Thai lecturers protest against alleged military intimidation on campus

webfact

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Military and leadership in Thailand are without doubt taking away freedom of speech and even controlling thought. Thats why we here on Thai Vista are not permuted to make reference to what is going on or be banned from the forum. So this is a forum only in name as it does not permit one to speak freely.

Why are you posting here then?

“...Closing the eyes and ears of the people through intimidation or unjust powers will only lead to further conflicts,” he said..."

Very well put. Unfortunately, it is falling on the ears of someone who has his own agenda and interests, rather than the good of the people of Thailand.

I would like to see this country governed by people who have an own agenda and interest FOR the good of the people of Thailand...!

Did it, ever, happen, till today, hmm? Please, 'enlighten' me...

'This' is no good, agreed, but is it, anywhere, worse than what happens here for generations, or rather the opposite. Call me cynical, but I'd say rather not, so...

Edited by bangrak

Military and leadership in Thailand are without doubt taking away freedom of speech and even controlling thought. Thats why we here on Thai Vista are not permuted to make reference to what is going on or be banned from the forum. So this is a forum only in name as it does not permit one to speak freely.

Because the candle (of freedom) is still flickering!

post-209291-0-86978200-1448286433_thumb.

'Jackin1960' thought he was posting on Thai Vista... When he would have realised he was on Thai Visa, he could have know that, until biased darvishes will have turned the air in pestilence here, we are allowed to speak freely, about our personal opinions!

Got to the second sentence before I saw the word "Thammasat".

Then I stopped reading.

"Few things are more worthless than a hypocrite and his arguments"

Absolutely John, Absolutely.

Such a pity that you tout yourself as an Englishman and can't even bring yourself to condemn your false idols for such a blatant act of repression.

Take your head out of your ar..

Your no Englishman.

'EnglishJohn' might not even be an Englishman, up to you, but it wouldn't give him any less right to express his opinion here, than you are, alas, granted, whether you like it, or not!

And the way you write makes me fear you even consider yourself as a glorified democrat... To use your kind of abusive rhetoric, I'd tell you: I guess for you it'd be difficult to take you head out of your ar.., as your ar.. seems to be what you use to 'speak' through.

Edited by bangrak

Because the candle (of freedom) is still flickering!

attachicon.gifflicker.jpg

Indeed it is, and guess two things:

1) it could be 'blown out' any time, and with good reasons IMO, considering the 'material' 'some' posters go on posting here: ultra-biased turned-and-twisted 'info' and pure vicious propaganda, instead of documented personal opinions, and whether that would be an 'outside decision', or, like on 'the other paper' the trashing of (my estimate, counting the number of my 'posts' not published there) 80+% of the posts, the 'leaning' also obviously depending on the 'moderator(s)' on shift's (quite obvious lately) own 'bias';

2) when it would be 'blown out' it would be all you guys' fault that, not only the ones opposing your, erm, opinions, as I do (not because of bias, for what I'm concerned) would be shut out, but all of you yourselves would lose this platform, you wouldn't be allowed to rant here anymore, do you realise that?

Will you, could you, all together, show some sense of responsibility, please?

And the odds are... (I know, 'responsibility' is a bad concept here, LOL)

Edited by bangrak

There is a scientifically proven link between education and income.
Generally speaking, the higher the education level, the better the income situation.
This is an economic consideration for all people living within a country.
However, if the research, science, teaching, is trimmed, a country will lose there competitive advantage.
The question here is, what is good for all, and what is good for a few?
To curtail the science is medium to long term, a shot themselves in the foot.

Then I stopped reading.

Such a pity that you tout yourself as an Englishman and can't even bring yourself to condemn your false idols for such a blatant act of repression.

Your no Englishman.

'EnglishJohn' might not even be an Englishman, up to you, but it wouldn't give him any less right to express his opinion here, than you are, alas, granted, whether you like it, or not!

