Corruption in Pattaya - Would You?

sharecropper

Friends who still do business here tell me some official agencies in Pattaya are worse than ever since the coup.

I just wonder if members would ever use a Local Whistleblower Hotline if one were set up along the lines of the BOT-company one announced today? Or would you just pay up and shut up?

(http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Bribery-hotline-for-foreign-investors-30273474.html)

I think corruption is inexcusable under any circumstances and would always denounce it.

Along with noise, the inherent greed and dishonesty of many of the people, and the laissez-faire attitude of many of the rest, are the things that I dislike most about Thailand.

bribery and corruption can get you anything you want if you have enough money.... I think the U.S. democratic process they use in government is based on this. Big companies pay mega big bucks to the right people to get Bills passed....

In the U.K. the oil companies bank rolled the Conservative party during Maggie Thatchers reign, the Unions did the same for the labour party..

Look at the Jet Ski madness - they now have the bare faced cheek to have an office you can go to on beach road where they can still scam you out of your money and make you feel better knowing you have made an official complaint but you still lose.....

Commiting a driving offence and just paying a meagre fine and driving off minutes later without rectifying your activities or having them put on a data base (no helmet, no paperwork, no insurance) is at the base level of the corruption.

Since paying people off with cash in S.E. Asia and all of the orient has been done since money was invented nothing is going to change fast round these parts.

Right minded people, people with inegrity, people who know right from wrong hate this, but there are plenty of ex-pats who live here because they know they can get away with many things and not give a damn. They will never phone a hot line to complain they prefer to compound the mandess.

bribery and corruption can get you anything you want if you have enough money.... I think the U.S. democratic process they use in government is based on this. Big companies pay mega big bucks to the right people to get Bills passed....

In the U.K. the oil companies bank rolled the Conservative party during Maggie Thatchers reign, the Unions did the same for the labour party..

Look at the Jet Ski madness - they now have the bare faced cheek to have an office you can go to on beach road where they can still scam you out of your money and make you feel better knowing you have made an official complaint but you still lose.....

Commiting a driving offence and just paying a meagre fine and driving off minutes later without rectifying your activities or having them put on a data base (no helmet, no paperwork, no insurance) is at the base level of the corruption.

Since paying people off with cash in S.E. Asia and all of the orient has been done since money was invented nothing is going to change fast round these parts.

Right minded people, people with inegrity, people who know right from wrong hate this, but there are plenty of ex-pats who live here because they know they can get away with many things and not give a damn. They will never phone a hot line to complain they prefer to compound the mandess.

That's not corruption. It might not be the best way to get things done, but lobbying is something we all do. Corruption is a bit different:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corruption

Corruption is a form of dishonest or unethical conduct by a person entrusted with a position of authority, often to acquire personal benefit.[1] Corruption may include many activities including bribery and embezzlement, though it may also involve practices that are legal in many countries.[2]Government, or 'political', corruption occurs when an office-holder or other governmental employee acts in an official capacity for personal gain.

P.S. I'm absolutely against the shenanigans corporations use in their lobbying efforts. Many laws have been passed to control this, but obviously not enough. I agree with KK's comment 100%.

Since there are no liability laws, why does corruption bother you people so much? It's just how the society works, love it or leave it. I'd personally rather pay off people than have to sue them in court. Which reminds me, where is the money deposited on the Waterfront condo project still delayed?

Tell that to a guy I know who was killed by some hi-so while driving his scooter. All covered up and brushed under the rug by the police.

Anyone of you (probably the majority) ,who pay the Police a bribe ,rather than go to the Police station and pay the right traffic fine ,are not in a position to complain .

And what's the difference between paying 400B on the spot or 500B at the station? I guess you do get a receipt at the station. But nothing is logged, so easy repeat the violation again! LOL

And what's the difference between paying 400B on the spot or 500B at the station?

if you dont know ,then i wont even try to enlighten you .B.T.W it looks like you have been over paying the Plod on the street .People who do this ,tell me its usually a B200 bribe .

Edited by Rimmer
Please use the quote function when repying

And what's the difference between paying 400B on the spot or 500B at the station?

if you dont know ,then i wont even try to enlighten you .B.T.W it looks like you have been over paying the Plod on the street .People who do this ,tell me its usually a B200 bribe .

That was a rhetorical question. Understand? And no, the payment down here for a lot of violations is 400B. Paid it more than once. Seat belts. I paid 30B for "speeding" in Issan. They asked for 100B, but told them I wasn't speeding. They asked for money for tea. Granny was yelling at them, but 30B got me on my way. What can ya do.

