Free public transport to be restricted to needy people, govt says

rooster59

Free public transport to be restricted to needy people, govt says

BANGKOK: THE government will not scrap free city buses and third-class train rides, but will implement measures soon to ensure such services go to those who need them most, the government has said.

The new measures are slated for introduction on April 30.

Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha has instructed the Transport Ministry to find effective ways to help low-income people amid rising living costs, government Spokesman Maj-General Sansern Kaewkamnerd said yesterday.

The details of a new measure to provide free bus and train travel for certain groups was being studied and linked with the database for low-income people, he said.

"The government isn't thinking of cancelling free bus/train services, but PM Prayut wants it to truly aid low-income persons and for the budget management to be financially efficient," he said.

Sansern said taxpayers' money had been used to subsidise free services and they were being used by higher income earners and foreign tourists - not the target groups. This had resulted in a heavy burden and continuing losses.

He said the Transport Ministry, Interior Ministry and the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration would soon organise the registration of low-income people and conduct an annual basic minimum needs survey. Both jobs are slated for completion in April.

A low-income earner - someone who makes less than Bt3,632 a month - and children aged under 12 would not have to pay bus fares or would receive a discount, Sansern said, adding that a monthly pass system to accommodate low-income earners and children aged under 12 would be established.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Free-public-transport-to-be-restricted-to-needy-pe-30273464.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-11-22

A post has been removed, please read the forum rules, specifically this one:-

1) You will not express disrespect of the King of Thailand or any one member of the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution.

By law, the Thai Royal Family are above politics. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family.*
Discussion of the Lese Majeste law or Lese Majeste cases is permitted on the forum, providing no comment or speculation is made referencing the royal family.

High income don't take non-aircond buses as it very hot and dirty.

of course they do its free, Thai love free, mrs and me get them a lot. Earning less than 4k a month is not high income, but that's the cut off point

Edited by jacky54

One looks forward to seeing how this new policy is enforced. It rather looks like it will end up costing the taxpayer even more in attempting to regulate who uses the service. Impecunious farang pensioners will suffer.

If the impecunious farang pensioners are British they have the option of living in the UK where they can use the bus for free.

And while we're having a moan, let's mention the BTS's discriminatory policy towards farang over 60s.

To their credit, the MRT by contrast does not discriminate.

Just why is it "discriminatory" for an enterprise providing a public service to decline to extend discounts to foreign expats who for the most part, enjoy an income level higher than a majority of the local citizenry.

I appreciate that I save a few Baht on the MRT but I do not consider "Senior Discounts" an entitlement I have earned by managing to grow old.

Most discounts I see aimed at seniors are more promotional than anything else. Restaurants often offer such discounts during normally dead hours between 4 to 6pm or early weekdays. It's a nice perk and I appreciate it when it is offered but to consider oneself discriminated against when such a discount is not extended seems to me rather absurd.

Edited by dddave

Here’s another idea that needs to be tackled:

Free Thai Airways flights to be restricted only to the greediest people.

Because taxpayers' money had been used to subsidize free flights and they were being used by higher income earners – the target group.

And while we're having a moan, let's mention the BTS's discriminatory policy towards farang over 60s.

Just why is it "discriminatory" for an enterprise providing a public service to decline to extend discounts to foreign expats who for the most part, enjoy an income level higher than a majority of the local citizenry.

I appreciate that I save a few Baht on the MRT but I do not consider "Senior Discounts" an entitlement I have earned by managing to grow old.

Most discounts I see aimed at seniors are more promotional than anything else. Restaurants often offer such discounts during normally dead hours between 4 to 6pm or early weekdays. It's a nice perk and I appreciate it when it is offered but to consider oneself discriminated against when such a discount is not extended seems to me rather absurd.

It is discriminatory because the fare is determined by race. Why is that so difficult to understand? While they're at it, why not have different prices marked up in the supermarket. Let's have a row for those earning 10,000 baht or less, another for those earning 10,000-20,000 and so on. Those who earn more pay more. And let's have a row for non-Thais who must pay more regardless of how much the Thai customers earn. You know, the same policy you support with the BTS.