And the way you write makes me fear you even consider yourself as a glorified democrat... To use your kind of abusive rhetoric, I'd tell you: I guess for you it'd be difficult to take you head out of your ar.., as your ar.. seems to be what you use to 'speak' through.

I am not any kind of democrat or otherwise but I belive in democracy. I simply can't stand his hypocrisy and do not believe any true Englishman who claims to have been a British soldier could support a military takeover of a government elected by the majority of the Thai people. All governments have flaws. If you dont like them elect them out. He is a hypocrite because he certainly would not support a military coup in the UK . He just dances to his wifes tune.

Then I stopped reading.

Your no Englishman.

I am not any kind of democrat or otherwise but I belive in democracy. I simply can't stand his hypocrisy and do not believe any true Englishman who claims to have been a British soldier could support a military takeover of a government elected by the majority of the Thai people. All governments have flaws. If you dont like them elect them out. He is a hypocrite because he certainly would not support a military coup in the UK . He just dances to his wifes tune.

Your incendiary rhetoric and the personal attacks against a third person it contains force me to stop exchanging with you.

Time is a healer. Next week this protest will be all forgotten about. Have you asked yourselves why the current government is making enemies of everyone in society? To keep the news of whats going on back stage quite. Read into it what you will. Maybe this current government is the best option in times of unrest and worry.

Thammasat are not going to influence the UN. They will listen to the PM ., just remember the admiration,attention and respect they payed him when he honoured them with a visit recently.

Edited by oldsailor35

Then I stopped reading.

Your no Englishman.

Your incendiary rhetoric and the personal attacks against a third person it contains force me to stop exchanging with you.

Thank you so very much I don't recall inviting you to stick your nose into my post about Johnny boy; and given your procivities to support the same undemocratic and very hypocritical people that he does, I am very happy that we wont have to read any more of your nonsensical posts. This of course is my personal opinion. I can only hope that this means we wont have to read about your whitewashing the corruption (alleged) over the statues and explaining why they are above investigation by outside parties if they have nothing to hide.

'Mr Anusorn insisted that universities are venues for learning and academic exchanges of views on various issues and, therefore, free expressions should be allowed and promoted' How not to agree fully with Mr Anusorn? Ideally that is what it should be, everywhere in the world!

But, what reality is showing is often quite different, and for sure not only in Thailand. Under the disguise(!) of freedom of opinion and speech, how many academics have made themselves guilty(!) of manipulation, of endoctrination, using, and abusing of, young, exalted, hot tempered, ...gullible, intellectual-elites-of-the-future for their own, extremist, malicious, POLITICAL purposes?!

IMHO, one, more like everyone, should do its best to keep POLITICS OUT of universities! Nothing to do with the kind of Government a country is under.

N.B.: In my country, then, it were mostly ultra-left academics, many of brilliant, trying to pull the students they were supposed to teach inside the dangerous spiral of extremism and activism.

I remember a, very active, and highly successfull, association 'for the free Cambodia' (or so), with many well-known members: university academics, up to deans and rectors, important left politicians, artists, writers, etc., oddly quite some of were also active leaders of Amnesty International.

There were many students from Cambodia in those days, most followed those pipers and went back to participate to the so highly praised new dawn of their country, under the Khmer Rouge, only two that I know are still alive today, they were then criticised for not going back, ALL the ones who went are... DEAD!

It took many years for, most, members of this association to admit ANY wrongdoing by the Khmer Rouge, even denying the accumulating atrocious evidence, going on (ab)using of their freedom of speech to defend Pol Pot and his bunch...

P.S.: To 'GeorgesAbitbol' #5: How many ACADEMICS died in 73 and 76? 'Only' their students, maybe?

To 'GeorgesAbitbol' #5: How many ACADEMICS died in 73 and 76? 'Only' their students, maybe?

hmm, why don't we do this... instead of speculating, you research it and find the answer then report back... and when you do, then you can also explain why it makes a difference. OK?

Please no to Deja Vu.

