2-entry tourist visa: 1 day overstay, any consequences for 2nd entry?

I have a double entry tourist visa and I am on my 1st entry.

For reasons i will not go into, I've had to postpone my flight to Europe in December by 24 hours which means that I will have to either overstay by 1 day or go to the immigration and pay 1900 baht for a visa-extension.

I tend to choose the cheapest and "easiest" solution (pay for overstay and not have to go to the immigration) - but if I choose to overstay by 1 day will that have any consequences for my 2nd entry? Will my visa be cancelled due to overstay and/or could I face other problems when entering Thailand (Bangkok Airport) after Christmas.

I am aware that if caught by police on the day of departure (day of overstay) I could be in serious trouble, but as I will take the bus to the airport at lunchtime and will stay at home until then, the risk of getting caught is very low (I think).

• 1 month later...

I just left by bus though the border going to Cambodia and was over one day. Last year immigration in BKK said one day over was no charge. They charged me 500 baht for the one day. I was not happy since I was told otherwise. They were arrogant and arrested me, interviews me, fined me for the one day and then made me sign admission of guilt. I was not happy since I did not expect to be charged for the one day.

What kind of way is that to treat a tourist??? It was only one day!!!

The problem with the military government is that they are strict and don't care about anything except the rules. I didn't think they had a rule to charge me of the one day over? They don't do things that benefit the Thai people or tourists that spend money, all they care is to act like the military. Pretty shitty!!

Edited by cameraman888

I just left by bus though the border going to Cambodia and was over one day. Last year immigration in BKK said one day over was no charge. They charged me 500 baht for the one day. I was not happy since I was told otherwise. They were arrogant and arrested me, interviews me, fined me for the one day and then made me sign admission of guilt. I was not happy since I did not expect to be charged for the one day.

The problem with the military government is that they are strict and don't care about anything except the rules. I didn't think they had a rule to charge me of the one day over? They don't do things that benefit the Thai people or tourists that spend money, all they care is to act like the military. Pretty shitty!!

Border crossing have always charged for one day of overstay. Only the airports in Bangkok waive the fine for one day of overstay.

as ubobjoe posted they always charge at land crossing, maybe the 'arrest' had more to do with your attitude, or wasn't an arrest but a move to a dirrent office to pay the fine.

as i always post do it right get a visa and stay legal.

What has the military government got to do with it. The immigration act was written over 30 years ago and the overstay charging policy was the same prior to the coup! If immigration/the government wanted to apply the letter of the law ("the rules") you could be fined 20k, imprisoned for up to 2 years, or both and deported. 500 baht is a small price to pay.

I doubt you were arrested in the proper sense of the word, if you had you would still be in a cell awaiting deportation for overstaying

As others have said it's 500 Baht per day fine at land crossings for overstaying, it seems your lack of knowledge on this matter and attitude towards the Immigration Officers has caused you this problem

Edited by darrendsd