Edited by Bangkok Barry

Cineplex also issues 60 baht tickets on tues to over 60, falang as well, how do the BTS get away with it? oh yes this is Thailand

I don't know if anyone has ever calculated:

If I make every public transportation free in Bangkok, I loose a lot money, BUT I also save a lot money:

All money collectors, the boots in the skytrain with 4 people inside, the computers the electronic etc.

There would be less cars on the street so saving on streets, accidents, delays, road maintenance.

Having less polution, better city, more tourists.

Would be interesting....I can't image that the cheap buses make so much money that it is worth it.

The only reason foreign tourists are using the free buses is because they are not marked in any way in English as free buses. So a backpacker waiting at Khao San for the #15 gets on the free #15 not knowing it's any different than any other piece of shit red unairconditioned #15 bus.

Getting back on subject...

I think it makes good sense. The issue is how do u determine low income earners when someone gets on the bus? Children and the old are easy but what about everyone else? A poor person id card?

Many other countries have the concession card, that would be a good start. How to distribute the card could be a challenge though, great idea if they can implement it.

You will notice numbers are never mentioned, apart from the strange limit of 3,632 baht, where do they get that from?

Lol, from the same place they get numbers like "42.06%" in the plethora of polls Thais seem to like.

A lack of understanding of significant digits. More decimal places = better at job.

Well if farmers who can't plant a second crop of rice and support their families, former deck chair and umbrella hire workers, former employees and owners of bars within 300 mths of a school and former employees of demolished hotels,resorts and bars all head to Bangkok looking for work there may be a fair line up for these passes.

It is discriminatory because the fare is determined by race. Why is that so difficult to understand? While they're at it, why not have different prices marked up in the supermarket. Let's have a row for those earning 10,000 baht or less, another for those earning 10,000-20,000 and so on. Those who earn more pay more. And let's have a row for non-Thais who must pay more regardless of how much the Thai customers earn. You know, the same policy you support with the BTS.

Take that chip off your shoulder, it is not discriminatory at all

The reason is Thais, no matter how little they earn pay into the system in one way or the other, tourists do not

Do Tourists going to the UK get free bus travel? Of course not

Not everything is about race, unless you are part of the silly PC brigade of course

Why don't you address your complaints to the relevant Government department and post the reply here, I could do with a laugh

another stupid idea ... but it does show where the hearts of this military junta are....

Sansern said taxpayers' money had been used to subsidise free services and they were being used by higher income earners and foreign tourists - not the target groups. This had resulted in a heavy burden and continuing losses.

I can think of other places which result in a higher/heavier burden and continued losses...

Seems to be a Thai challenge for Thais to work out. If I am offered a discount, I have an attitude of gratitude. If no discount is offered, I pay my way and move on with life.

Living life on Life's Terms seems the easiest route for this mortal being.

I don't know if anyone has ever calculated:

If I make every public transportation free in Bangkok, I loose a lot money, BUT I also save a lot money:

All money collectors, the boots in the skytrain with 4 people inside, the computers the electronic etc.

There would be less cars on the street so saving on streets, accidents, delays, road maintenance.

Having less polution, better city, more tourists.

Would be interesting....I can't image that the cheap buses make so much money that it is worth it.

On the few occasions I've found myself on a free BKK bus, usually a red one, there's of course been a driver but no fare taker.

So, if I understand their plan correctly, in order to go to a pass system for youngsters and the very low income, they're going to have to add/hire fare takers for all the currently free BKK buses in order to enforce the new system -- and of course, that means increasing the salary cost of running the service.

However, considering the organizational skills and efficiency levels of local government, I'm somehow doubting that they'll be able to implement the kind of eligibility system they're talking about in any near term timeframe. They're great at talking and announcing, and not quite so good when it comes to tackling the actual issues.