And no, the payment down here for a lot of violations is 400B. Paid it more than once. Seat belts.

I was stopped once for seat-belts. The policeman said I could pay him 1000B cash or pay 400B at the station. Needless to say I went to the station.

Stupid people.

Last time down in Pattaya ,i made a left turn near Tonys gym ,and it seems you are not supposed to .Plod stopped me as i rounded the corner .Went to police station soi 9 .The desk cop asked for B600 .I had to point him the sign on the wall saying B400 for that offence .So you can be scammed in the Police station as well lol

Edited by anto

Yes I think corruption increased, I noticed that while on a specific visa.

Corruption is always in my favor so I wouldn't call any hotlines.

For example I pay 500 baht directly to the cops instead of paying 400 baht at the station as it simply saves me time.

Edited by dennis123

Along with noise, the inherent greed and dishonesty of many of the people, and the laissez-faire attitude of many of the rest, are the things that I dislike most about Thailand.

I seem to encounter this greed and dishonesty far too often these days to the point where it almost feels like its a piss take even if mostly its for petty cash amounts

corruption on the root levels isnt a big problem, especially for us foreigners.

regarding bars and restaurants, they got to pay the cops because they almost all break the rules: no license, no alcohol license, no music and TV fees paid, no work permit for the farang, no work permit for the burmese/cambodian workers... you name it.

I know some businesses who don't pay bribes because they got all paperwork correct including the farang boss' work permit. So it's not impossible as most Brits like to repeat over and over ad nauseum.

Edited by manarak

For example I pay 500 baht directly to the cops instead of paying 400 baht at the station as it simply saves me time.

Corruption is in your favor until it isn't. Then you're really out of luck.

One big problem with corruption is safety and infrastructure. Bad roads? Corruption. Dangling power lines? Corruption. Flooding? Corruption. Loud noise from a karaoke bar at 3am? Corruption. Drunk driver hit you? Possibly a repeat offender due to corruption. A lot of problems with road safety are due to corruption...lousy police.

So not sure it's always in our favor. The biggie now is roadside checks for alcohol. Though actually a good thing, the pendulum has swung the other way and seems to be a big money maker for them.

Corruption is fuelled by those that pay "bribes" as they want something that they don't meet the legal criteria for. If siting police checks paying is only needed if you are in the wrong so again rather than taking the correct punishment prefer to pay.

You just think it's in your favour.

You see yourself saving time. I see you wasting 100B whilst at the same time encouraging more scams and corruption.

Thailand is not the sort of place I would live in if I was short of time, but as I have absolutely nothing to be in a hurry for it suits me quite well.

Corruption is in your favor until it isn't. Then you're really out of luck.

One big problem with corruption is safety and infrastructure. Bad roads? Corruption. Dangling power lines? Corruption. Flooding? Corruption. Loud noise from a karaoke bar at 3am? Corruption. Drunk driver hit you? Possibly a repeat offender due to corruption. A lot of problems with road safety are due to corruption...lousy police.

So not sure it's always in our favor. The biggie now is roadside checks for alcohol. Though actually a good thing, the pendulum has swung the other way and seems to be a big money maker for them.

You see yourself saving time. I see you wasting 100B whilst at the same time encouraging more scams and corruption.

Thailand is not the sort of place I would live in if I was short of time, but as I have absolutely nothing to be in a hurry for it suits me quite well.

A nice case study of generational differences here, perhaps? Dennis's perspective seems more "what's in it for me" or what's the easiest thing at the moment, and Craig/KK seem more like long-term, what's-best-for-the-overall-good perspective. Not judging, just observing.

Edited by wpcoe

And of course the #1 problem due to corruption here today! Expensive wine! No reason for this other than corruption at very high levels by very powerful people.

Let's not forget the floods a few years ago were caused by a politician forcing a governmental agency to not release water from dams so his constituents could have 2 rice plantings. Then the first car rebate to pay back the auto companies. Which has created massive problems in a variety of ways. Water quality is also a big issue due to corruption.

I'm with Dennis I'm afraid, I only every went to soi 9 if they wouldn't let me pay on the spot or pay a motorbike taxi driver to go there to pay the fine.

smile.png

Edited by davethailand

Playing by the system is for people with no balls. Break all rules and you get ahead.

You dont belive in Karma then or an after life ,where you shall be judged? ...''What does it proffit a man ,if he gains the whole World but looses his soul ''...see you in Hell (but i hope to be looking down on you ;-)

Edited by anto