphurs; not too hard in others. Kinda like opening a bank account in Thailand...one branch may turn you down flat but one a few meters further down the soi will gladly open an account for you. All depends on the people you are dealing with...some seem to be farang friendly; other not so.

Anyway, a Yellow Book is nothing more than a Certificate of Residence as it's an address registration booklet issued to a foreigner by the local Thai govt. I got mine here in Bangkok within two weeks of arriving Thailand...took about two hours at the local khet (district) office and was practically free....I saw practically because I paid around Bt20 for some administrative fee associated with the book's issue. I went with my Thai wife and a Thai friend.

The Yellow Book has come in handy for me because as an officially issued Thai govt document saying I have an address in Thailand it has prevented me from ever having to spend time and money to go to Thai Immigration or my home country consulate to get a Certificate of Residence. I've opened numerous bank accounts, bought a vehicle, got drivers licenses, tax refunds, etc., with the Yellow Book serving as a Certificate of Residence. The Yellow Book just seems to put at ease the people your are trying to get something from such as a bank account, drivers license, buying vehicle, etc...etc...etc.

The first step of getting the yellow book for a rented property is getting permission from the owner to get one since it is based upon their blue book. That could be the hardest part.

A yellow book is for only one residence. If you move you have to get a new one after having the other one cancelled.

Have you looked at this pinned topic on this forum, Yellow Tabien Bahn

Can you provide a link to that "I read somewhere the government is actually obligated to give you a yellow book ie it's Ur right" comment?

While you look again for that reference please refer to MJCM's post above. Bottom line a Yellow Book is hard to get in some amphurs; not too hard in others. Kinda like opening a bank account in Thailand...one branch may turn you down flat but one a few meters further down the soi will gladly open an account for you. All depends on the people you are dealing with...some seem to be farang friendly; other not so.

Anyway, a Yellow Book is nothing more than a Certificate of Residence as it's an address registration booklet issued to a foreigner by the local Thai govt. I got mine here in Bangkok within two weeks of arriving Thailand...took about two hours at the local khet (district) office and was practically free....I saw practically because I paid around Bt20 for some administrative fee associated with the book's issue. I went with my Thai wife and a Thai friend.

The Yellow Book has come in handy for me because as an officially issued Thai govt document saying I have an address in Thailand it has prevented me from ever having to spend time and money to go to Thai Immigration or my home country consulate to get a Certificate of Residence. I've opened numerous bank accounts, bought a vehicle, got drivers licenses, tax refunds, etc., with the Yellow Book serving as a Certificate of Residence. The Yellow Book just seems to put at ease the people your are trying to get something from such as a bank account, drivers license, buying vehicle, etc...etc...etc.

Well I'm not going to sift through 100s of posts but I clearly remember it and the guy actually provided a link to the thai legislation. Anyway, having gone through all the processes with drivers licenses and difficult officials I wouldn't be foolish enough to walk in and "demand my rights"

The first step of getting the yellow book for a rented property is getting permission from the owner to get one since it is based upon their blue book. That could be the hardest part.

A yellow book is for only one residence. If you move you have to get a new one after having the other one cancelled.

Have you looked at this pinned topic on this forum, Yellow Tabien Bahn

For me, the Thai wife and I own our house/dirt here in Bangkok. The Blue Book for our residence was one of the required docs to get my Yellow Book.

It took a month to get the interview too. They explained they were very busy with yellow books, permanent residencies and naturalisations. In Bangkok I believe that Wattana district does a higher percentage due to the area it covers and the higher incidence of foreign people living in the district.