1973massacres2.jpg

Where are the Thammasat professors on the picture? 'Only' their students on it, hmm, go wonder why, were they hiding somewhere, maybe...?

in case you haven't been curious enough to read up, ...

The Massacre[edit]

At dawn on 6 October, the military and the police as well as the three paramilitary forces began blocking all exits out of the university and shooting into the campus, using M-16s, carbines, pistols, grenade launchers, and even large-gauge recoil-less rifles.[32] Prevented from leaving the campus or even sending the wounded to the hospital, the students begged for a cease-fire even though the attacks continued.[33] The actors in the mock hanging had already turned themselves in to Seni at the prime minister’s offices.[34] When one student came out to surrender, he was shot and killed.[35] After a free-fire order was issued by the Bangkok police chief, the campus was stormed, with Border Patrol Police personnel in front leading the attack.[36] Students diving into the Chaophraya River were shot at by navy vessels while others who surrendered, lying down on the ground, were picked up and beaten, many to death.[37] Some were hung from trees and beaten, others were set afire while female students were raped, alive and dead, by police and Red Gaurs.[38] The massacre continued for several hours, and was only halted at noon by a rainstorm.[39]

Quite right, sort the unis out as they are not helping by possibly encouraging the unthinkable such as students asking questions and thinking for themselves.

How can any ruling elite be expected to control the country with that attitude being spread and, heaven forbid , catching on ?

Edited by NongKhaiKid

POLITICS
Lecturers tell NCPO: Stop threats to academics and students

KASAMAKORN CHANWANPEN
THE NATION

30273592-01_big.jpg?1448313389798

A GROUP of lecturers yesterday called on the junta to stop threatening academics and students who express political views.

BANGKOK: -- The group, gathered under the Network of Lecturers Concerned for Detained Students, submitted a letter to chief of the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) Prayut Chan-o-cha through the government's public service centre. The letter carried signatures of more than 300 local and foreign lecturers.

Ten representatives, led by Thammasat University sociology lecturer Anusorn Unno, read a statement together with the submitted letter.

The move came in response to an alleged police threat to summon at least six university lecturers for allegedly violating the NCPO order banning gatherings of more than five people.

Chiang Mai University lecturers Attachak Satayanurak and Somchai Preechasilpakul were summonsed to report to the police in Chiang Mai today. They were among lecturers who held a press conference with the title "Universities Are Not Barracks" last month to counter claims that universities were hatching criticism of the government.

'Universities are not barracks'

Anusorn yesterday stood firm, reiterating that "universities were not barracks and Thailand was not a military camp". The statement he read called on the NCPO to stop interfering in universities' affairs, including their teaching approaches and curricula for students.

The group also asked the junta to stop threatening them and their students for expressing political views.

"Pressing charges against academics who criticise the NCPO is considered a threat to and a violation of rights and freedoms. It is academics' job to educate the public," said Anusorn, adding that lecturers in his group had been repeatedly threatened by the authorities while students were prohibited from holding political activities.

The group further claimed the junta had demanded an academic course that praised the military. This contradicted basic rights and freedoms of education, the activist lecturer said.

He said that if the threats from the junta to academics continued, the group would step up their action.

The group would watch closely how the meeting between Chiang Mai based lecturers and the police today turned out, he said. Also, they were eager to hear the government's response to the statement, he said, adding that they would decide on their next move within the next fortnight.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Lecturers-tell-NCPO-Stop-threats-to-academics-and--30273592.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-11-24

Thammasat University again showing the way and all kudos to them. Thank you to the courageous and brave academics and students who keep the flame of freedom alive in Thailand.

Oh my! 'Thammasat University again showing the way...' of all places, '...courageous...(till)...Thailand' bunch of overpaid mandarines, where did you study propaganda in fact? In Beijing under Mao? Agit-prop must have been your favourite part...

Bangrak, let's face it, you are an ultra right wing reactionary with a beef against academics.

They had a society run by people like you back in Germany in the 30's and 40's, but it didn't work out.

They were very heavy handed and allowed the psychopaths to run loose in military uniforms.